Author Topic: Is there a Diabolo rpm speed record?  (Read 10282 times)

mofro

• Donator
Re: Is there a Diabolo rpm speed record?
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2008, 02:03:57 PM »
I'm sure Ive created a thread about this a while ago as well, oh well

I'm sure someone said that there was a RPM meter on a yo yo at some point would be nice to get some kind of clip or image for that, anyone?

-The approximate coefficient of friction was .017 between the axle and the string.  This is fairly loose given that I was unable to accurately model something slipping on a string.
i would say the the coefficient in this case would be considerably higher than that, but this is just an educated guess and i could be completely wrong (in saying that I'm not sure how you would apply the equation F=μR to a rotating object).
Just out of intrest did u determin a baring diabs top RPM and retardation times to compair with your fixed axle results?
Very intersting, very intersting indeed.
Mofro
**** fixed and bring on the slack!

Sharpes

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2008, 12:36:15 AM »
Yah, I too was surprised by the low friction coefficient, and I think it's due to the approximations I made in calculating it.  And we don't own any bearing diabolos so no measurements were taken on them  :P.
Jacob and Nate Sharpe

Nahxela

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2008, 05:01:34 AM »
I guess the low coefficient is necessary to prevent the axle gripping with the string too often?
That would seem to be a logical answer for me...
Give a man fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life

mofro

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2008, 12:00:48 PM »
I guess the low coefficient is necessary to prevent the axle gripping with the string too often?
That would seem to be a logical answer for me...

still tho it is far to low, with a co-efficent that low the diab 'should' glide on the string for 20 min's   
**** fixed and bring on the slack!

Nahxela

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2008, 12:51:47 AM »
still tho it is far to low, with a co-efficent that low the diab 'should' glide on the string for 20 min's   
Ah, well, we can't be too sure, since the Sharpes (or whichever one had performed the experiment) had noted that their measurement of the coefficient wasn't necessarily accurate because it was hard to measure...
Give a man fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life

Martin_

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2008, 10:39:52 PM »
So who's going to bring a laser tachometer, calculator and some reflective tape to bjc? :P

I'm sure the experiment could be done with all sorts there, i'm assuming it didnt take too long to carry out?

Circus and flies would be definatly interesting to do it with. Could gather imperical evidence of whether the finess or circus is better at least for spin and friction.

DiaboloBRODiggy

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2008, 12:02:06 AM »
Ahhh... and then the conflict on string-nylon or kevlar? how long? maybe a diabolo spinning machine that gets it going reall fast...
Marine Sniper:
Run all you want, you will just die tired.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal