Author Topic: Diabolo Ignorance  (Read 18173 times)

pippy

Diabolo Ignorance
« on: October 11, 2007, 09:35:18 PM »
Today I brought my diabolo into school.  I did a bit of loop diabolo and some good old tradiotional diaboloing with sticks.  I got mixed responses as normal.  The regular bull sh*t, ' I can do that' or 'Im good at that'.  Though truly the funniest was when i did the easy crowd pleaser, the elevator (a.k.a the lift).  Exactly two responses:
1. (nearly everyone) Wow, how does that work?!
2. (one idiot) Whah!? You wrapped the string round it... Thats cheating!

The same idiot refused to believe that wrapping was a normal thing to do in diabolo...

I wondered if anyone else has been subjected to such funny ignorance?
Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol.

SilentScreamer

Re: Diabolo Ignorence
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 10:08:42 PM »
Wow, you can walk with the diabolo! :o

:D

thewu

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 12:04:54 AM »
I wondered if anyone else has been subjected to such funny ignorence?

sorry but i just had to point out - it's ignorance w/ an "a". no offense intended, just found it ironic. :p

pippy

Re: Diabolo Ignorance
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2007, 12:29:31 AM »
Point taken  ;D

Shaun

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2007, 12:32:58 AM »
People are usually just joking and being sarcastic by saying they can do it. Give the idiots a go, and watch them fail misserably :D, gets you a bit more respect.

Nahxela

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007, 12:38:14 AM »
People are usually just joking and being sarcastic by saying they can do it. Give the idiots a go, and watch them fail misserably :D, gets you a bit more respect.
If only everyone of them was like that.
Every now and then you get the really stubborn ones that go on about how they can, try it, find out they suck and refuse to give it back until they can do a toss and catch.

Fan-flipping-tastic. You caught it after, what? Fifty tries? Next diabolo protige...
Give a man fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life

k2pek2

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2007, 01:02:30 AM »
me: shuffling two right after a left sun.
idiot from school: does that take any skill at all?
me: what do you think?
idiot from school: no.
me: i have a diabolo and some sticks over there in my bag. go take them, and try to do a halfway decent trick with only one.
idiot from school: i'd rather not.
me: then why don't you shut up as you obviously aren't confident that you have the skill to handle these.
-John

pippy

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2007, 01:14:30 AM »
People are usually just joking and being sarcastic by saying they can do it

I found that they are just trying to make anyone around them like them by degrading your skill.  Usually these tossers are people that have either:

1. Seen a show or busker performing
2. Bought one or got given one as a random present, gave it a go and barely got it spinning so gave up when the throw was screwed up.
3. Been to a circus workshop in which the guy claims they are amazing for a beginner (can now throw the diabolo 2 feet in the air and catch it occassionally!) in hope that they will buy one off of him.

If these three laws are correct I should know many 'ace' diaboloists! some can even *gasp* throw it about 4 foot in the air and catch it!

n3mo

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2007, 02:14:55 AM »
hm. i tend not to get the 'can you teach me?' more often than 'thats not fair'. i tell them 'if you'll learn'...most of them walk away =D
really, the only real messed up comments i've received are rather racist (albeit vaguely amusing) remarks that are something like "those crazy asians"...
(and them not realizing that there are plenty of skilled diabolists of all races...*shrug*)
- Princeton Juggling Club -

thewu

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2007, 02:36:34 AM »
there's surprisingly a lot of takers in my school who are willing to learn. the others... i tell them that if they break my diabolo, they owe me $60. :p

looby

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2007, 02:43:12 AM »
It was all about yoyos and magic cards when I was at school.  The money I spent on that very pointless phase (the cards) could have gone towards a decent amount of diabolo stuff.  Ah well, we all learn
Rennes July 10-17th 2011!

willum89

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2007, 03:15:42 AM »
Whenever I see anybody doing diabolo I immediately declare a diabolo-off. Then I beat them down to the point that they don't even want to continue diabolo anymore. j/k
I've only seen 1 guy do diabolo, in addition to ball juggling, and I just let him do his thing, everyone kinda just crowded around him and were amazed. A couple of my buddies told me to ask to borrow it and do some tricks but I don't like to steal other people's thunder. When I'm doing diabolo I try to encourage other people to try, very few do, even fewer continue after the first few failed attempts.
Unlike juggling where you can get a basic idea of it by simply picking up a couple of rocks or just about anything and trying to juggle and then realizing how hard it is to get 3 or 4 going, diabolos are expensive and there is no substitute (ie. can't just pick up a dumbbell and make it spin) I find that very few people understand what tricks are more difficult and more amazing and seem to be impressed with just the simple elevator trick.

Well, that's my 2 cents...or Euro...pound...or whatever saying it is in Europe. (sorry, I'm very culturally ignorant)

Dan

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2007, 02:24:22 PM »
I actually had one of the funniest things happen to me when i was diaboloing at school.  I was just having a little play around with new tricks dropping it quite a lot and a random kid from the lower end of the school walked up and said, "I saw a way better diaboloist in town busking a few weeks back" to which i replied, "Was he wearing a blue hat with green trousers on and a stripy top? Because that was me!".  He refused to believe me so i showed him the stuff i was doing in town and still he said 'that bloke' was way better.  A compliment to me in a way  ;D  Also you get the usual idiots that think its a piece of cake so i carry a spare set of sticks and a fourth diab with me and just say show me something.  The ignorant ones come up with an excuse like, "I've never used these type of sticks before, they are weird!" or "The diabolo is broken or unbalanced so its not spinning properly".  Quite a few have actually just accepted its a hard thing to learn and have started getting the hang of it after hours of watching me show them a trick  :)  Same thing happens when i whip my balls out (sexual innuendo's are great :P).

Dan

Diablojay

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2007, 03:09:41 PM »
 :P just wanted to say to Dan your last line got me laughing. Cheers!  ;D
2d ability aquired on Friday 16th November '07

karl e dangerous

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2007, 09:27:59 PM »
sexual innuendos are indeed great i work in an after school club i was diaboloing for the kids, and some random (drunk) guy came up and said i can do that (a infinate soicide floor start) i took him up on his talk and laughed as he slammed my wooden stick in to his head and i said well done you really can do it cant you
sorry for my bad grammer

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2007, 11:14:20 PM »
I actually feel quite ok for spectators to ask stupid things, and try to be
the though guy for me. But the thing i got furious about, was a day before when
a beginner diabolo fellow saw me practising before an openstage show.
I was really amazed when he started to made really stupid comments on my
2diabolo and vertical stuff.

Well, he was like 8years younger, so i decided not be mean to him. But i was
so annoyed. I went to see the show. At the show that boy was supposed to
do 3-5 tricks but he dropped badly in every single one of them and ended up walking
out of stage really angry. I smiled the rest of the day and called that karma.  ;D
┬źDiabolo, whiter than the whitest!┬╗

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2007, 02:37:21 PM »
I know what you mean. When i started to diabolo at school(this has blown over now though) I was getting popular performing at lunch, and then everyone started clapping, and because of that we got lunch detention the next day and they all blamed me. I was thinking "You didn't have to clap, idiots." But now i do it when we get out of lunch, and sometimes at the end of the day, and a good vertax genocide brings them back to me ^^
Of course then there are the preps, who come up and say "You suck at that!" so i give them the sticks and they fail horribly, and make excuses and say i "rigged it" and stuff like that. One of em even got so mad he broke my sticks (Luckily i just had woodens at the time, and like 5 pairs of em, if he had broken my aluminums i would have cut his ear off ^^) And noone seems that interested in cides, except gens, and minigens. It seems nondiaboloists just cant appreciate talent.

diabolofreak617

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2007, 03:17:48 PM »
Thankfully, all the people I've let use my diabolo have been smart enough to realize that its impossible to start doing it really well without any previous practise. However, I know someone is bound to give me a hard time someday. Its a hard life for us jugglers  ::)
If Diaboloing was easy then everyone would be doing it.

garner

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2007, 10:19:16 PM »
damn nugglers!

Marijn

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2007, 06:41:10 AM »
I'm in the highest year of my school, so all it takes for spectators to shut up is a nasty look ::)
''I have been practising some basic 2d suicide stuff to widen my arse''

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal