Author Topic: making equipment more visible  (Read 3076 times)

Matt D

making equipment more visible
« on: October 18, 2007, 01:47:59 AM »
I was just wondering about making your equioptment more visable, especially sticks and string. Because the last time we were on stage you couldn't see the sticks well or the string at all, I'm not sure if there is much you could do about the string but I just painted my sticks white and am putting black electrical tape along the sticks. Do you think that will help much?

Shaun

• Donator
Re: making equiptment more visable
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 04:25:01 AM »
Use henrys yellow string, its pretty bright. And either get some white/light handsticks, or put bright tape on them.
Was it a light show, because if you can't see it, how can the audience?

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 07:14:00 AM »
Light your equipment on fire.
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

diabolofreak617

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 02:31:23 PM »
Because the last time we were on stage you couldn't see the sticks well or the string at all

This could have been due to stage lighting. If all the light is coming from behind you then your audience may not be able to see much. If you were doing a UV show you could paint your handsticks with UV paint. I think that Henry's yellow string looks quite nice under UV light.
If Diaboloing was easy then everyone would be doing it.

Alex!

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 03:46:49 PM »
When Im performing there is normally a small uv light somewhere on the stage. It makes a suprisingly large difference to the visiblity of your stirng, especialy if it is a relatively new length.
STOP! HAMMER 'TIJN

Pete

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 03:58:04 PM »
Use equipment with bright colours, change the colour of your handstick grips (to something UV if possible) so they're bright and easy to see. Use a fresh piece of string if possible so its as bright as it can be, rather than that horrid greyish colour they gow after alot of use. And wear contrasting clothes. If you have white handsticks, dont wear a white shirt. A few colour combinations dont work too well either. I've found the yellow string is harder to see on a white background so pink or orange is all good for that.
Typically white props are the most visible on stage, but can you play around with it.
The tallest trees from acorns grow.

Matt D

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 08:06:35 PM »
Thanks, I painted the sticks white like I said before and have been using yellow streing the problem was that the light was coming from behind me so now that I know what the problem was I should be able to fix it. Also when I painted my sticks it made the aluminum part alot more sticky, it isn't a huge problem but if anyone knows something that I can put on to make it less sticky that wsould be appreciated. Having the string grip to the stick is a pain when doing some tricks...

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 08:49:02 PM »
Could someone spell-check the topic title please?

As for visibility, you were being back lit on stage?  Were they trying to make a silhouette out of you?  Pete's said it most, make sure your props contrast with everything else, the backdrop, your clothes, perhaps the floor.  Most, not all, stages are black or dark on standard so light coloured or white props are most visible.  You can colour your string in with a black marker if you're afraid it's too pale to be seen.

I wrapped a bit of white paper around my sticks to give them a little more buzz in the UV light, but if you're lit with normal parkans or follow-spots then you should be fine.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal