Author Topic: Single Bell Question  (Read 5334 times)

brokentone

Single Bell Question
« on: July 08, 2008, 07:06:16 AM »
So. . . basically, I'm really new to this. I recently visited China, and I was in a park where an old dude was doing insane stuff with a single bell yoyo. I took a few photos of the action because it was so cool. He invited me over (even though I speak no Chinese, and him no English), and invited me to play with it. He taught me how to keep it going and accelerate it. However, I have no idea how to start it. He wrapped the string around it three times before doing something which I forget.

I found a yoyo like his at the pearl market in Beijing for 30 Yuan, and purchased it, but I have no idea how to start it. HELP?!?

Thanks!
brokentone.

logoman04

Re: Single Bell Question
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 07:44:43 AM »
for righties- roll it from right to left on the ground and then pickit up off the ground and start jerking your right hand up, and let your left hand go lax. that should put enough spin to stabalize it.

Check this link out.... it should help you out a lot.
http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=2248.0

hope i helped you
The entire world will die in the time of one day the reason being...o_O 3D O_o!!

nev

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 09:47:37 AM »
for righties- roll it from right to left on the ground and then pickit up off the ground
No no no - that wont help at all for a single bell (one sided diabolo) - to start it put it on open string with the cup (or bell) towards you - then twist it 2 or 3 whole turns clockwise (as you look on it from above) - then just give it a little spin with your hand and accelerate as you normally would - the diabolo will untwist itself by turning anti-clockwise and should have enough speed to be stable when fully untwisted - from this point you will need to turn with the diabolo (or let it turn and twist the string & do occasional suns to untwist the string again).

Good luck - they are good fun once you get the hang of it
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

Nick

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 10:13:21 AM »
Good to see more people playing with a single bell diabolo. When I first started playing single-sided I learnt from the instructions on Diabolo Tricks:
http://www.diabolotricks.com/Onesided.htm

These days I tend to put a left frontwrap (a loop of string around the axle) on the diabolo before twisting the strings. This causes the diabolo to gain speed faster.

There is a definite lack of resources for single-sided diabolo. I'll try to get a video of the start, accelerations and vertax filmed soon. In the meantime, look at some videos on Kongzhu.com for inspiration.

Nick.
City landmark might be feet lower if rebuilt (6,5)

Nick

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 09:58:06 AM »
I threw together a video to help you understand how I start the diabolo:
How to Start a Single-Sided Diabolo

It may take you a while to learn, especially if this is your first experience with a diabolo, but don't get discouraged. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them on here.

Good Luck,
Nick.

nev

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 12:33:29 PM »
Cheers Nick - a video says it much better than words
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

Matt?

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 05:56:44 PM »
nice socks nick
i go for walk now? it easy to find papers! look, i got this bag of filters!

Nick

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2008, 06:58:56 PM »
nice socks nick
Part of a colour coordinated set with days of the week written on the bottom. Therefore, in years to come, I can look back at this video and think "It must have been a Tuesday". A reassuring thought, I'm sure you'll agree.

Nick.

logoman04

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2008, 07:06:44 PM »
No no no - that wont help at all for a single bell (one sided diabolo)
quote]

Oops...... didnt even realize that...... :-[
Oh well, it looks like he got some other great help :P
The entire world will die in the time of one day the reason being...o_O 3D O_o!!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal