Author Topic: American Diaboloists  (Read 26748 times)

Re: American Diaboloists
« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2007, 04:09:47 AM »
whats this about yo-spin touring the country? 
  I don't know what ideas are roaming this forum but I was hoping I would find a group of people willing to put together a  festival tour for a band of diaboloists. If we got a promo email with a youtube video link. we might get free ticks and food (like they normally give volenters) and with a good prommotion mabe even some gas money to head out on the road and proform at this outdoor venues this summer. Because this festivals are held in big Fields it seems like the best place for a yo spin.  and because festivals are set up for all kinds of music from modern rock to bluegrass. all People of all types both diaboloists and spectaters will like the diabolo.
so a band of traveling jugglers living in tent city this summer seems like a natural fit. imagine what we could all learn from each other if we got out on the road for a month together. spinning everyothere day stopping at small towns and proforming at big festivals.

has any one tried it? I'd like advice. is any one intrested?

by festival here are some examples "All Good" in WV, "Bonnaroo" TN, "Gathering of the Vibes", NY. and those are the just the ones I've been to.  There are sooo many to choose from.
DavidRamsayIV@yahoo.com
^ is also my YouTube name
I really need to add a new video

The Diabolo keep spinning in my Head.

seán_

« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2007, 01:04:45 PM »
I'm quite willing to make the trip over and slap anybody who uses the word 'yo spin' in a non-ironic way.
Going around of your own back promoting yo spin helps the company (who for some reason believe Diabolo needed  rebranding) without actually costing them anything. (your not connected with them in any way David?).

Working festivals as a method of meet ups however is a valid idea and worth looking into. A core team with guest artists to cover different parts of the country. It might be worth looking into trading at festivals (juggling equipment) which usually costs (a fee plus you'd need transport and a stand) but you might be able to cut a deal with offers of performances, walkabouts and workshops.

As much as it pains me if Yospin are allready doing this you might want approach them (but dont sell your soul too cheaply)

TimEllis

« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2007, 02:22:05 PM »
You guys are crazy!  We never mentioned Yospin. 

Basically how it went down was I was watching Diabology and I said to myself "We could totally pull off something like that!"  I was originally thinking of making just a collaborative DVD.  Not necessarily all in one place.  And yeah Sean, basically form a core team that talks on a regular basis and works together. 
Keeping the world safe from boring people,

Tim Ellis

Check out my YouTube tutorials! 
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=TimEllis

Nahxela

« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2007, 08:14:33 PM »
I'm quite willing to make the trip over and slap anybody who uses the word 'yo spin' in a non-ironic way.
:D:D:D
I'm tempted to do so.

A diabolo team in America would be pretty sweet, but seeing as a lot of us seem to still be students, our actual group stuff would seem to be very limited...
And working out all those festivals seems a bit much to me for all of us to be able to coordinate :-/

Black Friday for those good 'ole electronic sales at Best Buy and whatnot ;)
Give a man fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life

« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2007, 09:42:14 PM »
as for my creditals I have been to all the festavels I used as examples.  as well as crossing the country twice & my latest and greatest was a 6 month tour of mexico (All 6 months were spent in a cloud coved bus I know no spinash going in) 
1ST We need to find a group of good diaoloists That can Commite a Gaven
To do this thing we need a promo video and a profesane looking feel. 
next Is to decide a route baced on who gives us what.
Next
Get a car pick up a the kids and go.

To do it cheep we'll have to camp every night.  Eatting out gets expensive fast.  so ham sandwich & cearel.

As for being young.   I would say being 18 or parent consent would be nessasey. however by not having a job. you have the time they say travel when you're young. so let's get out there and do it. WHO'S WITH ME.
DavidRamsayIV@yahoo.com

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2007, 11:04:04 PM »
And yeah Sean, basically form a core team that talks on a regular basis and works together. 

I call dibs!
Diabolo Acquired - Thurday, 2/08/07
Vertax Skill Acquired - Thursday, 4/12/07
2 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Tuesday, 5/29/07
3 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Eh, No?

Matt D

« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2007, 05:36:33 AM »
I would for sure want to do some diabolo stuff around the country, if only I had the money...

TimEllis

« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2007, 06:26:59 AM »
I think there's an awful lot of people in that same situation.  I propose an alternative.  Instead of "touring around," we could just make a collaborative thing with famous/neat backgrounds *in your area*  (say for example I could go do something with Niagara Falls in the background)

We could do a video, or a whole dvd if we wanted really.  Kind of an American Diabology.  Let me know what y'all think.
Keeping the world safe from boring people,

Tim Ellis

Check out my YouTube tutorials! 
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=TimEllis

cpai

« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2007, 12:35:11 AM »
I like that idea.

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2007, 01:04:01 AM »
that would be cool, we could have a whole segment on "Three Diabs Around America!" since I just took another step forward and fluked a run!
Diabolo Acquired - Thurday, 2/08/07
Vertax Skill Acquired - Thursday, 4/12/07
2 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Tuesday, 5/29/07
3 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Eh, No?

fzzyrn

« Reply #70 on: December 16, 2007, 02:40:09 PM »
i think yospin rebranded diabolo because it sounds too close to "diablo". That would make it hard to sell in predominately hispanic communities like Miami or whatever. I agree with their decision. If my child wanted me to buy something called a "satan" i wouldnt buy it either.

Nahxela

« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2007, 11:12:23 PM »
i think yospin rebranded diabolo because it sounds too close to "diablo". That would make it hard to sell in predominately hispanic communities like Miami or whatever. I agree with their decision. If my child wanted me to buy something called a "satan" i wouldnt buy it either.
People these days are just so overly protective... Who says that it's even intended to corrolate with the devil in the first place >_>
Wish that common sense was more common than it actually is.
Give a man fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life

fzzyrn

« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2007, 04:43:07 AM »
i mean, i know its not supposed to be like that. it comes from greek.
but how many other people know?

garner

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2007, 09:42:37 AM »
it comes from greek.

HA!
i think you may have just given me a great start to the day

Beni

« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2007, 02:50:01 PM »
It means "little devil", because it's a b*tch to learn, or something.

Beni

Nick

• Donator
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2007, 03:25:52 PM »
Wikipedia is your friend:
Quote from: Wikipedia
Etymology
"The term "devil" comes from the Greek word "διαβάλλω" (later "διάβολος"), meaning "to throw across". A secondary meaning of "διαβάλλω" is "to slander" or "to traduce", to talk ill about somebody. Hence the name "diabolo" has a connection with the Greek name for the devil. The name is the only thing that has a connection to the devil, and the diabolo is quite unrelated to any supernatural phenomenon. The name "diabolo" comes from two separate Greek words — "dia" and "bolo", meaning "object to throw". The word "diablo" has a Latin rather than Greek derivation."
It is Wikipedia so the usual caveats about reliability apply.

In conclusion, diabolo = "to throw across" or just "object to throw".

Nick.
City landmark might be feet lower if rebuilt (6,5)

diabolofreak617

« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2007, 05:57:59 PM »
In conclusion, diabolo = "to throw across" or just "object to throw".

That's true but I still have a devil of a time trying to explain the word's origin to people. (pun not intended)  ::)

I think this thread has gone a little off topic don't you think?
If Diaboloing was easy then everyone would be doing it.

TomerB

« Reply #77 on: December 20, 2007, 06:37:05 PM »

I'll Join you !

« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2008, 01:41:20 PM »
there are so many UK threads its time Americans had a go at this. 

Is there any place that us Americans can get to get together and spin because i can't handle watching another You Tube video.

so I live in the north east.  so I'm going to start there.  when what week end can all of us get together in say  Philadelphia... who would go
how about
New York .... could i convince the sharp brothers to come out?
Id even travel down to DC if we could get a group together
how about The All Good festival.  did any one here attended the All Good festivalin West Virgina. because when I was at the Philadelphia folk festival people keep asking if i was one of the people at All Good
so where are we going to meet
give me some feed back
DavidRamsayIV@yahoo.com

Xev

« Reply #79 on: April 27, 2008, 11:27:19 PM »
I live in northern West Virginia, close to the Pennsylvania state line, so I would be up for anything in PA or MD. Or if we are going to just do a video, I could maybe film part of it at Spruce Knob (The tallest mountain east of the Rockies.)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal