Author Topic: American Diaboloists  (Read 26744 times)

willum89

Re: American Diaboloists, Please Read.
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2007, 04:51:01 AM »
no, i really don't care enough about juggling conventions to contact them. as long as I'm having fun doing my diabolo thing I could care less what anyone else thinks. I just felt like bringing up the whole "they didn't even shoot us an email" thing to introduce some drama to the thread but it's getting old, don't wanna respond to anymore about it.

On a brighter note, HOOKAH PARTY IN FRONT OF THE TOWER!!!!

seán_

« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2007, 06:31:11 AM »
(just chipping in from across the pond)
A few years ago there was a BJC held in my home town, I'd been juggling (balls, clubs, devilstick, diabolo etc) for a while but didn't think it would really be my thing.
I've since been to many conventions and cant believe how lame I was passing up that convention and the many between it and when I finally got around to attending them.

It's $8 (free for UT students)? for 3 days worth of juggling/skill toy (whatever you want to pigeon hole it) fun and if I was within striking distance of it I'd be there in a heartbeat.

I don't know if you (Willum) were at UT in 95 and if the Chinese YoYo club had the same 'why havent they asked us to come' type thoughts but if so you missed out on Matt Hall and I know that's a HUGE missed opportunity right there.
Who knows maybe the organisers are sat there thinking, 'WTF we've been holding Jugglefest for the last 15 years, everybody knows about it, why haven't the Chinese YoYo lot turned up or emailed us, we keep bringing diaboloists* to Jugglefest, we have diabolo in the games and run diabolo workshops... what more could they want?'
To be fair, of all the jugglers/convention organisers I have met/heard of, I think ones that would wish to discourage people from coming would be hard to pick out.

Texas Juggling Society
Austin, Texas
Our Mission

The Texas Juggling Society is devoted to furthering the practice, study and appreciation of juggling and related manipulative arts and equilibristic disciplines. Such skills and activities may include the random or patterned throwing, catching, bouncing, swinging, jumping, twirling, spinning, dropping, rolling, dodging, replacing, mounting, or balancing of an object or series of objects, which may include sticks, stones, balls, clubs, scarves, bags, rings, diabolos, torches, unicycles, or other such items that may appeal to one's innate sense of Juggleness.

Primary functions of the Texas Juggling Society are (a) to render support, guidance and encouragement to individuals wishing to learn or enhance said skills and activities, (b) to arrange by all available means a meeting of regular time and place for open engagement of said skills and activities, and (c) to periodically present to the community said skills and activities for general appreciation and social therapy.
Dont really sound like exclusionary types to me.

Honestly I think they have better things to do than chase up every possible club and you should forget the imagined slight, go along and have a good time, meet diaboloists like Eric, share some ideas, catch a few shows see if it wets your appetite for a bigger event, maybe the IJA/EJC. (or at least pop along in the hope of picking up some diabolo equipment at a good price if they have a vendor there).

*Look at it as an investment. Since more and more diaboloists have been coming to UK/European conventions organisers have catered for us, this means we get a chance to see people like Ryo Yabe, William, Tempei, Matt Hall and Priam at recent BJC's with the Sharpes due at the next one. Vux, Pete, Zack etc at local one dayers etc etc. Similar things can happen in Austin, next year if they're wondering who to bring in and they know that they had diaboloists in 08...

« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2007, 01:12:18 PM »
I'll be at the IJA this year...Anyone else going to that?

matthewthegreat

« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2007, 02:46:02 PM »
I live in the four corners area of New Mexico USA but I doubt I could go to conventions and festivals unless they came very closes to where I live.

Nahxela

« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2007, 11:26:41 PM »
If you don't mind me asking, as I've never been to a convention, I was wondering what exactly one does at a convention (especially if you don't know 99.99% of the people there)?
I'd imagine there would be workshops, performances, and juggling games.

But what do you guys do inbetween???
Give a man fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life

willum89

« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2007, 07:40:53 AM »
in europe you go and get drunk and watch as time flies by, wheeee!!! Here.....check out downtown? take some pictures and send them back to mommy? I can't think of anything to do in between workshops. Just check out the surroundings, grab a bite to eat, there's really nothing exciting to do during the day.

seán_

« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2007, 05:04:47 PM »
What do you do at a juggling festival? (avoiding the word convention here because that has connotations of clipboards and rigid organisation)

You Juggle diabolo whatever. You trick share, you work on some trick that's been giving you kittens for ages but due to the atmosphere suddenly clicks.
You watch people, get inspiration from both people using your own prop and props that you would think have nothing in common.
You meet new people and make friends, you get to put faces to names and find out about stuff/tricks/gossip that doesn't come up on .ca and internet videos. Basically if you don't know somebody you will by the end of the festival, quite often users of the same props are drawn towards each other.
You drink (booze/tea/water/juice) and eat (meat/vegetables/healthfood/junkfood)
You meet random people and do strange things
You experiment.
You take and you give.
You get a pop at picking somebody up who understands your irrational attachment to a 'toy'.
If you want to check out down town, do so. I rarely leave the site, for others they love the opportunity to see somewhere new.
If workshops are your thing attend or offer them. Personally as more of a western styled diaboloist I'd be really happy to attend a diabolo workshop based on Chinese style diaboloing.
If your up for a bit of fun, join in the games. Or watch the games or make use of the space that's freed up or have your own fun.
You watch the renegade and get to see people either doing or trying very strange and or funny stuff, or things at the top at ability that they wont show to a non juggling audience. You get up there your self and see how your peers react.
You get to see a polished show and get to enjoy seeing that (or the chance to pull it apart for where you think it could have been better).
You take picture or video if thats your thing
You go and talk to the traders and see if you can get props for less than you can via mail order. (having had the chance to try them out either at the stall or by borrowing somebody elses.

Basically you can do plenty (or as little as you want)

Nahxela

« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2007, 11:38:06 PM »
Wow, thanks for that plethra of info :o
Sounds pretty cool to have so much to do!

What exactly is Renegade? I remember a bit from Diabology where I think Baptiste was doing 3 low while on top of a two leg lift and a few other bits...

Buying props in person sounds quite nice since I have to order everything online because there aren't any juggling stores in my area...
Give a man fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life

seán_

« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2007, 12:31:34 AM »
Renegade (or late shows) are varied beasts. generally there is a compere (usually a talented one with good crowd control) who might have sorted out a few acts before hand.
At the ones I have been to* people are encouraged to get up and do there thing. Some people have preplanned routines (generally not ones that go on and on), some have just one insane move they want to show.sometimes it might be a strange drunken thing (like 2 people rolabolaing on a beer keg, or Garners vertax genocide with his pants around his ankles - generally this stuff happens later on).
A late show might be a fairly straight show but not one meant for kids or the general public, so the heckles can be viscious, the language and in jokes more relevant and everybody has a better understanding of what's what and dont need to be spoon fed like a GP audience.
Interesting events generally and often an eyeopener - not everybody will enjoy it, not everybody will stay for the whole thing, not everybody will consider the early part the best bit and vis versa

As for vendors, check with the organisers to see if there will be a vendor and if you are thinking of getting anything especially phone ahead and ask if they can bring it.

*not been to a US one but they originated as an alternative to the IJA shows, to the extent they tend to be held away from the IJA venue to avoid friction.

« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2007, 05:13:23 PM »

I'm from south jersey. and would love to meet other people that spin. so where is the party.  Philadelphia is a great location for a centreal meeting but I would do any thing between (north MD) NY,NY  region. so if there are any plans please send them to me.
DavidRamsayIV@yahoo.com
^ is also my YouTube name
I really need to add a new video

The Diabolo keep spinning in my Head.

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
American Diaboloists
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2007, 10:38:23 PM »
Sorry it's kind of broader, and more known now, so I thought I should rename it...

Tim E. had a great idea! Make a huge American collaboration video with diaboloist across America doing insane tricks in America's insane places, in one big super diabolo travel event, during the summer! Whose with us!? ---But really I personally think this is a great idea and I would love to see where we can take this! DISCUSS!
Diabolo Acquired - Thurday, 2/08/07
Vertax Skill Acquired - Thursday, 4/12/07
2 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Tuesday, 5/29/07
3 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Eh, No?

Matt D

Re: American Diaboloists
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2007, 03:54:53 AM »
grand canyon, mount rushmore, top of rocky mountains(I could get footage there), redwood forest...I don't know about many in the east.

willum89

« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2007, 04:23:47 AM »
I'll be in vegas this winter and will be visiting the Grand Canyon. I'll just have to get really good by that time......or have a unique trick.

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2007, 05:02:48 PM »
Yeah, that would be cool, and also have a lot of instructional stuff, on how to do some of the more advanced tricks... or even like how the MFP did their instructional part except in the various places around the country!

« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2007, 06:19:40 PM »
I'm close to Philadelphia. If that helps, let me know what the world would like to see of Philly ( liberty bell, city call, the art museum, rocky, pats cheese steaks.  DC may also be a cool place to go.  dose any one know about a group of diabolist that tour festivals on the east cost.  i heard something along the lines of. "are you one of the kids that was at All Good doing that." All Good being a festival and doing that being diaboloing.  whats Yo spin?
DavidRamsayIV@yahoo.com

Matt D

« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2007, 07:06:55 PM »
yospin is another word for diabolo, if you are in philly some shots in front of liberty bell would be cool if you could...don't know if they would let you though

« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2007, 07:16:04 PM »
where are we seeding this videos
DavidRamsayIV@yahoo.com

Nahxela

« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2007, 09:33:58 PM »
Hopefully I'll have a camera by then that I can use >_>

I live near DC, so that'll be cool for me, I could diabolo on the mall (which isn't a shopping mall) and maybe get some friends together to do something.

matthewthegreat

« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2007, 12:15:13 AM »
Here is a video I made it the scenery around where I live  http://diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=3417.0
I think it would be good in the collaboration video

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2007, 12:33:45 AM »
Well, it's not my idea, and I don't want to be the sole organizer but it's great that everyone is interested! I will see what Tim says, I want to travel around and meet some of you and get some good locations in, as I'm still working with my mom to let me get a Canon HV20 (HD CAMCORDER!)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal