Author Topic: "Dancing with Diabolo" - 1 sided diabolo vertax from China  (Read 10656 times)

Sean

• Administrator
"Dancing with Diabolo" - 1 sided diabolo vertax from China
« on: November 05, 2007, 05:34:46 PM »
Just stumbled on this video on youtube. The quality isn't that great but there are some neat ideas in it that I found worth watching. The last few tricks are quite nice. This isn't your typical 13 year old 3d tricks video from Asia!
[youtube=425,350]OpDa1vFWAEA

Niclas

Re: "Dancing with Diabolo" - 1 sided diabolo vertax from China
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 05:49:20 PM »
Nice to see some old people do diabolo.
Your like diabolo news reporter Niclas, always bringing out the updates fast. Nice work.
http://wwww.youtube.com/DiaboloNiclas

Duncan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 05:54:35 PM »
I think I recognize a few people from this site. Could just be similar styles though.

I do believe that that was probably the coolest stuff I've seen in a long time. Thanks for sharing Sean :)

-Duncan

tipiphil

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 06:03:02 PM »
Great stuff... I wonder if we'll see more one sided stuff from the younger diabolists?

willum89

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 07:16:26 PM »
that was really cool, anyone know how they're accelerating it? it looks like they're just doing suns but do suns actually speed up much at all?

Ben.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 07:22:51 PM »
can you see in the background the people with really long string?
what is the point in that? does it open up any oppurtunities?

Rogelio Lopez

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 07:32:47 PM »
Its great to see older people playing diabolo.  I am over 50 and love playing both 1D and 2D diabolo. I have learned much from watching young people play diabolo; especially given the developments of the last few years. From my view I think its important to show that diabolo can be played by both young and old.

tommi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 07:37:18 PM »
That was a nice video. Lovely vertax-technique I think, so smooth and beautiful. And yeah, it is good to see older people with diabolos. I want to be like that when I'm in that age  :).

Sharpes

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 08:27:46 PM »
My brother and dad went to china last year for a trip, and found a group of old people just like this doing diabolo in a park. Its a fairly common form of exercise and leisure for the retired people in China. they do everything on the dark side, and only really use one sided diabolos.
Jacob and Nate Sharpe

Nahxela

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 09:29:34 PM »
Ah, the "dan tou ce ling," I've always liked this and with all those different grinds that the second guy doing the one sided Chinese yoyo did I want to go and practice with mine some more :)

Good find :)
Give a man fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life

Diabolo Bro

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 12:35:35 AM »
Do those ever lose spin ??? >:(
98 percent of the population will die at some point in their lives.

Sharpes

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007, 02:19:20 AM »
The suns in excalibur speed up the diabolo, so no, they don't ever lose spin.  I went to China this past summer and stumbled upon two different groups of old folks doing diabolo, all one sided.  Their sticks are super long, as are their strings, which makes it really scary to do excalibur like they do, what with the proximity to your face of the diabolo and the hard plastic nature of the one sided diabolo.  They do everything on the darkside as Jacob said, but it's not really that different from what we do except for the fact that you have to rotate even when you aren't in excalibur.  I even got to see some excalibur passing and loop diabolo which was super cool, and they were really excited to see tricks with 2 and 3 and just double sided diabolo in general.  They said that younger people in China don't really do diabolo because it's considered an old folks thing, kinda like...maybe shuffleboard or bridge in the US.  I got a couple one sided ones while I was there, for the amazing price of...$4US each.  Ridiculous.
Jacob and Nate Sharpe

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2007, 02:21:44 AM »
wow super cool, I want to go to china now! lol
Diabolo Acquired - Thurday, 2/08/07
Vertax Skill Acquired - Thursday, 4/12/07
2 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Tuesday, 5/29/07
3 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Eh, No?

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2007, 09:27:06 AM »
Good to see something different.
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

iroQuai

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2007, 12:24:31 PM »
Those sticks are indeed super long! but these old guys make vertax look so easy! I never played with a one sided diabolo or chinise yoyo myself.. is it easier to get in vertax with one of those?

btw, I loved the headgrind at the end! :D

Nahxela

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2007, 09:52:22 PM »
Those sticks are indeed super long! but these old guys make vertax look so easy! I never played with a one sided diabolo or chinise yoyo myself.. is it easier to get in vertax with one of those?

btw, I loved the headgrind at the end! :D
Not really :-\
It's harder to tilt chinese yoyos because they don't have such a wide amount of space that you can whip accelerate into Vertax.

Although one sided yoyos are easier to get into because you simply do an angled stick grind.
But keeping one in vertax is much harder :(
Give a man fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life

iroQuai

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2007, 10:35:30 PM »
than my respect for these old men grows more and more :)

Christopher

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2007, 10:22:39 AM »
that was really cool, anyone know how they're accelerating it? it looks like they're just doing suns but do suns actually speed up much at all?

The people are doing excalibur the other way around, and the strings are crossed all times when the diab is in front of you.

iroQuai

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2007, 01:10:02 PM »
I'm a bit confused.. I thought they were doing "orbit thrusts" but than in vertax.. I know, with my diabolo, this is a way to get into vertax, although after a while i switch to chinese snaps because I'm too scared i'll hit my head with that fast spinning diabolo!

When I look at this clip again, it seems to me that they are doing suns between their arms to accelerate. if you cross the string, maybe you do accelerate the chinese yoyo more easy, but than it'll spin exactly the opposite direction of what vertax-diabolists would expect.
I'll have to see the clip again to be sure what they are doing (and how they get out of that crossed way of accelerating to do a headspin or something like that) but I don't really have the time now.

diabolo store

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2007, 06:52:04 PM »
its almost like a sun but not exactly..the acceleration is called "pan si" in china

It's kinda like a "reverse vertax accerleration"
You first move ure right hand in a loop then ure left hand straigthens out forcing the yoyo to speed back to the right hand... you keep on doing that and it accelerates faster

heres my video of it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OeSWDlT6Dg

http://www.diabolo.ca/not-linked-to
Supplier of chinese yoyos and diabolos-single bell and double bell

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal