Author Topic: Damaged or malfunctioning gear?  (Read 10415 times)

Re: Damaged or malfunctioning gear?
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2007, 02:20:36 AM »
I was pretty stupid and decided to bring my flys with me to a friends and ended up playing on concrete and grinded on a tennis court, and now the axle sounds really, really bad.
Does anyone know a way to ressurect a fly axle? Don't say WD-40, i already tried and it sounds even worse now.

Aaron Z

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2007, 06:06:45 AM »
I guess you mean the ball-bearing fly, and that you dropped it on concrete?

Well, I'd personally say to disassemble- then re-assemble the entire diabolo because I found that dropping a ball-bearing Diabolo from a good height and with enough speed can misplace/loosen and just generally screw up the internal components of the diabolo.

If you have already tried it without good results, just tighten everything inside the cups while the diabolo IS assembled, the screw-parts in the cups (connecting to the axle) can come loose after a bit of spinning following high drops and such, if that is the problem then you can increase the tightness by wrapping some plastic-bag strips, of your own size preference around the sides of the axle, that go through the cups and connect to the nuts.  ;D

nev

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2007, 10:20:59 AM »
I was pretty stupid and decided to bring my flys with me to a friends and ended up playing on concrete and grinded on a tennis court, and now the axle sounds really, really bad.
Does anyone know a way to ressurect a fly axle? Don't say WD-40, i already tried and it sounds even worse now.

The concrete or grinding on a tennis net won't hurt the axle.  If its noisy its probably just run dry of grease.  It'll still play fine like this only noisier than usual.  You need to get some bearing grease (I find the red kind with teflon in it works best) or lithium grease.  Just put a small amount in the bearings and all will be restored.
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

TomMiller

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2007, 04:30:46 PM »
The concrete or grinding on a tennis net won't hurt the axle.  If its noisy its probably just run dry of grease.  It'll still play fine like this only noisier than usual.  You need to get some bearing grease (I find the red kind with teflon in it works best) or lithium grease.  Just put a small amount in the bearings and all will be restored.
Will that 3 in one oil or WD40 work?
Its hard peeing in the dark becuase you dont know if it went in the toilet

Diabolo Aqquired/some time near the end of july/
2 Diabolo skill aqquirered/2007/9/16 14:44/
3 Diabolo skill aqquired/      /

(yes i coppyed Eric Moffetts sig)

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2007, 09:38:49 PM »
Wear can i find bearing grease? And how should i apply it?

Aaron Z

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2007, 01:04:08 AM »
Many Yo-yo's have bearing systems and I'm sure you can find some grease meant for them on eBay that ought to work for your diabolo.
I did a few eBay searches for you and couldn't find what you're looking for; which I guess is just a simple bottle of grease.

Also, I've got no idea how to apply grease if you do manage to get it, but I'm sure sending an email to a company that manufactures bearing diabolos, or your fly in particular that they could both deal you some grease and application details.

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2007, 03:01:36 AM »
I used some oil that came with an old yo-yo with surprisingly good results.
But I like my bearings noisy.
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2007, 03:39:13 AM »
Well I applied some of the stuff meant for bearings, and it helped some...I probably didnt apply enough or let it sink in long enough.

Aaron Z

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2007, 05:00:27 AM »
I suppose if there is no negative impact on diabolo performance and only a slightly louder noise, there's no real reason to take huge measures onto fixing it, you can even use the noise as an indicator to how fast your diabolo is spinning; it usually gets louder as speed increases.

But again, if you want to get the fastest solution, contact the manufacturer.  ;D  ;)

tipiphil

• Donator
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2007, 07:15:48 AM »
Will that 3 in one oil or WD40 work?

These are penetrating oils - good for squeaks and rusted bolts, but won't stay in the bearing long once it starts spinning.
Will possibly end up getting thrown onto the string!!

Wear can i find bearing grease? And how should i apply it?

Best bet for bearing grease is a motor factors, or a local garage may be able to sort you out with it.

But I like my bearings noisy.

I suppose if there is no negative impact on diabolo performance and only a slightly louder noise, there's no real reason to take huge measures onto fixing it, you can even use the noise as an indicator to how fast your diabolo is spinning; it usually gets louder as speed increases.

Noisy bearings are usually dry bearings.
Bearings that run dry will create more friction, more wear on the bearings, and in the end a break down of the bearing.
A lubricated bearing will run faster and longer than a dry one.

Aaron Z

« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2007, 08:00:29 AM »
    ^
  /   \
  ----
    |   
    |
    |   That's what I was going to say   ;D 

nev

• Donator
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2007, 09:09:57 AM »
Bicycle shops will sell the right grease for bearings (as bikes have lots of bearings on them).  To apply it just take the Fly (or any other bearing diabolo) apart and put some grease either on the axle bolt or on the inside of the bearing part itself.  Put the diabolo back together and all should be good again.
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal