Author Topic: 2 Diabolos: first tricks and things to consider  (Read 50382 times)

kragen

2 Diabolos: first tricks and things to consider
« on: February 21, 2005, 11:27:59 AM »
Ok, ive got the 2 diabolo shuffle, corrections are storming along since last week when i spent a load of time working on corrections at uni... But I cant do anything else!!! :P

Where do I go from here? I wouldnt mind learning how to accelerate, but it always goes badly (im trying to loop one diabolo and speed that one up with the other still on the string, then unwrap it and cary on - but it always ends up jumping all over the place and i loose control).

I've also been playing around with hyperloops, but mianly cus I dont know what else to try! I've also heard grinds arent too hard as far as 2d tricks go...
Justin
Gravity Vomit - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.

el_grimley

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2005, 11:48:21 AM »
Suicides are fairly easy. They are pretty mcuh the first trick I learnt or single diabolo trapese and escape

Graham
Its got to be going home time. At least going to the pub time.

seán_

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2005, 02:17:08 PM »
Well done Kragen.

A lot of people work through the selection of tricks on  Barnesys 2diabolo.net. I've heard Dave say something along a the lines of that it takes a length of time to get a shuffle going, a length time to keep it going with corrections, and length of time to start getting tricks.

So you have got an idea of whats coming ahead. :)

On the acceleration front one thing to consider is that you can get good speed up purely through shuffling, either by changing the shape of the shuffle so that the diabolos roll longer on the string or by speeding up the shuffle

Quote from: DaveP
As for the speed thing, as Dave says thats just how it was done back in the day, if you want 'em spinnin' faster, spin 'em faster!

Check Dave Ps action in a clip in this thread

A few threads on the forum you might want to look at are
Stopovers/trapeze
[Trick] Standard 2 diabolo sun
Backwraps every pass Martijn has made a great video of backwrap variations
[/list:u]

Seán_

Dave P

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2005, 03:52:29 PM »
If you can stand the shouts of "old Schooooool!!"Try some stalls(thats sticking and arm/leg/head under the string to separate the diabolos for a moment before shuffling again)

Eduardo

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2005, 04:33:55 PM »
I got the hang of corrections like 2 weeks ago, and pulled that sun that cross the sticks, over the head pirout sun (I don't know how its called) and the sprinkler... I cannot do any stalls and only pulled a stick hook or stopover once each... I find it hard to throw one high enough to make a stall or go into orbits, when I try, either the other one falls of the string or one tilts a lot and makes it impossible to come back from the stall... any tips?

seán_

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2005, 04:58:04 PM »
Quote from: Eduardo
I got the hang of corrections like 2 weeks ago, and pulled that sun that cross the sticks, over the head pirout sun (I don't know how its called) and the sprinkler... I cannot do any stalls and only pulled a stick hook or stopover once each... I find it hard to throw one high enough to make a stall or go into orbits, when I try, either the other one falls of the string or one tilts a lot and makes it impossible to come back from the stall... any tips?

To pop a diabolo up for a stall move your left hand up and to the left. be aware of how  your hands are moving this can cause you to either throw a diabolo forwards or backwards or to move the catching hand out of line.

To enter the stall you do not need to throw a diabolo too high, in fact throwing it too high can cause trouble

When I do an armstall I like to get the string resting at the elbow joint
 and try and keep everything in line, this should stop the tilt. to exit pop the left diabolo up in the air and sun out of the armstall (again keeping it all in line). You might want to practice exiting the stall with one diabolo.

Seán

Dave P

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2005, 05:04:29 PM »
...and for the legs...... lift one diabolo slightly higher and more to the right, stick your leg up under the string, catch the diabolo on the right by bringing your hands wide and low, don't fall over at this point (or any other for that matter), lift the left hand and lower your leg to resume the shuffle.

kragen

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2005, 06:50:18 PM »
woo - some nice suggestions there - gonna give the leg stall a try methinks.

I've had more success with the hyperloop too, or rather unlooping it again, but rather than try and explain on here I will find someone who knows how to do it at GV on monday to explain it to me.

As for acceleration - i wanted something to speed the diabolo up just as another "trick" if you like... plus im impatient :P

Thanks for the suggestions :)
Justin
Gravity Vomit - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.

Dave P

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2005, 12:10:32 PM »
Quote from: kragen

As for acceleration - i wanted something to speed the diabolo up just as another "trick" if you like... plus im impatient :P

High throws are a great trick for speeding up diabolos.

Ed

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2005, 03:31:57 PM »
Quote from: Dave P
Quote from: kragen

High throws are a great trick for speeding up diabolos.

Could someone please Explain How to go from 2 low to 2 high?

I did a search but it didn't come back with what i wanted.

seán_

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2005, 05:04:52 PM »
people do it several ways,
Pop one up a bit, get the other to height and then get the first one up to height as well.
Come out of a right hand back wrap or stopover launching that one high follow with the other.
most common ones I have seen.
HTH
Seán

Any more info you want on two High, probably the Two High Thread a good place to start

Ed

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2005, 05:41:12 PM »
Thanks Seán i couldn't find a thread on that :? Oh well cheers.

Alex

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2005, 08:32:02 PM »
2d Chinese Whipping is a great way to get up a lot of speed quickly.  And once you get it, you'll feel much more in control.

You can see this thread for help, and a nice video by Sean.

Also, mini-columns is a nice trick that will increase your control (not very flashy, however).

Marc

• VotW Contributor
2 diabolo
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2005, 07:00:27 PM »
I have learnt how to do 2 diabolos and a few tricks like a sun, stalls and sprinkler but these are becoming too easy so I was wondering if anybody knew a website that teaches you 2 diabolo tricks or has anybody got any tips? Also what is your favourite tricks?

stix

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2005, 07:02:52 PM »
I found that circusplanet.net is a really good site

any one got any more sites?

seán_

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2005, 07:42:56 PM »
Hi Marc, sounds like there are a few tricks you have missed out that would probably be a bit easier than double sprinklers.

Have a look through the tricks sticky and see if any of the tricks or videos there might help.

Barnesy has some good tutorials on his site www.2diabolo.net

There are lots of websites in the website sticky, loads of videos but not many tutorials. www.thediabolo.com has some interesting stuff to check out.

If you havent got Diabology thats probably your best bet.
the Donald Grant books are also a good resource.

(favourite trick, very hard to pick one. I like all the tricks I do otherwise I wouldn't do them)

JoKo

Using two diabolos
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2005, 05:10:25 PM »
Mod edit - this thread was merged into the current thread.

This may already have been answered befor many time by veterans of this site so bear with me.  But i am now at the stage where, although i can use two with a basic pattern i want to be doing tricks soon any suggestions how and where?
Change combine ..... Go Go Baron Gong

GbH

Re: Using two diabolos
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2005, 05:42:26 PM »
Quote from: JoKo
This may already have been answered befor many time by veterans of this site so bear with me.  But i am now at the stage where, although i can use two with a basic pattern i want to be doing tricks soon any suggestions how and where?

If you're in Southampton, you could try getting along to  http://www.hants.gov.uk/southamptonjuggling/.  I should think that we'll be able to help you out.

Guy

Mithew

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2005, 06:36:59 PM »
www.2diabolo.net is a good website.  some basic tricks for 2d you could try are: inside suns (this is probably the best to start out with), stick grind, stop-overs, leg orbits, arm orbits (thats a bit harder, but i didn't find it too challenging), and trapeze, but there are a lot more tricks for 2d.  JiBes site has a lot of good stuff for 2d, and you might be able to learn some of it.  Also: GET DIABOLOGY!!! it has awesome parts that teach you a bunch of beginer stuff for two diabolo's
There are 11 types of people in the world.  Those who can count in binary and those who can't.

Stevey

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2005, 10:00:48 PM »
Does a difference in size and weight between the diabolos matter much? Im thinking of getting a new diabolo and wondering if it would work well with my current one.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal