Author Topic: Vortex tutorial : Base trick and advanced variations  (Read 47887 times)

Elmeri

• VotW Contributor
Vortex tutorial : Base trick and advanced variations
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2005, 07:05:58 AM »
Quote from: seán_
Quote from: Elmeri
bw knotsteal (late-back-warp-open),

That would be this then?

sounds like a great combo!

Yup! Thats the one. Combo is not difficult and feels nice.
I like playing with different knotstealings, but there is still at least one what I haven´t found out how to do but I believe that if I´d pay attention about it I could do it in notime (you can found it in JiBes site but I haven´t checked it out for a long time...)

BTW. Now I´ve got some step forward in my 3d shuffle, my only real problem (what I can see rigth now) is that I move my left hand to left...
It makes one diabolo go to low after 6-8 "tosses" (2 rounds)

martijn

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2005, 01:04:25 PM »
I made a short video of my Vortex (one after the other):

[edit: it's offline now]

It's a very cool trick to do! :)

JGherkin

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2005, 07:35:15 PM »
Nicely done Tijn, congrats on gettin the suicide so quickly after learnin the vortex, took me a while to get  :oops:

martijn

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2005, 08:04:20 PM »
I already could do the suicide backwrap. It's not very difficult then to do a frontwrap suicide. (it's harder after a Vortex instead of a Fan)

JGherkin

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2005, 02:00:36 PM »
See my long vortex finishes exactly the same as my fan exit so it feels the same to me.

Cheers for the mpeg conversion as well Tijn. You can all find it here

Dracodragon

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2005, 04:30:31 AM »
Wow, this tutorial was great. Vortexes were the moves that looked cool with two diabolos, and ive needed to get them down. I had no idea how to do a it, and been wanting to do one for a long time. Thanks for making this tutorial, and helping me out with the vortex.  :D (hehe, hall sensei tried to teach me this, but i wasnt as good back then)
Go Draco with your Diabolo!
http://frogfighters.com/godraco/

Mattias

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2005, 06:59:57 PM »
Okey, Im going back to this trick after several halfhearted attempts without much result.

I know the theory and how the diabolos should pass by eachother, and I have confirmed it with moving around static diabolos. And ofcourse seen this tutorial. I'va obviously read the whole thread too.

And I think i have same problem as Martijn had with the tangling, or atleast I had. Now when I try, the right diabolo(my dominant) just after passing above the left one it just slipps down and wraps around the other one.

But it really differs, a few times I have ended up in a left backwrap on one of the diabolos and an open string on the other. And sometimes the tangle of the diabolos untangles in some way and one diabolo flies away in a rocket start kind of way and the other one is in a left BW.

Any tips, mainly how to get the left diabolo to miss the string so it does not tangle(because this is the problem right?)

Hope someone can help, maybe, i'll have to post a video of the mess...

Im really frustrated because everyone seem to get this quite easily. And my friend have tried to teach me but to no avail.

Thanks in advance.
Need help? Try these before creating a new topic:
Search and
Trick and Video Archive

Mr_Mistoffelees

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2006, 09:32:19 PM »
apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but could you please rehost this for me mr. gherkin? :P... currently i have no idea what a vortex is, but after seeing the word used on this site so many times and never understanding what people mean, i feel now could be the time to learn :D

Mr Mistoffelees - The Conjuring Cat

looby

• Donator
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2006, 09:55:10 PM »
i dont have it on my laptop unfortunately but the easiest way would be for someone to upload it on http://www.yousendit.com and you can download it from there
Rennes July 10-17th 2011!

JGherkin

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2006, 09:25:39 PM »
Check my website, http://www.diabolofosho.co.uk, under the Diabolo: Educational section from the Videos link.  The link from the page is to the wmv version however if you find the address from that and change the wmv extension to mpeg then you'll find the mpeg version.

Glad to know this is still useful  :)

Mr_Mistoffelees

« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2006, 04:48:36 PM »
Now i just need to learn it!

bruce

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2006, 02:21:41 AM »
I have this variation on a vortex. It is like a mirror image of the vortex and I find it easier than the usual vortex. It is not a new move Trash does during a 2D sequence 3 mins into Our Secret on Diabology but I have not seen it documented. Do a right back wrap on D1 and let that D slide to the left and D2 comes over to the right string. This is exactly like the start of "taking inside" then with the right hand make D2 do a small sun clockwise around D1 on the inside (just like vortex but with the other hand and in the other direction). Finish with normal shuffle and no need to change direction as in the normal vortex. This movement can be done after taking inside. Does this movement have a name??

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2006, 03:32:44 AM »
that's an internal giving transfer, or something like that, i forgot the exact name, but they go over a few different transfers on disc 1 of Diabology ;)

bruce

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2006, 04:26:39 AM »
On diabology in that section there is "giving internal transfer" "giving external transfer" and vortex which they just call transfer. The movement that I referred to is none of these. It is like giving internal transfer but that movement ends with a back wrap around the right D - so that the movement can continue. The movement I attempted to describe ends with no wrap and it looks like a vortex and not like an internal/external transfer

JGherkin

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2006, 07:33:03 AM »
I dunno, still could be a giving internal transfer just making sure you unwrap as well in one smooth move, it doesn't have to end up with a wrap just because thats how its demonstrated in diabology.

On the other hand I could just not be understanding what you're trying to explain.

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2006, 09:29:57 AM »
From what I can gather, if you do a normal long vortex and when you push the unwrapped diabolo around (in a counterclockwise sun fashion) and instead of coming out unwrapped, it would end in a LHBW like often occurs when I try and do a left sun and I always end up with one wrapped.

What Bruce seems to be describing is the mirror of that as he says.  It's also a good way to get out of a missed dominant-side backwrap.  The continuous idea is interesting though...

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

nev

• Donator
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2006, 02:28:03 PM »
Isnt that just the normal way out of giving internal transfers? i.e. in continuous transfers the diab becomes wrapped and goes round again etc but if you pul it up & over the dominant stick (i.e. an inside sun) it comes out back to shuffle.  

Incidently you can do the reverse with the vortex - i.e instead of the full sun with the left (or non dominant), you dont let it sun all the way over the left stick so that it becomes wrapped.  From here you can just unwrap it on the non dominant side or you can go into transfers.

Technically you can mirror the vortex 4 ways i.e.  (vortex just seems to be the name given to this particular transfer variation)

1. Normal vortex - frontwrap dominant diab - sun other inside.
2. backwrap dominant diab - sun other outside (need to reach the non dominant hand out in front so diab suns round stick inside your arm - like a between the arms anti-sun)
3. frontwrap on non dominant side (or backwrap on dominant side and let slide under - this is the one bruce is talking about) - then inside sun the dominant side out.
4. backwrap on non dominant side (or frontwrap on dominant and let slide under)  -then ouside sun the dominant side - like between arms sun.

With all variations including the standard vortex, you can come out into wrap instead and continue with transfers or into other moves requiring the correct wrap.

Hope this helps.
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

Scooby

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2006, 03:55:33 AM »
frank0072 said:
The vortex is a trick I still can't do

Let me see if i can help at all

the main thing is to break it down into 4 stages

frontwrapping the diabolo which is transfering string (the top one) [diabolo A]
then pushing it to the front of the left stick very softly

then DiaboloA will then push DiaboloB and will orbit around DiaboloA resulting in DaiboloB being in a back wrap and DiaboloA being open

You imediatly unwrap DiaboloB and Back Wrapp DiaboloA  
 (then your in a back wrap Speed up)  

and then simply unwrap into a regual shuffle

Hope it could help :)
------------------------------------------------
ALL YOUR DIABOLO ARE BELONG TO US!!!
------------------------------------------------

frank0072

« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2006, 09:09:41 PM »
Look at what Scooby says. I just read this again because this topic was kicked on top, and I finally read thoroughly what was written and guess what? I can vortex! It has only taken me five minutes and about ten attempts when I finally knew how to do it. Now it is just a matter of getting it 100% stable and solid, but that is just a matter of time. What I don't know is if it is a long or a short vortex.
some people think they are better because they can do something better

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

fredo

« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2006, 09:28:57 PM »
It's long if the diabolo even passes under the second...a short on was more difficult for me and wraps the same diabolo again that you wrapped before

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal