Author Topic: Overarms!  (Read 2247 times)

Aaron Z

Overarms!
« on: December 10, 2007, 12:24:24 PM »
Hi there!, I've been looking into 1D overarms lately as my new trick category to practice while I wait for my second finesse to arrive.
Of course, I came right to diabolo.ca first-up to do some learning on the subject of overarms, an realized that there were no general overarm threads! Or at least, complete and recent ones.

Anyways, back on the topic: I've been playing with overarms and so far have gotten the gist of basic overarm orbits along with a single trick of that type: http://diabolotricks.com/O-extras.htm  That is, the "Overarm-Swoop", and "Swoop-Sun".

But now the tricks I want to learn involve "String-Wraps" (Mid-page in the link above ^ ). This is the part I need help with; I've attempted both "Armover String-Wraps" and "Left-Catch String-Wrap Intros" and neither seems to be working for me!

As I reach to the right to try to enter the wrap, my string either goes slack and the diabolo flies away to my right, or should I cheat and enter the wrap by contorting my right stick, my diabolo (Finesse G3) doesn't revolve across the loop on my arm as it should but rather grinds to a friction-burny stop on my arm.

Also, it feels very awkward for me to maneuver my left stick around mt right arm for some reason, probably because I'm straining to pull the string taut against the diabolo.

I suppose the problem is in string length... opinions?

Aaron Z

Re: Overarms!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 05:01:43 AM »
Any tips, anything?!  ???

Nick

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 09:53:59 AM »
As I reach to the right to try to enter the wrap, my string either goes slack and the diabolo flies away to my right, or should I cheat and enter the wrap by contorting my right stick, my diabolo (Finesse G3) doesn't revolve across the loop on my arm as it should but rather grinds to a friction-burny stop on my arm.

If the diabolo is flying away to your right it sounds like you're letting the diabolo get ahead of the stick. Diabolo Tricks says "Just after the diabolo rises and begins to move right, point the left stick back and chase after the diabolo as it moves right. Your left stick end should overtake the diabolo, encircling the diabolo and your arm." The overtaking part is important as it keeps the diabolo on the string. Make sure you are doing this bit correctly. If your string goes slack when you are trying this it could be that your string is too long or you are not making a large enough circle around your right arm with your left stick. You could try to overcome this by pointing your right stick up slightly, pulling the string a bit tighter and removing some of the slack, or maybe try to swing the diabolo with a bit more force.

With regards to your second problem, I'm sure everyone who plays diabolo is familiar with the "friction-burny stop" on the arm. Back to Diabolo Tricks: "After catching an Arm Hop on the right string, allow the diabolo to follow the string toward the string wrapped arm. If the string is not too tight, the diabolo has enough room to go under your arm." It sounds to me like you are pulling the string too tight when the diabolo is looping around the arm. When doing the "Speed Loop" you need to give the string enough slack to allow the loop to open up enough to let the diabolo circle around the arm. After throwing the diabolo over your arm, you probably catch it on the right whilst pulling the string tight. As the diabolo hits the string loosen the tension in the string and allow the diabolo to circle your arm before pulling the string tight again to throw it back over your arm and repeat.

Hope this is useful.
Nick.
City landmark might be feet lower if rebuilt (6,5)

Aaron Z

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 12:53:37 AM »
Thanks alot for the detailed reply.

I just recently shortened my string to try bring some more tightness to my string when I try to encircle the diabolo, but I just can't seem to bring my left stick far enough around my right arm comfortably, or quickly enough to keep the string tight as I try to follow the diabolo around.

It just feels very awkward to me, what do you think the learning curve is to nail this maneuver?

Nick

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 10:02:34 AM »
I learned the Left Catch String Wrap Intro first. I found that it seemed easier to swing the diabolo out of the left arm stall than directly from the arm orbits. It might be a good idea to practice a left-sided Half Sun first to get comfortable with doing suns from arm stalls. You should probably play around with both entries and see which you think is easier.
If you are still having difficulty with these two try another entry into arm wraps. The easiest is probably the Elbow Knot String Wrap Intro, but it does lack flow. My favourite is to get into the overarm position, put a left front wrap on the diabolo and then lift the diabolo over your right arm like a Vortex. This tranfers the wrap from the diabolo to your arm, ending up in the arm wrap position.

Nick.
City landmark might be feet lower if rebuilt (6,5)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal