Author Topic: EJC 2008 - Karlsruhe, Germany  (Read 48593 times)

Duncan

• Administrator
Re: EJC 2008 - Karlsruhe, Germany
« Reply #100 on: August 08, 2008, 10:28:19 AM »
(no Duncan around, I'm missing you, sweetheart).

Miss you too, honey.

Glad William's show went well last night - only 2 more to go!

Jakob

« Reply #101 on: August 08, 2008, 05:45:37 PM »
Hi everybody, I succeeded in uploading a couple of pictures while watching Dekel do some crazy 3d stuff.
Karlsruhe is realy nice, not so much to say at this moment except that you'll find the pictures here:
http://diabolo.ca/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=1779

Take care
//Jakob

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #102 on: August 08, 2008, 08:41:15 PM »
Thanks Jakob, great to see photos of the Henrys factory!

Thanks for the update fredo. Keep 'em coming. :)
Sounds like it was an epic Gala show for diaboloists.

fredo

« Reply #103 on: August 09, 2008, 12:07:15 AM »
Not so much news to tell you today. People still juggle and play diabolo.

Priam did two workshops on variations of infinite suicides and high siteswaps. One of the few opportunities to see almost all of us diaboloists together and to actually recognize how few we are ;). The workshop itself was quite good, but there wasn't really much new information for advanced diaboloists, so I kept only one eye at the workshop and tried to follow a diabolo circulating around my body with theother one. I get closer to actually get through my new body combo without stopping nor dropping. Ideas keep coming while you exchange tricks, ideas and diabolos with a lot of nice people and there's always something you haven't seen before going on somewhere in the gym.

Dekel has got the cascade down pretty solid and can do something that appears to be 531 - it's crrrazy! Martijn, Ben., some other guys whose forum names I don't know and I had a lot of fun today and did some trick jamming and tried out some new things. Ben. and I even got to film a trick for the collaboration video.

I spent a lot of time juggling, too, so I can't give detailed information on what other great diabolists have been doing today.

There was another free swimming party at the Europabad tonight, basically a lot of water, fun and Ben. walking around with his shorts hanging down at the back of his knees. Definitely one highlight today.

Fredo

Matt?

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #104 on: August 09, 2008, 04:08:56 AM »
It is exactly five oclock in the morning and i feel i should post something about what has been going on here.

You can walk into the hall and any time and find diaboloers and familiar faces, even here now. During the days we seem to congregate at one end of the hall and essentially jam. There has been some mind blowing creativity going on here, especially from the German represents (Fredo, Pranay etc.) and it has been cool to see the likes of Mau and Busk showing off some skills as well.

As far as learning goes, i seem to be in a mode of creativity that i have never really experienced before, trying things i never considered as options within diabolo... probably that convention vibe. Its been great catching up with some of the British lot that i havnt seen for a while, aswell as meeting new people from all around the world and sharing skills and ideas.

Anyway, people are getting impatient, i shall try to update you soon.
i go for walk now? it easy to find papers! look, i got this bag of filters!

Marijn

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #105 on: August 09, 2008, 06:13:28 AM »
cheeseburgers!

Nice cheeseburgers though,  :-* @ updaters.

EDIT: b a s t a r d s!

*leaves @ 7:20 for work >___>*
''I have been practising some basic 2d suicide stuff to widen my arse''

Alex!

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #106 on: August 10, 2008, 10:24:15 PM »
That was probably the best 8 days ever.

The site was incredible. The Europahalle while being massive was a fraction of the whole space. There were 2 big tops, a party/bar tent, traders village, lake, medieval village, youth circus, uv tent, fire beach, and a extremely annoying hill.

The big tops were great. I never went into the big top at the hill but I caught 1 and a half open stages at the big top at the lake where I saw some incredible body combo knot things that I didn't even understand from a diabolist I cannot remember the name of, 3 club juggling while using the clubs to drum on a massive red box, pinball paranoia, and a great show from Vux, aswell as loads of other amazing stuff I can't remember at the moment.

Was great to meet people again and to see so many new faces.

The Gala show was outstanding. There was a truely spectacular performance from Trespace, trampolineing club passing cavemen, the best non juggling act possible at a juggling convention, incredible acrobalance, Wes, and loads of other mind blowing act I have can't think of right now, but nearly every act got a standing ovation.

I reckon the food is worth a mention! Plate of meat and ribs and sausage at the medieval village was always fun. Crepes at 4 in the morining and everyone loved the keb(r)aps!

Most nights (mornings) seemed to be spent lying on the floor doing contact or cats cradle in the uv tent after a long session in the gym.

The Games were good fun on the saturday with Matt winning the 2d gladiators and the guy who was forced by Luke Burrage to get naked infront of everyone during club balance endurance. Sadly I did not win the hoping gladiators :(

The big toss up was brilliant and I managed to get a really great picture of it which il put in the gallery, but you better apreciate it becasue I thought I'd die taking it as I decided, with many others, to climb onto a 2 level glass roofed building which with the weigth of eveyone was creaking. Even a few of the organsiers came out looking worried telling people to get off quickly. People didn't and everyone lived though it was still not one of my best ideas.

The rest of that night was spent patying it up in the bar/party tent to an amazing reggae band and good DJ set with Nick, Matt, Busk Mau, Ben, Robbie, and other people I can't think of currently. It was so good Moon even got naked.

It was the biggest convnetion in the world so far with roughly 5300 jugglers there.

I will be uploading loads of pictures up onto Facebook soon.

EDIT: I forgot to mention Fini's trousers falling down during vertax gladiators :D
STOP! HAMMER 'TIJN

Ben.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #107 on: August 11, 2008, 02:13:57 PM »
i have got to have my say in this!
That was probably the best 8 days ever.

GOOD POINTS...
Alex and I going to the hall at 5am and taking part in what has to have been the coolest game ever. one 8ft bouncing ball. about 7 people on each team. and a massive empty hall. it was like rugby on crack, as matt hall would say. alex got completely owned by the ball but we did score one point in the end!
learning 3 Low AGAIN, after i forgot how to do it.
having 8+ kebraps which were the nicest thing ever.
meeting anyone who's anyone from the forum including Marko, Aaro, Pranay, m4u, Busk, Martijn, Malte, Flo and Fredo who is SO CRAZZZY!
having our own 2d gladiators where blood WAS shed, and alex kneed me in the balls.
hitting the UV tent at 3am every night and sean's multi ball contact keeping us amused for hours.
THE SWIMMING. Who else went when it was free? because if you did then you will know what i mean. it was anarchy, with 2000 jugglers messing about in an amazing pool and going down the water slide to find a massive pile up half way down and then getting to the bottom and walking back up again with legs up on the side so when people went under they almost hit your balls. not to mention the mexican waves in the queue for the slide.
Nick teaching me lots of yoyo stuff.
The metal slide and climbing frame on the site which me and alex climbed and completely freaked out due to how high it was.
JOHANNES!

BAD POINTS
missing the gala show because they ran out of tickets.
not seeing fini's trousers fall down.
missing almost every workshop i had planned to do because i was just in the hall having too much fun.

The amazing thing about the EJC was that it managed to have convention, in the hall juggling aspects and also have the outside in the field , festivaly type aspects and it had them in perfect balance which was why it was undoubtedly the best convention EVER!

Ben.
PS fredo ily

Matt?

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #108 on: August 11, 2008, 03:01:24 PM »
JESUS CHRIST. that had to be the greatest how ever many days of my life... i kinda lost track of time after not sleeping for the last few days.

JOHANNES!

i think that the meat plate needs a special mention, which concisted of ham... stuffed ham... ribs froma pig... pork sausafe and pork burger... yummy! this mixed with kebrrraaps made eating a great park of the convention.

so yeah, good points.

meeting all the diaboloists that i would be unlikely to meet in any other circumstance ben has listed most of them i think.

the gala show... trespace especially.

YMCA

UV tent at 4 in the morning with sean learning multiball contact, smoking and drinking

Creps!

chi, jugglers brew, export, lemon stuff, kaluha, geltwasser, tea, powerade, apple stuff, and a hole host of other liquid based consumants.

all of the quotes and in jokes that have come out of it, i cried with laughter several times.

vux's performance.

the last nights rave/gig int he party tent... awesome stuff.

journey.

speding time with ben, alex, nick, robbie, andy, andy, pete and others.

fini's trouser incident

seeing moon naked, waving his pants in the air

winning 2d gladiators.

Bad points.

smashing my foot in tripping up the stairs then having Duncan stamp on it in 2d gladiators

some major string burn

not going swimming when it was free

missing all the workshops and the one that i did go to (cigarette tricks) not being on :(

other than that... was one amazing week, anyone who didnt go, you really missed out. thanks to everyone who went and made it an amazing convention.

i go for walk now? it easy to find papers! look, i got this bag of filters!

Nick

• Donator
« Reply #109 on: August 11, 2008, 03:46:18 PM »
So very tired today. Sat at work and everything is slightly blurry around the edges.
Such a good week. Most of the great stuff has already been covered, but I'll throw in some other highlights. In no particular order:

- Our little UK contingent. A great crew of people, but I did feel that the UK diabolo community was a little under-represented for such a large convention.
- Matt Hall! Such a great compere at juggling shows and the man knows how to run a quality workshop.
- Airport security at Karlsruhe-Baden. Pulled out of line by a stern faced security guard. "Is this your bag? Open it." At this point I'm getting pretty nervous and dreading the rubber glove treatment. The guard reaches in and pulls out the juggling stuff. "You must show us some tricks now." It seems they were pulling this move on every juggler going through the check point and had been enjoying a free show all afternoon.
- Guest appearance by Baghead in the main show!
- Being serenaded with a Southern Comfort-fueled rendition of "Hotel California", complete with extended outro.
- Getting to see Tre'space's spintop inspired act. Such an amazing, inventive performance. My favourite part of a show full of superb acts.
- Ceri-Anne's sliding stick tricks. Awesome stuff and a great Funtycopter variation. Sadly, I didn't see the Dutch diaboloists as much as I wanted to.
- Free swimming. From acrobat kids trying silly flips to the huge mess of people throwing themselves down the water slide, this was a crazy night. Swimming pool at the BJC, please.
- Finding out that I actually enjoy integrals. Now I just need a bigger practice space.

My third EJC and certainly the best one yet. Props to the organisers for putting on a fantastic convention. High-Fives to everyone who helped make it so enjoyable.

Nick.
City landmark might be feet lower if rebuilt (6,5)

looby

• Donator
« Reply #110 on: August 11, 2008, 05:35:38 PM »
- Guest appearance by Baghead in the main show!

Nonsense, I know for a fact Baghead wasn't in Germany.  Must have been an imposter
Rennes July 10-17th 2011!

Alex!

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #111 on: August 11, 2008, 07:56:16 PM »
Did anyone catch the name of the band playing in the party tent on the last night? They were awesome!
STOP! HAMMER 'TIJN

Ben.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #112 on: August 11, 2008, 08:12:37 PM »
Dr. Woggle and The Radio i do believe

Ceri-Anne

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #113 on: August 11, 2008, 08:16:16 PM »
I already went home on Saturday, so I missed the last day but still had a great week! On a dutch forum they started a HLGCBS of the EJC, so I'm gonna post mine here aswell:

High
The great wheather, the diabolo.ca meet-up: great to meet people I hadn't seen for a while and of course to meet new people (though I would've wanted to mingle more, like Duncan intended, but that just didn't happen), the gala show.

Low
The convention was so big, I sometimes lost people for a couple of days. And I got the feeling I missed things.

Goal
Getting some diabolo inspiration and having fun with friends: check.

Crush
Tr'espace!! (long lost love, but the flame's burning again)

Bane
It was way too crowded and warm in the hall, so I didn't practice as much as I wanted to.

Surprise
Chloƫ, a french girl I'd never seen before, who showed me some really nice tricks.

Nick

• Donator
« Reply #114 on: August 11, 2008, 09:41:09 PM »
Nonsense, I know for a fact Baghead wasn't in Germany.  Must have been an imposter
Ah, that explains it. I was initially suspicious when I didn't see the question mark, but I figured maybe it was his stage costume.

Dr. Woggle and The Radio. Pretty much the perfect music for the last night of a juggling convention.

Nick.
City landmark might be feet lower if rebuilt (6,5)

Tiamat

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #115 on: August 12, 2008, 08:22:49 AM »
It was my first EJC and I can already say that I am addicted. I could finally meet some forum members. I want to thank them (I won't say all the names because the list is too long  ;) ) for the welcome and also for showing me lots of tricks (especially the sprinkler tricks). I hope to see all of you soon.

ChloƩ

Andy

« Reply #116 on: August 12, 2008, 10:14:37 AM »
ahhh  it was my first EJC and it was awesome. everything. met loads of people, got loads of inspiration and had a great time basically. anyone got the group photo to upload? it should be put somewhere with real and forum names tagged somehow.

edit: here's a couple of links posted on HoP
photos:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/800739@N25/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/catherinejbailey/sets/72157606666145449/
some from jakob...
http://picasaweb.google.dk/jakobjespersen/EJC08

and some of you might recognise this:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=crKWk-Q2SNU

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #117 on: August 12, 2008, 11:12:24 AM »
I will be in Spain next year!

The Void

« Reply #118 on: August 12, 2008, 02:36:16 PM »
Void's EJC gallery is up.

Blimey! Give a guy a chance to post his own pics, why doncha? ;)

http://www.tlmb.net/galleries/EJC2008

The Void
Yes, my diabolos did stay in my tent for the entire week.
Read the thread? Get the gear! VERTAX IS RUBBISH and other tees & hoodies: https://tlmb.net/tees

Duncan

• Administrator
« Reply #119 on: August 12, 2008, 02:50:03 PM »
Blimey! Give a guy a chance to post his own pics, why doncha? ;)

Now you got to post first - should be faster next time :) Kendamaists...

I thought this picture was great (still going through them). I also see Fini (top right) kept his pants on after the 2d combat fiasco :)

http://www.tlmb.net/galleries/EJC2008/pages/page_114.html?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal