Author Topic: VotW: February 28-March 6, Norbi  (Read 6983 times)

Sean

• Administrator
VotW: February 28-March 6, Norbi
« on: February 28, 2005, 12:57:42 AM »
This week's video is from Norbi. I believe Dave Barnes was the creator of this trick... am I right?

Any ideas for a more interesting name for the trick?

http://diabolo.ca/votw/norbi_2d_armstall_suicides.mpg
Streaming version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABAovpa5Rfk

Tom_G

Video of the week: February 28-March 6, Norbi
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 08:00:14 AM »
Nice trick! I can't even begin to work out how many wraps and stuff are on each diabolo there. As for a name.... I'm clueless. Well it is 8:00 in the morning  :)
It takes 24 muscles to smile, 42 to frown, and only 4 to hit someone in the face. Luckily for you, I need the exercise.

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 09:45:44 AM »
I came up with something very similar about six months ago at the Manchester juggling convention.    The one I was doing stopped a little earlier - the diabolo that swings round twice in Norbi's version only went round once in mine.  The extra swing is a very natural extension to the trick, but I only got my version to work a few times and haven't really worked on it since, so didn't take it that far.

There aren't that many wraps to understand, Tom_G.   The way I do it, it starts with a backwrap, which is caught with the string over the fingers of the right hand.   From there, it's 'just' suicides - the trapped diabolo gets swung anticlockwise, eventually to be caught in a backwrap by the right hand.  And if you ignore that one for a moment, the other diabolo just does an anticlockwise suicide.  All those transfers at the end haven't got much to do with anything - I think Norbi just likes to do them!

And as for names - I have no idea!   I guess the name would have to build from the name of the simpler form of the trick, but I have no idea what that one is called either!  Thanks to Norbi for getting it solid enough to record by the way - I'd been wondering what it looked like!

seán_

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 03:01:31 PM »
Very nice trick. it doesn't look like it should work but it does

Barnesy you do 2 revs on 'anotherhandtrapsuicide' on your site which is a similar trick but without the suicide of the second diabolo. That might be worth looking at for anybody wanting to have a try at simmilar tricks.

I notice that both of you are using wooden sticks for these tricks rather than the ones you use now (carbon for Norbi and ally for Barnesy with the string exiting the end). Does this have an effect on how the diabolo gets trapped?

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005, 03:26:49 PM »
Yes, that one on my site is one of the simpler forms of the trick.  The best I've had is three swings before the diabolo stops.

I've managed to get that trick to work with Henrys Aluminium sticks a little, but I find it a lot harder to control.  I'm not sure if it's jsut the weight difference or if the stick catches against the axle differently - I've not tried it enough lately to know.  I'll have a play and report back.

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2005, 04:49:04 PM »
Just realised that the last 2 amazing tricks i have posted aren't mine, it seems i am better at perfecting other peoples tricks than making up my own. Oh well.

Yes i do just like the transfers, they have no real purpose in the trick.

I do 2 revolutions to give me more time to make sure my hand is ok on the other one, i think it looks harder and it easier, bonus.

I have only managed this once with my new fiberglass and i can do it almost everytime with my wooden sticks, i think becuase the tips of the new ones are so thin, they change the orientation a lot easier when jammed against the axle (bad thing in this case).

cheers

Tom_G

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2005, 05:15:33 PM »
OK I understand now.  Just showing off  :P

The transfers do make the trick look more difficult, which is always good.
It takes 24 muscles to smile, 42 to frown, and only 4 to hit someone in the face. Luckily for you, I need the exercise.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal