Diabolo.ca Forums > I'm New

Diabolo Terminology and Abbreviations.

(1/9) > >>

Squiggle:
Here is a thing that me and William have worked on, Not 100% done.  PM one of us if you want something added/edited.

Abbreviations

Tricks:

Fts = Feed the sun
Fts 1-2 = 1D sun feeding 2D sun
Fts 2-3 = 2D sun feeding 3D sun etc.

Synch = Synchronous movement of the hands. (Same time)
Asynch = Asynchronous movement of the hands. (Different times)

RHBW = Right Hand Back Wrap
RHFW = Right Hand Front Wrap
LHBW = Left Hand Back Wrap
LHFW = Left Hand Front Wrap

MiniG = Mini Genocide
Geno = Genocide
Wrapped minig = Wrapped Mini Genocide

Btb = Behind The Back

Gear:

1D = 1 Diabolo
2D = 2 Diabolo etc

G1 = Finesse Generation 1
G2 = Finesse Generation 2
G3 = Finesse Generation 3

Forum:

Votw = Video of the week
D.ca = Diabolo.ca

Trick list

One Diabolo:

Backside: Refers to the diabolo being on the backside of the string, a double unwrap will result in the diabolo being on the darkside of the string.

Grabs: Is to stop the diabolo spinning, and have it isolated by a bodypart or stick.

Grinds: To have the diabolo spinning on something other than the string, most commonly sticks or fingers.

Orbits: To have the diabolo throw around body parts and caught again: i.e. orbiting the body.

Magic Knots: Wraps and Unwraps around points other then the diabolo: i.e. Sticks, Fingers.

Slackwhips: Throwing loops of slack string around the diabolo, sticks or strings. Commonly used to make string figures.

Stick releases: To throw one or more sticks and catch them again, usually around the Diabolo(s). Also known as suicides.

Suns: To move the Diabolo in a (usually) circlular motion around or between the sticks.

Vertax: Having the diabolo on the horizontal plane. The name is derived from the diabolos axle being verticle eg. VERTicleAXle. Also known as Excalibur.

Whips: To catch the diabolo in a whipping motion, often in one hand. A full string slack whip.

Wraps: To wrap the string around the diabolos axle. Four main ways:
Right handed backwrap is where the string is wrapped around the near cup with the right hand;
Left handed backwrap is where the string is wrapped around the near cup with the left hand;
Right hand front wrap is where the string is wrapped around the far cup with the right hand - has the same effect as a Left handed backwrap;
Left hand front wrap is where the string is wrapped around the far cup with the left hand - has the same effect as a Right handed backwrap

Two Diabolo:

Anti shuffle: Same as your shuffle, but in different direction.   (Right handed = Anti clockwise    Left handed = Clockwise)

Anti-Suicide: A wrap is placed on the diabolo and throw the stick the opposite way you would a normal suicide (upwards and towards your non-dominant hand).

Fan: A fan can be seen as a continuous (no beat) antisun. There are many variations such as C-fan and S-fan. Other tricks such as 360's, swings and sprinklers can be performed in a fan.

Mini Columns: Each diabolo pops straight up and down a small height from the string.  Side by side. No diabolos swap sides.

Shuffle: Basic 2 diabolo motion, each moving in a circular motion around each other. If you're right handed the diabolos should be moving clockwise and counterclockwise for left handed.

Sprinkler: Wrap both diabolos in one wrap. It's a 2 diabolo shuffle inside a large wrap.  Can be done with any wrap. Also more than one wrap can be used. Known as Double, Triple, Quadruple (etc) Sprinklers. Also known as a hyperloop.

Stalls: Each diabolo is separated by string, sticks, legs, arms or other body parts that stops the diabolos from shuffling. A stall can also be created by a knot or a twist in the string.

Vortex: A Vortex is using the motion of diabolo to place a wrap and/or unwrap another diabolo. Many variations that are also known as transfers

Beni:
Nice one... I wonder what seán will think of it ;D.

Maybe you should add that LHBW = RHFW, RHBW = LHFW. Also slack suicides.

Beni
(And lacerations, and string rejection.... naah)

Duncan:
I think this is a good idea. I do feel there's still a lot of jargon that needs to be teased out (which I've spent a few minutes unsuccessfully trying to do) so that it's completely understandable to a beginner, but it's a good start.

William:

--- Quote from: Beni on January 19, 2008, 10:07:35 AM ---Maybe you should add that LHBW = RHFW, RHBW = LHFW.
--- End quote ---
I did?

--- Quote from: Jake. on January 19, 2008, 04:52:58 AM ---Wraps: To wrap the string around the diabolos axle. four main ways:
Right handed backwrap is where the string is wrapped around the near cup with the right hand;
Left handed backwrap is where the string is wrapped around the near cup with the left hand;
Right hand front wrap is where the string is wrapped around the far cup with the right hand - has the same effect as a Left handed backwrap
Left hand front wrap is where the string is wrapped around the far cup with the left hand - has the same effect as a Right handed backwrap

--- End quote ---

TomerB:
Very good !

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version