Author Topic: Chinese New Year Performance  (Read 8187 times)

J_J777

• VotW Contributor
Chinese New Year Performance
« on: February 11, 2008, 05:12:05 AM »
This is my performance of Diabolo for my chinese school. I did it to Jay Chou's "Che". I did forget a bit to the beginning of my routine due to my nerves and I dropped on a knot that was stupid and I messed up on a transfer to fan but overall I feel it was a decent performance.

The very beginning w/ my two friends (richard and jason) are choreographed with the music.  Basically in the music they make a joke about the sound that chinese yoyo makes but it's kinda hard to explain.  Anyways, here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9a1eX4fg8s

Josh

William

• VotW Contributor
Re: Chinese New Year Performance
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 05:27:28 AM »
Nice one Josh. I enjoyed it. The audience really did to by the sound of it.
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

Duncan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 09:47:17 AM »
I enjoyed that too, Josh. Well done.

-Duncan

Nevercrashed

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 10:04:02 AM »
yep enjoyed that ;D

Conor

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 09:05:48 PM »
nice

fzzyrn

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 12:14:56 AM »
very nice. very very nice. it was quite energetic, actually. On question though. Where were the whip duicides? You could have ended off the 1d with btb whip catch and then ended the entire deal off with a whip duicide. It's like the ultimate crowd shocker.

That said, it's probably just personal preference. I'm a whip duicide kind of guy.

Marijn

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 06:50:50 AM »
Nicely done Josh!
''I have been practising some basic 2d suicide stuff to widen my arse''

allsoppy5

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 04:43:28 PM »
pretty sweet. I can do fans over my head now but i cant lie down and do them! Got any tips?

Diabolo Bro

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 08:10:33 PM »
Great performance. You're far to modest, I thought it was great. Surprised there was little aplause for 42, and sun. Only Tip: ;) crowd pleasers in the beginning, I find gets you warmed up, eliminating early shaky drops and gets the audience into the act. (elevator) :D.
98 percent of the population will die at some point in their lives.

Duncan

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 08:40:39 PM »
Surprised there was little aplause for 42, and sun.

I don't think the audience would understand what was going on with suns and 42s - they're difficult in our eyes, sure. To an regular, non-juggling audience, however, it's just fast-chaos. My explanation at least.

spinnin pig

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 09:00:26 PM »
woah really nice vid
i especially enjoyed the 1d stuff
what was that trick you did at 0:38 where it just bounces in and out the string
i can see how it should work but when i try it it just rolls down the string and messes up
i need it for linking up some tricks in a new combo im doing  ;D
tricks im happy with
2d stuff
grinds
sticktrap
sticktrap double release
sprinkler/sprinkler suicide

Nahxela

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2008, 12:51:02 AM »
Nice performance, the music went along really well with your performance style :)!
I thought that was a nice ending to such an elaborate performance, starting from one up to three, then ending with a novel 1D trick.

I get the joke at the beginning, go Mandarin speakers :P;)
By the way, what's the song you were using? For some reason it sounds like a Jay Chou song, but I'm probably wrong about that.
Give a man fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life

fzzyrn

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2008, 12:52:13 AM »
I did it to Jay Chou's "Che"

J_J777

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2008, 12:59:20 AM »
Thanks everyone for your comments.  I just wish it was cleaner performance.  I know that the crowd doesn't like 42 and a sun as much as say an elevator.  I did it mainly for myself to make me happy.  Next time I'll go for 42* or fts 23 cause I'm pretty sure it's solid enough.  

Spinning pig: at 0:38 I'm basically doing chinese whip acceleration at an angle.  you need to keep it taut enough to keep the momentum upwards.

allsoppy5:  The thing about laying down in fan is that it's hard to keep the fan rotating.  It's far easier to lay down only part way like i did in the video but I guess first practice bringing the fan over your head while standing up.

Josh

Nahxela

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2008, 01:10:48 AM »

Oh, hehe ::), thanks for bringing that to my attention
Give a man fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life

Tomko401

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2008, 01:18:51 AM »
enjoyed that performance
TOMKO

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2008, 03:24:21 AM »
wow, very very nice performance josh. I think you should remember me from facebook. this group of mine, a 6 man group, we had a group performance for chinese new year. I mean, not a lot a tricks, but good choreography and synchronization is what made it look good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4MvpHVhmdg

tell me what you guys think. o yea also, we're just a bunch of guys in high school that do diabolo as a hobby sorta. We're more of a chinese yoyo type because we were like brought up w/ chinese yoyos. in this performance, we're using sundia sports spinabolos.

Tomko401

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2008, 04:07:50 AM »
Very, very very cool
TOMKO

J_J777

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2008, 04:29:59 AM »
haha hijacking my thread?  Just joking.  Nice performance.  I wish my chinese yoyo group used spinabolos or finesse or something besides the crappy string and yoyo's that we do but it's fun so yea. 

Josh

Kusti

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2008, 03:20:33 PM »
Both performances were good in my opinion. Josh, especially your performance was truly a pleasant surprise, since I didn't know that you were on that level. And I liked the diaboloing in the dark in the second performance.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal