Author Topic: Wrapped orbits keep tangling up - can't get more speed.  (Read 4933 times)

mickske

Wrapped orbits keep tangling up - can't get more speed.
« on: February 17, 2008, 09:21:40 PM »
Hello everyone,

I've been playing around with my diabolo for ~2 weeks. I can do basic power pulls, open orbits, trapeze's, trapeze cradle and cat's cradle, and some more basic stuff. My main 'trick' for getting speed is basicly an open orbit where I push my diabolo from the right to the left (giving it extra speed) and then pull it back to the right (trying to lose as little speed as possible) but this is not enoygh spin for 2 tricks in a row. When I do a cradle trick the diabolo is basicly running out of speed near the end.

I've been experimenting with wrapped orbits/chinese snaps but the diabolo keeps tangling up time after time after time. Is this normal in the learning curve that I am going through at the moment or could it be certain factors or hints/tricks that I'm not aware about? I'm getting really frustrated as I just got the stick to hit my nose when the diabolo was tangling up so fast that I couldn't hold it anymore, haha. :-p

Any hints/tips on wrapped speed accelerations or any other accelerations tricks are welcome!

seán_

Re: Wrapped orbits keep tangling up - can't get more speed.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 10:14:59 PM »
This comes up a from time to time so might be worth researching some of the old posts.

Boils down to
Will get better with time.
Whenever you have a wrap on you need to slightly stagger your hands or else you risk 'crossing the thread'.
Be supple and try and keep the diabolo closer to your dominant hand (snaps) or free floaty near your non dom hand in orbits.
If you have bad string you risk more snarl ups (and less time before you loose speed).
certain tricks will add spin others rob it, you'll find the ones that add and learn how to minimise loosing speed with experience.

Good luck.

jaigoda

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 06:20:00 PM »
What kind of string are you using and how old is it? I've found that the white string with blue flecks (henry's white) I cannot even use now that I've gone to Henry's yellow string. They're just way too grippy, and if you're not careful, you'll end up with a nice bruise on your face. But either way, I would suggest the same as Sean_; if you're right-handed and have a right wrap on the diabolo, put your left arm farther away from you and your right arm closer to you, and switch directions according to hand dominance and left/right wrap. This should most likely fix the problem.

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 09:23:03 PM »
Hi mickske. The tangling is quite normal thing and probably everyone has
had the same problems. The biggest problem usually is that nobody bothers
to explain why it happens. And in here we are helping each other and somehow
i had time to prepare some hints & pictures for you. ;)

1. So here we have one basic wrap. Don't worry about which handed it is.
Just note it as a wrap. When using power pulls, orbits or doing any other stuff
with diabolo you'll have to keep the other hand slightly more front and the
other little bit back.

2. To figure out which hand to keep more forward. Just do the wrap without any
speed. Keep the string tight and look under the diabolo (picture). You'll have to
keep the other stick more front so that the string doesn't cross. Like in the picture.

3. Here we have the wrong way. If your string goes like this when you get some speed,
there's a risk that the diabolo tangles quite often. After a while you learn that you
don't have to have big difference with the hands placement.

Other stuff: Like you might imagine, the more friction you have in the string the
bigger the risk of tangling. With old strings it tangles pretty easily. Other strings
are thinner so they won't tangle that easily.

-Marko
«Diabolo, whiter than the whitest!»

mofro

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 07:05:45 PM »
good job marco, that was an excellent post, i don't think it could have been explained better.

Just so you know babeshe string gets grubbier much quicker that the henrys stuff, this is due to the Mr.B stuff being corded. this could could cause you to get wrapups faster than you would expect.

mofro
**** fixed and bring on the slack!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal