Author Topic: Donations  (Read 11120 times)

looby

• Donator
Donations
« on: February 21, 2008, 06:43:55 AM »
From the member statistics I've gathered the following:

This forum has a total of 2076 members (of which I think a max of 200 are active) - only a guess but cant be far off.

There have been a total of 12 donators helping Sean cover the costs of providing the community with this resource.

Thats about 0.7% of the total members and 7% of active members.

I'm not sure if the financing of this forum is a burden on Sean but I think more regular users should try and help out no matter how little.  It's the usual cliche but every little helps.

Think about it people [thumbs up]
Rennes July 10-17th 2011!

nev

• Donator
Re: Donations
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 08:43:48 AM »
Good call

But I can't actually find the donation link anymore ??  wasn't there a button before ??
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

martijn

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 11:44:19 AM »
Well said :) I'm not sure how much the server costs are, but I reckon if every (active) member would donate as little as 1 euro/dollar/pound each, we'd have enough for some time.

Click here to donate: www.diabolo.ca/donate.htm

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 02:25:32 PM »
Thanks Looby, Nev, and Martijn. I do need to add that donate button to the new page don't I! Or maybe on the forum itself. There is still a link to the old page in my sig.

Donations were strong at first and then went dry for about 1.5 years (although the shirts helped then). In the last month or two donations have picked up again.

Soon, when I get a chance I'll create something that indicates how much has been donated each year, what the server costs are etc.

I am very grateful to all who have helped out!

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 04:15:36 PM »
When I get a card I'll donate. I should really get around to it sometime soon...
Behind your back is your front.

Mark BMC

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 12:21:08 AM »
Indeed indeed.

Having stats up about costs and stuff is a good idea, I wasn't sure If I had donated a insultingly small amount last time.

I think a .ca fund raiser at the bjc would be a good idea. maybe if I buy a create of beer give the profits for selling it to [legal age] diabolo'ers.

I do have a plan for something in summer but Dorset logistics will probably scupper it.

or I could just donate again. [most probable]

Nahxela

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 02:15:25 AM »
Don't suppose you've got a non-electronic form of supporting?
Otherwise I need to get a credit card or something, which'll be quite a while, to help out ._.
Give a man fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life

Shaun

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 11:05:51 AM »
Done.
Didn't realise the Canadian dollar was worth more than aussie, thats outrageous :D

SuperSlackSambo

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 01:12:37 PM »
Also done, as looby said everylittle helps!  ;)

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 01:41:00 PM »
I donated for the first time yesterday or the day before that I think it was (had to ask for the donatelink so it would be good if it was more visible or in more places).

Could be that many of the forumers simply don´t have much money.
My donation was only a small sum because I can´t really afford much else besides diaboloequipment and gymcosts. I will basically be eating noodles only for a week now to make up for it (luckily I like noodles ;D).
Everyone should be able to afford a euro at least though as already said though without "hurting" too much.

Showing stats for the donations and what is needed would be good. That way you´d be a lot more aware about it. Does the number of threads affect the costs for the forum? If so maybe it would be possible to delete some of the locked/unused ones and if people ever ask the same questions again they could just be answered again? Might be a bad idea I don´t know (might be fun with archived old threads?).

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 04:12:03 PM »
Does the number of threads affect the costs for the forum?
No, not at all. At this point we have more than enough storage space and bandwidth. That wasn't always the case, but thankfully technology has been advancing such that the hosting plan has expanded much faster than our requirements.

I have received quite a few donations in the last day... I'll get back to you all individually shortly. Thanks!

In terms of amounts, I'd say most donations are from $10 to $20 but range from $1 up to $60. Of course, the more the better, but truly, any amount is appreciated. I'll get together an some updatable stats so you can all see how things are going at any point in time. Anything beyond one year's hosting costs will carry on to the next year.

One thing I've always wondered about is whether people want it to be known how much and/or when they donated. I can see advantages to doing it either way. Of course, if we did put up a list of donations, it would be at each individual's discretion whether they wanted the donation to be anonymous or not.

tipiphil

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 04:20:24 PM »
Excellant topic Looby, perhaps the position 'Chief Fundraiser' should be created...

Glad to see some positive results already, though a shame it needs a thread to get people thinking about it.

Mark BMC

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2008, 09:13:29 PM »
I think the amount people donate should be kept completely private. keep the general nice vibe going.

SuperSlackSambo

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2008, 09:28:51 PM »
I think the amount people donate should be kept completely private.

I agree.

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2008, 09:30:10 PM »
I will be turning 18 next year, and with it a Credit/Debit Card, Checks, and PayPal! On top of driving and sex (woo hoo). At which time I will probably also have a steady job that doesn't start June 1st and end August 1st. So I will probably try and donate a steady $10 - 20 dollars a month!

Maybe we could get MB and Henry's etc. to make Diabolo.ca Branded Gear, some of the profit from those products go to supporting the site?
Diabolo Acquired - Thurday, 2/08/07
Vertax Skill Acquired - Thursday, 4/12/07
2 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Tuesday, 5/29/07
3 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Eh, No?

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2008, 04:27:26 AM »
Maybe we could get MB and Henry's etc. to make Diabolo.ca Branded Gear, some of the profit from those products go to supporting the site?

Thats totally not a big ask.  ;)
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2008, 04:38:13 AM »
lol, just a thought, I mean we do have a rather large group of diaboloist on this forum and if we all want to show our love and affection for this forum we would buy the D.ca diabolos over the normal ones =D
Diabolo Acquired - Thurday, 2/08/07
Vertax Skill Acquired - Thursday, 4/12/07
2 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Tuesday, 5/29/07
3 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Eh, No?

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2008, 05:24:32 AM »
IF they were better.
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

LaNgErZ

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2008, 09:57:19 AM »
alot of places actually have that idea allready, for instance yoyonation will have a limited number of yo-yos branded with yoyonation on the side

http://www.yoyonation.com/product.php?productid=16603&cat=251&page=1

lz

Ginger_Tom

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2008, 06:54:29 PM »
Good diab t-shirts you ask?

Watch this space, we could possibly help out on that one.

Always up for a bit of fundraising.

GT
Out of focus lovin', Mark_BMC you legend!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal