Author Topic: Phoenix Diabolo: New Diabolo from Duncan Yo-yos  (Read 51531 times)

Sean

• Administrator
Re: Phoenix Diabolo: New Diabolo from Duncan Yo-yos
« Reply #100 on: November 26, 2008, 01:50:15 PM »
I think this pretty much answers it:
[they] will be cheaper than pretty much all the current higher end offerings from other companies (I don't believe there is an MSRP officially yet, but expect something like 25-30 USD)
Although maybe there is a MSRP now?

They will be available worldwide to any retailer who wants to carry them. Duncan has a huge distribution network as they are one of the largest yoyo/toy companies out there (in business since 1929)... So if you have a favorite store, make sure they've placed their order.

kizzyontay52

« Reply #101 on: November 26, 2008, 08:15:17 PM »
ok, i work for a toy shop. wel sell loadsa diabs but we get them all from butterfingers. how can we get some of these?
"Its, a yoyo, not a mini diabolo. Yes, one of those things with the sticks and that, but this is a yoyo."

Ben.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #102 on: November 26, 2008, 09:50:21 PM »
ok, i work for a toy shop. wel sell loadsa diabs but we get them all from butterfingers. how can we get some of these?
if it is just a toy shop and not a juggling shop then it probably isn't going to get customers coming just for diabolos so stocking a new diabolo with new technology probably isn't going to be their priority. i don't know your situation that well so i may be wrong, but they probably will be quite happy with finesses and flys that a new one.

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #103 on: November 26, 2008, 10:50:53 PM »

You could ask if they could order a specific one? And that one could come with the rest of their stuff they order?

Thats what I do. I go to a sort of a toy shop and they just order specific things for me =)

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #104 on: November 27, 2008, 12:07:29 AM »
if it is just a toy shop and not a juggling shop then it probably isn't going to get customers coming just for diabolos so stocking a new diabolo with new technology probably isn't going to be their priority. i don't know your situation that well so i may be wrong, but they probably will be quite happy with finesses and flys that a new one.

Well talk to your manager or store owner and see if they do business with Duncan Yo-Yo's. If they do you probably can order a unit or two of them. Simple.
Diabolo Acquired - Thurday, 2/08/07
Vertax Skill Acquired - Thursday, 4/12/07
2 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Tuesday, 5/29/07
3 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Eh, No?

kizzyontay52

« Reply #105 on: November 27, 2008, 08:01:02 PM »

biggest juggling shop in norwich..

nah, we dont have anything from duncan atm.
"Its, a yoyo, not a mini diabolo. Yes, one of those things with the sticks and that, but this is a yoyo."

LaNgErZ

• Donator
« Reply #106 on: November 27, 2008, 10:20:33 PM »
duncan don't distribute in the uk so you have to go direct. they have price breaks depending on how much you buy of course but generally there are pretty good margins on most products, so it would be worth bearing in mind for your store kizzy (especially seeing as it has such a great name)

would definately like to get my hands on a pair for evaluation.

lz

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #107 on: November 29, 2008, 09:18:47 AM »
so it would be worth bearing in mind

The pun was obviously not intentional?
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

Will G

« Reply #108 on: November 30, 2008, 09:45:11 PM »
duncan do distribute in the UK

LaNgErZ

• Donator
« Reply #109 on: December 01, 2008, 12:28:12 PM »
i meant duncan do not have a set uk distributor, you have to buy from them directly. i know because i have done it myself.

but if you have more experience in the field of selling yo-yos and diabolos please elaborate further. oh thats right your 14

lz

Spink

« Reply #110 on: December 01, 2008, 01:47:18 PM »
^^^^^^^^
 ::) HaNdBaGz Lz  :-*

3rd Base + Hubstacks =

kyo

« Reply #111 on: December 01, 2008, 04:14:43 PM »
I'm quite sure any store can stock Duncan products if they so choose, all they need to do is contact Duncan about it.. seems pretty straight forward to me.

Kyle

Will G

« Reply #112 on: December 01, 2008, 07:13:30 PM »
sorry langerz, I misunderstood, I thought you meant that you could not buy duncan products from a UK store.

kyo

« Reply #113 on: December 04, 2008, 06:44:36 PM »
Looks like they have started arriving in stores.. went up on an american site today (infinite illusions)

..awful description for it, but it's there :)

Kyle

aya

« Reply #114 on: December 10, 2008, 09:46:39 PM »
I don't post often but just wanted to pass on some info:

"The new Pheonix Duncan Diabolo arrived at Lofty Pursuits(infinite illusions' store front). Since Kyle  is leaving this week to move back Texas, we are going to have a release party for Kyle tonight from 6:30 to 7:30 pm. Please come by Lofty and join us and say hello to the new diabolo and good bye to Kyle."

So if you find yourself in Tallahassee, FL tonight with nothing to do....

As for the diab, I've had a little time with it and I'd give it 5 stars. one star for being a great beginner and advenced diab, one for the great $ value, one for the quality of parts, one its bearing/fixedness, one and a half stars for the quick tooless breakdown for traveling (and switching from bearing to fixed). subtract a half star for the funky sticks and lack of instructions (I don't need 'em but someone surly will)

Cheers.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #115 on: December 18, 2008, 02:57:45 PM »
I see that Amazon.com and YoYoSam are also now carrying them in the US. A couple places are already sold out of reds. So - does anyone have one of these things and can post a real photo? Thanks Ken!

Higgins Brothers is hoping to get them soon in Canada.

Oh, and apparently there is something else named Phoenix Diabolo too. Bizarre.

Ken

• Donator
« Reply #116 on: December 18, 2008, 03:37:32 PM »
So - does anyone have one of these things and can post a real photo?

Your wish is my (and all that shiz)...

[smg type=link align=none caption="Full size..." id=246]

[smg type=link align=none caption="Full size..." id=245]

I was up at the Oddballs shop in London yesterday, and Nathan had just got them in that day, so I had a play around to see what it was like.

Overall, I wasn't too impressed with it... I found quite frequently that the axle itself kept switching back and forth between fixed and bearing, which, granted, was easily rememdied whilst still spinning, but a little annoying. At one point the axle didn't seem to want to co-operate at all - it stayed in the fixed mode of play no matter how many times we (Nathan and myself) switched the bearing/fixed spacer over. There are other things that I didn't really like about it, but I'll leave it at that, for now.

Now, I'm not saying it's a bad diabolo, as they look quite cool and are rather clever to boot, just throwing my opinion out there (for what it's worth) - by no means am I a diabolo buff, so my experience/knowledge of this particular diabolo means... well, you get the idea.

Edit - You're more than welcome, Sean.

mellowscholar

« Reply #117 on: December 18, 2008, 05:23:56 PM »
It seems odd that they'd even put them on the market with a problem like that, it's a pretty important and defining feature of the diabolo. It's a shame they've come out like that.

(Also, how come the posted date on those photos in the gallery is 26th September 2007?)

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #118 on: December 18, 2008, 06:29:56 PM »
(Also, how come the posted date on those photos in the gallery is 26th September 2007?)
Because this is enabled in the gallery settings:
Use Exif datetime for upload date if available
If the file has Exif data available, the upload date will use its datetime setting instead of the current time.
I can only assume the date on Ken's camera is a bit off.

kyo

« Reply #119 on: December 18, 2008, 09:11:47 PM »
So something interesting on the comment about it locking up.. I've been through a -lot- of prototypes, testing, etc.. and never had that problem. Then, today, I took a brand new one out of the package and played with it while out in the cold weather (rare here).. it did it a few times. I found that after about 10 minutes it stopped and didn't do it anymore, but it's the first I've ever seen that happen.

Not sure if this is a rough spot on the washer somewhere that wears down, or if it's the cold itself that is causing it, but the problem definitely is gone now and hasn't appeared again thus far.

I'd be interested to hear any other experience with this.

Kyle

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal