Author Topic: Pierre Marchand versus Jacob Sharpes  (Read 5087 times)

samuli

• VotW Contributor
Pierre Marchand versus Jacob Sharpes
« on: March 12, 2008, 04:03:26 AM »
Which you like better Pierre Marchand versus Jacob Sharpes?

Pure tecnical skill or pure performance?

What do you think?

tell me your oppinion, I would like  to know...
www.fdc2016.org /www.supiainen.com

Shaun

• Donator
Re: Pierre Marchand versus Jacob Sharpes
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 04:11:53 AM »
Are you serious!!? hahaha :D
Pierre is way out of Jacob Shapes league!! I think Tony Frebourg is a better performer than Pierre too.
Is this thread really worthy of existence?

Sharpes

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 05:27:53 AM »
I throw in the towel. marchand is better. by leagues
Jacob and Nate Sharpe

Sharpes

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 05:39:11 AM »
as a more serious append to that post:

I think that my act right now would not get nearly as high a reaction as marchand's, if neither audience had seen the other. I hope that if an audience saw my act first, they'd be able to see that Marchand isn't very skilled, but I think that's optimistic. I think that if they saw his first they might see how different and more interesting the technique was and appreciate that.

I'm hoping to improve my act's coreography, character, comedy, etc. over the next few months to the point where the performance value is on par with Marchand's; even then, his style is so much different than mine, in that he is about energy and glitters and flashes, whereas I'm working towards a more personal, comedic relationship with the audience.

And I disagree completely with the characterization of my performance as "pure tecnical skill". Perhaps in the video up right now, I seem to lack some performance value, but I think live I certainly have a distinct performance style and character.

And Marchand's act isn't purely performance; in fact the reason it does well is because he is able to convince the audience that he is in fact very technically skilled.

furthermore, I think that technical skill in diabolo naturally lends itself to performance. Diabolo tricks are naturally visually appealing; this aspect helps a huge amount to make up for the fact that it's so foreign to most people; people can watch a diabolo and enjoy it without having any idea what is difficult, whereas with juggling, most patterns don't have too much natural beauty.
Jacob and Nate Sharpe

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 05:41:41 AM »
Who cares, you've got nothing on this.

[youtube=425,350]zRimHsql6C4
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

Hathaway

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 08:25:15 AM »
Will has a point Jacob! I've never seen you do a double chinese suicide, or the advanced cats cradle for that matter...

Jussi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 08:30:34 AM »
Which you like better Pierre Marchand versus Jacob Sharpes?
Pure tecnical skill or pure performance?
What do you think?
tell me your oppinion, I would like  to know...

Haha, this is weird question. I think "pure performance" is something you must do without diabolo.

If we talk about diabolo here jacob sharpe is better. Jacob sharpe is maybe best diabolist in the world right now. Pierre Marchand is not.

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 10:56:16 AM »
Dropping few thoughts to here as well. The thing that bothers me, while watching
Marchand is this. Probably like 70-80% of forum users could do most of his routine
technically. And many are way better than that. But still, Marchand is the one doing
it in Lido. Getting more money than anyone of us does(?) by doing diabolo. So we
can't whine about him working his way up there. Don't get me wrong, i could never
perform a show like that. The small voices in my head don't let me do that. ;)

I can't really judge him for doing better gigs than i'll probably ever get to do. The same
applies to Jacob. I can't judge him neither, he is doing diabolo on the level that i
cannot never do in my life.

So i'm just saying, if we are better than Marchand. Why aren't we there, in his place
performing diabolo every night? It kind of makes you think about stuff.
┬źDiabolo, whiter than the whitest!┬╗

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 04:06:52 PM »
Well my guess, and I hope I'm right for Jacob's sake, is that after his gig in europe this summer (If he still is doing it)
He will probably be asked to play at some higher paying gig's as well.
I'm hoping Jacob will easily overtake Pierre, because being a diaboloist, i can hardly stand watching Pierre run around stage and act like what he's doing is hard.

Kusti

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 05:25:37 PM »
I think Pierre is funny, even though that may not be his intention. He moves like a dancer from the 80's musicvideos, doesn't he?

If I got to choose between the two performances, I would go see Jacob's show with live music and whatnot.

Relativity

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 09:39:38 AM »
This is kind of like asking who's the better magician, David Copperfield (Showy) or David Blaine (Technical)? You can't really compare them that well because they're trying to achieve totally different things.
Nothing to stop Jacob donning a sparkly sequin suit and dancing around like a squirrel on red bull.
A large amount of practice needed by Pierre to do routine like Jacobs.
Fire Walk With Me...

nezzybaby

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 10:51:54 AM »
DAVID BLAINE IS ALL SHOW that comment really annoyed me. He has one magic trick, the double lift, everything else is just showmanship and wierdness, if anything Copperfield is the more talented magician.

... and for the record Jacob is a fantastic showman, the circus schmirkus videos are possibly the most entertaining diabolo videos i have ever seen, the crowd is enthrawled all the way through. Don't judge his showmanship based on the latest video, which as he has mentioned is a work in progress. So to summarise, they are both great showmen, but Jacob is a significantly better diabolist.

Oh ... btw wheels and be sharpe are the two best videos ever uploaded on this site.

tomangleberger

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2008, 08:10:54 PM »
DAVID BLAINE IS ALL SHOW that comment really annoyed me. He has one magic trick, the double lift, everything else is just showmanship and wierdness, if anything Copperfield is the more talented magician.

... and for the record Jacob is a fantastic showman, the circus schmirkus videos are possibly the most entertaining diabolo videos i have ever seen, the crowd is enthrawled all the way through. Don't judge his showmanship based on the latest video, which as he has mentioned is a work in progress. So to summarise, they are both great showmen, but Jacob is a significantly better diabolist.

Oh ... btw wheels and be sharpe are the two best videos ever uploaded on this site.

Word up, Nezzy Baby!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal