Author Topic: america's got talent--who's done it before?  (Read 13611 times)

america's got talent--who's done it before?
« on: March 21, 2008, 12:04:44 AM »
I might go to audition at Americas got talent on april 6th ;D
but I want to no if its worth going to since im not the greatest yoyoist

Has anyone passed the audition? please mention your skill lvl and age
and any other advice appreciated! :)
Supplier of Chinese yoyos

Re: america's got talent--who's done it before?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 12:30:07 AM »
I think Jacob Sharpe or Nate or both should try out, they would blow away the competition i'm sure.

J_J777

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 12:43:56 AM »
I believe Tony Frebourg came in second place in the french version of it called "Incroyable Talent".  I don't know about the American one though...

Josh

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 12:46:54 AM »
I know a yoyoist who got into Australias got talent. Not sure how he went.
Heh, Gatto got rejected :D
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

aznalien

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 12:56:19 AM »
i remember seeing a guy on it several years back, i think 2006? but you should go for it, cant hurt can it? ;)
hahaha. TRU DAT BROTHA!

Sharpes

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 01:09:23 AM »
I've heard awful, awful things about how they treat jugglers on the show
Jacob and Nate Sharpe

aznalien

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 01:15:17 AM »
ok, maybe it can hurt... :P
hahaha. TRU DAT BROTHA!

Tom Derrick

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 01:15:58 AM »
Heh, Gatto got rejected :D
Really? That's the first I've heard of it.

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 01:28:45 AM »
I've heard awful, awful things about how they treat jugglers on the show

Hey, you've got nothing to worry about.
Just tell them your not jugglers, that your diaboloists.
Anyway, your the Best Diaboloists.
And that beats the crap out of their talents.

Shaun

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 02:17:49 AM »
Can't hurt to try. Worst thing about that show is that all the kids and grandmas make it to the finals with crap acts. Personally I didn't really see how it was about talent, more about entertainment...which can be a talent I suppose.
I think the Sharpes would do great, definately finals contention imo.

willum89

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 02:56:15 AM »
Only problem I would see is having to step up and change the performance every time. A normal audience wouldn't be able to notice the small changes that go into tricks that cause the trick to be more difficult and amazing when executed correctly. Might just be me but I find myself using generally the same set of tricks in all my performances just in different orders and slight variations. I never do more than one variation of a similar trick because most people just can't catch the difference.

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 06:55:54 AM »
Can't hurt to try. Worst thing about that show is that all the kids and grandmas make it to the finals with crap acts.

Excellent. :D I might give it a go. Heh, but seriously - Why not I guess.
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 09:08:18 AM »
Do you like to be made to feel like a complete loser?
I know a number of diabolists (including myself) who tried out for Britain's got talent...no-one lasted over 30 seconds. I think i managed a whopping 10.

Followed by such delights as...
Simon - "We've seen plenty of kids doing this already"
Me - "but you haven't seen ME do it"
Peirs - "well we have now"

and

Simon - "Throwing something high to dance music is not impressive"
Me - "I had no intention of throwing it high"
Simon - "what was that then?"
Me (i'd thrown it high in disgust, after all 3 buzzers went off) - "That was an expression of disappointment"

So yeah, by all means go for it...but please be ready to feel like punching someone.

Some advice if you are thinking about it:
- Look good. Wear a proper costume and make-up. Looking like you do it professionally will help you no-end. Being dressed in practice clothes or a half-arsed costume like just all black, will instantly put them off.
- Do something big straight away! If you can, get a vertax-geno into the routine in like the first 5-10 seconds...if they still buzz you instantly after that, then obviously they just can't be bothered with you as predicted.
- Don't use dance music. Pick something interesting, and try to choreograph to it, it'll make a bigger impact.
- Don't expect anything.

Beni

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 09:52:47 AM »
THese shows are completely scripted and thought out with minimal, if any regard for talent whatsoever. They take the people who will make "good TV", they twist words and create characters with editing and basically set out to humiliate people to make money. They can manipulate the contestants because of the watertight contracts and at the end of it all most come of worse and a lot more cynical about life.
Take the X factor/Pop Idol/American Idol for example. They are all exactly the same show, using singing as an entertainment medium as most everybody can sing a little and so they have the liberty of choosing the most "entertaining" characters for the show. They claim to audition tens of thousands of people in what, a few months. Do the maths and you soon see there's something wrong. Then they choose the crazy people and the desperate people for the "auditions", and with considerable editing skill they make it seem as though the judges have conducted a tiring, exciting, emotional search for the biggest singing talent in the country. In reality, the judges probably all hate each other and spend their off-camera time smoking and throwing mobiles at people.
Yes, it's a clever way to make a lot of money, but it cruelly plays on the gullibility of the public and hurts a lot of people involved in the show.
Still, it makes good TV.

Beni
(I highly recommend Ben Elton's book Chart Throb if you're as cynical about all this as I am)

Mark BMC

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2008, 01:08:23 PM »
ouch norbi interesting post

these shows dont seem to be geared up to jugglers, i suppose the one thing is you can now put "as seen on tv" on your juggling cv, will impress some booker's

My friend magic sam got to the final of "let me entertain you" [he was the magic bit of bongo magic circus]  with northan humour and magic. he got beaten by the obligatory cute singing child as i remember but still made a couple of grand. So i cant dismiss these shows all together. You do have to have an "angle" just good technical juggling isn't going to cut it.

[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VDmGP4h-v8M&rel=0&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VDmGP4h-v8M&rel=0&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

this guy was fine afterwards BTW

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2008, 04:17:35 PM »
heh in Norbi's situation I probably would have "throw it high" into the judges - but nevertheless they seem to be complete jerks, and if they want someone that will make good tv be a complete jerk back ::) I wouldn't go for it if I haven't won 100's of competitions, or been in Cirque du Soleil
Diabolo Acquired - Thurday, 2/08/07
Vertax Skill Acquired - Thursday, 4/12/07
2 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Tuesday, 5/29/07
3 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Eh, No?

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2008, 08:00:10 PM »
Beware, this will easily be my longest post ever...

I went to the "Talang 2008" here because people ALWAYS bugged me about it when I practiced, and they promised me they wouldn´t do so anymore if I just went there one time, so I did...

DO NOT APPLY is my advice (Tony did get 2nd but he is so geared to performance with acrobatics as well that it works). I tried in the Swedish version of it a couple of weeks back (first time I ever performed). I was treated very, very badly even though I got two greens. I will go through what happened to me like Norbi did. Be prepared for a detailed and long, long story:

First of all, there was the initial "audition". I had practiced the night before only to put together an act (maybe not very smart to do it so close) however halfway into my first song of 2 they cut me off and said "OK you´re through". I got a bit upset and asked why they cut me off and they said it was only supposed to be 2 mins (noone had given me any info before about this). This was after waiting a whole day doing nothing and they just said to come back in the morning and the day after (I got out of school for 2 days which was nice). You also had to sign a contract with incredibly stupid demands. TVpeople were major pains already at this point.

Next day I show up just to sit and wait again a whole day (or do interviews with people). Had only found a new 2 min song that previous night and not practiced at all to it. They gave you one preparation on the stage (but I didn´t know what to do because I only picked a song the night before) and there was nowhere to practice. So in short you waited that WHOLE day for 5 min stage preparation. Luckily, there were some nice people among the other "contestants" there so there was at least someone to talk to.

The TVpeople were arses who did nothing but walk around and treat people like s**t and humiliating you in interviews. They actually filmed people while giving them a yoyo to show people how "crappy they were at something they didn´t normally do". Unfortunately, since I´ve practiced a bit of yoyo (more than one minute anyway), I never understood that joke and started to do some tricks. They got angry at me because "I didn´t screw up like I was supposed to".

They also told you to say stupid stuff in interviews (which fortunately I never did) like "Hi, I like to spin things on strings" (it sounds dumb in english but even worse in my language). In another interview one of the interviewers said he had practiced yoyo, so I asked him about yoyotricks. Turned out he was lying in your face, but they´ll "edit that out". They also ofcourse wanted me to score "pitypoints" by telling them all about my autism and difficulties. I refused and actually got quite angry, so they dropped the subject, but only after a long time and arguing when they finally understood I was going to leave if they didn´t shut up. Two newspapers interviewed me, one of them got my name right, the other quoted things I never said.

On the TV-crew finally I want to quote Sybil Fawlty: "I've seen more intelligent creatures than you swimming at the bottom of ponds! I've seen better organised creatures than you running 'round farm yards with their heads cut off!"

On to the next day, you sit and wait the whole day again. You never knew when you were going to do your act. You got one more practice on stage, and at that point they wanted to interfere in the act. I  suddenly got called in with no warning at all.

Then they shoved me out in front of 600 people (596 more than I´ve ever performed for before ;D) so apparently I only realised while there that it was a big deal.

Judges in our version is a crappy kidsmagician, a fat and ignorant CD-producer and a TV-show host I know nothing about. First they asked if Diabolo was difficult. I said no because I practice a lot (duh!). They then proceeded to make fun of my dialect because they "couldn´t understand if what I was saying was Danish or Swedish". During this entire time the audience kept on laughing, I think, mostly because the whole thing didn´t really phase me. I just went on to do what I do in practice, but in public and was only there for the hell of it. I also talked like I normally do, which may have been why people were laughing. I did my act and got a great response from the audience who were really nice and made a LOT of noise already a few secs in (at an unwrapped inf. suicide :P). Act finishes and audience went wild.

Then the first judge (magician) says: You are so totally incredible. We judge on a lot of things. One of those things is the technicality of the things you do and you are incredible. That was so incredibly nerdy and so incredibly good. So, he did give me a green but being called nerdy by a MAGICIAN is f-ing annoying. Also, he tried to pose himself off as an "expert" who knew about juggling when in fact obviously he knew NOTHING!!

Next comes fat CD-producer man. He says:
"There is no way in the world to develop this act further" (I had only done 1D tricks with no excalibur the entire act). "We´ve seen this before" (which I don´t believe because Sweden does not in all fairness contain that many diabolists).
"Two minutes is enough and you´ve already gotten that" (but he said it wrong). At that point I went on with making fun of his crappy grammar and he got laughed at by the audience (he had already pressed red at this point and was a moron anyway so it was OK ;)) and he simply got really angry and insulted me again so I just didn´t bother anymore.

Last judge in the middle (the "token nice woman") said that it was really good and gave thumbs up so she was just short, nice and polite.

Audience were going totally crazy during the entire act so that was definitely the best part of the experience. They appreciated it so that was fun. Infact, I even got to sign autographs afterwards ;D.

The people who got all greens were a 6 year old girl who danced and sung songs by Siw Malmquist (crappy songs from the 50´s or so), a blind girl who played piano (worse than even myself and I haven´t played for 7 years+), two small guys who danced (who were alright at least but not superspecial), and a girl with a trained dog (the dog had talent, but she didn´t). All these acts were great "sympathyacts" (doesn´t matter if you can´t play your instrument if you´re blind right? Who doesn´t like kids or dogs right?). It´s not a talentcompetition, it´s a "dokusåpa" (english word?) where all that matters is if you will "work" on screen or if people will think you´re cute.

All the great acts, another dancer with the same style as the other two who was really good technically, world class Bob Dylan impersonator, two other magicians who weren´t great but better than the "winners", acrobats, a woman who played one of those big Australian horns (forgot the name) nad had so for almost 15 years were shot down completely in favor of the "cute" acts. Almost every musician got a good response from mr. fatty too but any juggler, acrobat, something else got red almost before they started by that guy.

After you got away from the stage, they wanted to film "strong reactions" of anger, sadness or happiness. I didn´t really care either way the entire time I was there so they told me to "fake it and make it look real". I never did so they just gave up after take 2.

They then told you that they would call you if you went through to act 2. Still a long time left so I don´t know anything yet, but if I actually do get through I wont be going again anyway. They belittle your skill and are quite simply the biggest bunch of donkeyholes you could ever find.

In 2007 the worlds crappiest and unfunniest yoyoer ever got through
(Jojo-Erik. Look and laugh on youtube, he claimed he´d been practicing 10+years. Apparently he´s a "supergood" yoyoer). Jugglingacts that didn´t go through last year who were technically superior and more entertaining were Victor Rubilar and Mattias who´s also on this forum probably. The saddest one of all was "Skånske Elias". Search that to see some "true talent" (he got to the finals along with "Diamond dogs" LMAO). I´d be happy to give some examples of these "acts" later in another post.

Heh, Gatto got rejected
I thought that was just a joke in one of his vids, but there´s no doubt in my mind he would get rejected because I can´t imagine the judges in other countries being that much smarter than in England or Sweden. They would probably say "well, we´ve already seen SO many 9 ball cascades or 7 club pirouettes. Noone cares if you´re a worldclass juggler. Sorry. If you were 5 and could sing or dance you´d be through. NEXT!"

Look good. Wear a proper costume and make-up. Looking like you do it professionally will help you no-end. Being dressed in practice clothes or a half-arsed costume like just all black, will instantly put them off.

Good advice for people who still want to torment themselves. I went in dressed like s**t, but hey, at least MY ACT wasn´t s**t.

Worst thing about that show is that all the kids and grandmas make it to the finals with crap acts. Personally I didn't really see how it was about talent, more about entertainment...which can be a talent I suppose.

That´s what happened here last year. Only problem was none of them were entertaining either.

I hope I´ve helped someone get a bit more insight with this superlong post (I know it´s been a rant). Diabolists and jugglers everywhere are above this crap. Sorry if the language I´ve used have been rough at times, it just goes to show how much I disliked the entire experience. Also, way to go Norbi. Sounds like you had some good answers to some ignorant people.

Beni

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2008, 09:42:01 PM »
I thought as much...

Thanks for that.

Beni

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2008, 10:12:46 PM »
Sounds pretty slack. I'd like you to PM me and tell me what those things you didn't say are.

Niclas

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2008, 10:14:03 PM »
I'd like you to PM me and tell me what those things you didn't say are.
Me too!
Your like diabolo news reporter Niclas, always bringing out the updates fast. Nice work.
http://wwww.youtube.com/DiaboloNiclas

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal