Author Topic: A bug and some weirdness...  (Read 3794 times)

Aaron Z

A bug and some weirdness...
« on: April 07, 2008, 12:48:48 PM »
Alright, every day I browse through several articles on this site, and have noticed two recurring... things  :-\

One is that the search button is faulty, sometimes when you make a search you'll receive a message box saying there were no results, but if you click the search button again on that message box all the relevant articles finally pop up.
Eg. try searching 'sun'. I get a "no results' message, but when I click search in that message box, the relevant articles come up.

This one is less of a bug or technical problem, it's just that the 'new' sticker next to the titles of articles stays there for too long.
Eg. a one-month old thread may still have the 'new' sticker next to its name. It's just a bit hard to distinguish really new threads from older ones when browsing the site...

seán_

Re: A bug and some weirdness...
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 01:03:54 PM »
Yeah that search thing seems to be a bug.

'New' is there if there are posts in a thread you haven't read yet. You might want to 'mark forum read' from the button at the top or bottom occasionally if you want to keep things more current. (oh and newer stuff tends to be higher up)

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 01:23:47 PM »
Yes, there did appear to be a problem with the SMF search function. Thanks for bringing it up. Did I fix it? (I disabled 'simple search').

As Seán said, the "new" icon is entirely local to your account. It will disappear when you've read the thread or when you've marked it as read. It will re-appear if someone adds a post or edits a post within.

Keeping your read threads under control also allows you to use the handy "Show unread posts since last visit." at the top.

Aaron Z

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 07:32:30 AM »
Alright, thanks for clearing that up.

The search button works for me now.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 02:12:47 PM »
It's still failing for me sometimes. We will be switching to SMF 2.0 in the coming months. In the 2.0 test forum I've set up there's no problem with the search.

Did it always do this?

seán_

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 05:31:30 PM »
yup, which was why I never shouted too hard at people about searching ;)

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2008, 04:33:59 PM »
Did I fix it? It's working for me right now. I played with the indexing settings and removed an old index.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal