Author Topic: fixed axle vertax  (Read 2520 times)

jwockydwb

fixed axle vertax
« on: April 25, 2008, 02:44:19 PM »
I've been at a complete standstill with my vertaxing for over 2 months now. Crappy weather is probably the biggest reason why, but I've started wondering if maybe a fixed axle diabolo (finesse to be exact) is just the wrong prop for the job. I can do some basic tricks, but almost none of them are reliable because I lose so much speed that by the time the diabolo is back near my RH, wrapped and ready to be whipped, it's practically stalled.

I've come across a few threads discussing the various pros/cons of fixed vs. bearing, and most people seem to agree that bearing is superior to fixed when it comes to vertax. In addition, someone mentioned that finesse are particularly tricky to manage in vertax because of the rough gripiness of the cups. Although frankly, the one time I got to play with a circus I had pretty much the same difficulties in vertax.

I should point out that although I do own a bearing diabolo, I almost never pull it out. The reasons aren't that important, and rather than derail my own thread I'll just say that I'd prefer to use the fixed axle for vertax.

Since I have such a hard time recognizing diabolos in vertax videos, my question is how many of you out there vertax with a fixed axle on a regular basis? while busking/performing?
Please, I really don't want a discussion of fixed vs. bearing. There is already a thread for that, I'm just wondering if anybody else is/was as stubborn as me about vertaxing with fixed axle. Anecdotes, tips etc. while vertaxing with fixed would be appreciated, but mainly, I just want to know I'm not the only one perversely unyielding about using fixed axle for everything up to and including vertax.

Thanks,
-dWb

edit - errrr .... just realized I posted this in the gear section, which might not be the best place for it. If it fits better elsewhere, could a kind mod please move it? Thanks.

Sean

• Administrator
Re: fixed axle vertax
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 02:59:01 PM »
Yes, many tricks are easier with bearings than fixed axles with vertax, but I'd bet that almost all of the 'big names' you've seen performing vertax/excalibur do so with fixed axles.

Tr'espace, probably the leaders in the field for many years now, use regular circus diabolos. OK, so they also have some modified diabolos now for certain tricks, but that's besides the point. Watch them diabolo for a few minutes and you'll lose all preconceptions of what is possible in excalibur with fixed axles.

Bearing axles make it possible to do some sequences for longer or with sloppier technique (genocides for example) and open up the possibilities for some completely new tricks (but not the standard ones you see most of time time!).

I believe most of the excalibur sequences from recent video history were done with fixed axles.

In answer to your question:
Since I have such a hard time recognizing diabolos in vertax videos, my question is how many of you out there vertax with a fixed axle on a regular basis? while busking/performing?
Most!

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 06:50:41 PM »
Quick question is there a bearing wide axle for finnese?

And do people think its cheating to use bearings?

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 07:35:31 PM »
Quick question is there a bearing wide axle for finnese?
Not really. There is a bearing axle for the finesse that is slightly wider than normal and the about to be released official version, but this isn't the same as the wide axle either. This is a tad offtopic.
And do people think its cheating to use bearings?
It's been covered many times over if you have a look around...
bearing diabolo is it cheating??
Fixed Axle vs. Bearing Axle
Tricks with bearing
Good uses for Bearing diabolos
Differences in the playing-technique: Bearing/Norm

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal