Author Topic: "Man lebt nur Einmal" Short Video  (Read 17972 times)

Thoùm

Re: "Man lebt nur Einmal" Short Video
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2008, 09:55:13 AM »
I'm saying that precisely about this video, because Pranay has a very high level. I'm sick and tired of good jugglers that just "do the same". And recycle, as Mofett says, that's not for me to redo a trick in a combo in wich others tricks are pasted together, but to do this trick in a new way.
The smooth execution (what smooth means, I don't know) of a trick known by anyone and that a lot of other jugglers has already done don't impress me.

I'm not saying that pranay is a bad juggler, or that he doesn't master what he does. But I can't understand that all comments in this whole forum are always positive. This video, compared with the hundreds of good ones that can be found on the web, or the great inovative spirit that is carried out in the votw, can't be mentionned as a good one. The real question we maybe should ask to ourselves is 'what we want to see" ? By a diabolist who is skilled like pranay, this is not a 'great work' or a 'great video'.

I hope we can understand.

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2008, 10:15:44 AM »
As Pranay siad, this video wasn't meant to be a video full of new tricks with everything done to perfection, it was a video made with what footage he had from Autumn, so I think it's pretty good by those standards.

AS FOR THE CONFLICT IN VIEWS:I think both are fair points and people have the right to say what they think, without worry about what other people will say. I thought it was said with respect and so was fine by me.

OFFTOPIC: If you're the jongle.net mod 'Thoùm' I didn't realise you posted here. Welcome aboard! :D
Behind your back is your front.

Thoùm

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2008, 11:09:45 AM »
Thank you leo, I'm this Thoùm  ;D

aaro

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2008, 11:19:59 AM »
Hm, i think the main reason why people give mostly positive feedback for videos posted here is that they are free. This may sound bit weird but if you give nothing to Pranay for making the video in return than your feedback, you might want to do it with a positive tone. If you get something for free you usually don´t have the right to complain. Internet is quite wondrous thing, as you can find some of the best jugglers in the world with just a few clicks, just be grateful while it lasts.  

I´m getting bit tired of people ranting that everything should be new... Let´t do new things with 5000 year old juggling prop... Juggling is marginal art and diabolo is marginal inside juggling, most of the people you perform to have never seen it, or at least they don´t remember, so everything you do from elevator to high throw is new and fresh :)
Do you want diabolo to be "high art" like experimental theatre or something really hard to understand for normal people? Go and do modern dance.

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2008, 01:18:08 PM »
Do you want diabolo to be "high art" like experimental theatre or something really hard to understand for normal people? Go and do modern dance.

Snap.

Crackers

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2008, 01:26:19 PM »
Hm, i think the main reason why people give mostly positive feedback for videos posted here is that they are free. This may sound bit weird but if you give nothing to Pranay for making the video in return than your feedback, you might want to do it with a positive tone. If you get something for free you usually don´t have the right to complain. Internet is quite wondrous thing, as you can find some of the best jugglers in the world with just a few clicks, just be grateful while it lasts. 

I´m getting bit tired of people ranting that everything should be new... Let´t do new things with 5000 year old juggling prop... Juggling is marginal art and diabolo is marginal inside juggling, most of the people you perform to have never seen it, or at least they don´t remember, so everything you do from elevator to high throw is new and fresh :)
This post is so good

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2008, 02:01:41 PM »
No need to put that in size one font. Well said.

Well, it was a bit mean, and flame-y so I decided to hide it but make it an optional read.
Diabolo Acquired - Thurday, 2/08/07
Vertax Skill Acquired - Thursday, 4/12/07
2 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Tuesday, 5/29/07
3 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Eh, No?

Jem

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2008, 02:33:18 PM »
Some interesting comments to a great little vid. Good one m8.Your 1d suicides are always an inspiration.

martijn

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2008, 02:57:00 PM »
I enjoyed the video Pranay, you have a solid style. The infinite wrapped mini g integral move (we need simpler names) at 0.55 is crazy! It looks so beautiful. Thanks!

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2008, 03:11:14 PM »
Well said Aaro. Some videos are intended to be earthshatteringly creative while others are just for fun. I certainly made a few like that back in the day. I for one, am glad that Pranay chose to share it with us. It was short, not repetitive, and enjoyable for many - in that sense it was a positive contribution to the diabolo community.

Personally, I enjoyed it.

Sharpes

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2008, 06:09:46 PM »
Awesome, I'm jealous of your unwrapped Taiwanese infinite suicide genocide skills, those are a lot of fun when they work. And your style continues to look awesome, long white carbons look awesome with that stuff.

@Thoum:
Why should we ask ourselves "what we want to see"?? I think that when you produce a video, it should be true to yourself. If you want to make a video that will be a "great work", then you should do that, but if you don't care, and just want to make something that you like and can be proud of, why should you care what people want to see?? Like aaro said, its for free.  We don't have a right to insult people and complain until they give us what we want. Even if you're asking for more creativity, it's still crushing free spirit. You're peer pressuring us into doing what you want, instead of what we want, which is wrong.
Jacob and Nate Sharpe

Thoùm

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2008, 06:54:30 PM »
So because the video is free, the comments should be always positive ? Accepting (i don't know if it's the good word), okay. But I think that my comments aren't only negative. My aim is not to say that this particular video is very bad and unviewable, but that it's not as incredible that all your comments let think. Nobody, for example, noticed that the fan trick at 0'20" is copied on Clement in the Petit lu's video about Carvin ?

And I didn't insult anyone ! I just want to let you see what is it negative in this video, it's good if we want some evolution. (there is a 'if' : I'm not crushing your free spirit ^^)
The thing that distinguishes my way to appreciate the videos (and i don't say that it's the only good one) is that I'm always longing for some innovation. If you agree with me to say that there is nothing new in this vid, there is no more disagreement ! The only point is that I don't like trivial videos, technically speaking. And I'm not found of Pranay's style, but it's also my own problem.

This post is not insulting ! It's a sincere and subjective opinion, that's all.

... Juggling is marginal art and diabolo is marginal inside juggling, most of the people you perform to have never seen it, or at least they don't remember, so everything you do from elevator to high throw is new and fresh Smiley

We are not in a common place, here, there is some guys that are obsessed by diabolo, that know a thousand things about this object. If you consider the thing on which you spent so much time with the same condescendance that on the 'modern dance', as you say... There is definitely something I'll never understand. Don't try to tell me that you still enjoy the elevator the same way that the first time you saw it  :D
Diabolo is just a game, i agree, but it's like all the games, if the rules are always the same and if you never try to change them a little, it ends like a puzzle you resolved a thousand times. Boring. And this video is already really hard to understand for 'normal people' as you say.

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2008, 07:36:12 PM »
It's a small video and the tricks are nothing special...just watch

Pranay said it himself and I think it's been overlooked a little.
Behind your back is your front.

looby

• Donator
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2008, 07:57:06 PM »
Pranay said it himself and I think it's been overlooked a little.

Exactly!

For anyone that feels the need to criticise Pranay's ability to make diabolo look awesome take a look at one of my favourite diabolo moments ever.  Specifically 4-10 seconds....that for me, is the best example of synching audio and visual in a diabolo clip to date.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1BUZQ5hXcw

Rennes July 10-17th 2011!

dave from the grave

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2008, 08:01:44 PM »
at Thoùm :

don't you think you are looking too hard into this? this video was a post by Pranay to show us some tricks (all of us!). everyone
should be able to, and might i say can upload anything that they have created to share. it is always good to see videos uploaded good or bad. the bad ones get comment that provoke POSITIVE criticism the good ones get congratulations as all the people who do film/edit know that it is not an easy task to do.

just appreciate what a fellow forum member wanted to share.
Beware of the super secret guild of shadow spooners!

pranay

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2008, 09:28:15 PM »
hmmm ::)

First thank you all for your interesting comments.Positive or negative!

So my opinion:
I just began to film this video because it was fun for ME to make.I had it for a long time on my computer and thought"I can't uploud it because it isn't finished yet.But then I felt like I'll probably never complete the video.So why not sharing it with you?Maybe YOU have fun while watching it...

@thoum:
At first...if you only want to see very innovative videos don't watch my videos and wait for a new Votw or buy a puzzle which is so big that you won't finish it in your whole lifetime(that was a joke).
No I want to see new tricks too but I like old tricks clean and executed with a nice style or face or whatever.And they remind me of practicing them sometimes :)
I like to see nice backgrounds and filming in videos.In my videos and in other peoples' videos.Thats why I showed the fan trick by clement or whoever.Not because the trick is new or extremly hard but because I just din't have it on tape and a fan thing looked the best together with woody background and the leaves.

I like the thread too ;D

JC

• Donator
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2008, 10:03:32 PM »
don´t worry, be happy,
I always enjoy your shows and videos,
that´s all.
www.diabolonet.de - email to: diabolo-kits@web.de
MONOBOLOS, Henrys Circus, Vision and MB Finesse with round shaped axles

Alex!

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2008, 10:25:31 PM »
don´t worry, be happy,
I always enjoy your shows and videos,
that´s all.
Yeah! One lives only once so why fill it with criticism!

See what I did there... :P
STOP! HAMMER 'TIJN

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2008, 03:36:50 PM »
Well some of the tricks are easy (like the genocide part) but some, like the last one looked to me, surely aren´t THAT easy. Nice little vid and short enough to load quickly on a portable connection. Thanks for that. Liked the music too. You planning on filming something longer soon?

noel

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2008, 08:21:41 AM »
video!video!video!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal