Author Topic: 2 diabolo mini-genocide  (Read 14020 times)

Sean

• Administrator
2 diabolo mini-genocide
« on: November 11, 2004, 03:17:58 PM »
Quote from: norbi in the "Introduce yourself" thread
10. What is the most amazing diabolo trick you've ever seen done? 2 diabolo mini-genocide, keeping that unseen till WJF

Hey Norbi, great to see you on the forum. I took this quote from the intro section. Thought I'd reply here so as not to clutter up that thread.

I hope your 2 diabolo mini-genocide discovery isn't like the one Diabolumberto does in his video "Diab in the Wind" is it? It's a great video that can be found at:

http://diabolumberto.free.fr/alone.htm

I mean it would be great to learn that trick (I wish I could do it!)... hopefully you've discovered another version.  :wink:  Can anyone else think of another version of this trick?

Can't wait to meet you at the WJF, you'll have to teach me some one diabolo stuff - my one diabolo skills are pitiful!  :D  Are you competing?

Cheers,
Sean

barnesy

• Administrator
2 diabolo mini-genocide
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004, 03:57:45 PM »
Oooh, nice!  That's not quite like any of the scary genocide type tricks I've seen Norbi trying though.  Sounds like we may have to wait and see, though!

I'll try to explain what I've been trying:

There's a one diabolo trick I remember Matt Hall teaching at one of his BJC workshops.  I'll have to describe it in text:  It starts with an unwrap and recapture on the right hand side.  The diabolo gets thrown straight up from there, the stick is released, you grab the middle of the string, and swing  the right handstick anticlockwise so the string hits the falling diabolo from underneath, the stick wraps around the axle, and is then caught, leaving the diabolo in a backwrap.   I've been trying that with two - I catch a diabolo over the axle on the right hand side, and sticktrap it, try to get the stick in line with the string, then go for the release.  The other diabolo gets isolated on the left hand side throughout.  It's one of those tricks I've kind of had working, but not properly or reliably.  :)

Actually, now I look at diabolumberto's video again, he's doing something sort of along those lines, but bigger, slower and better.

Another one I've been trying is related to this trick: http://www.2diabolo.net/media/anotherhandtrapsuicide.avi - if I do the release clockwise instead of anti-clockwise, the diabolo leaves the string nicely and can be made to pop straight up.  It's easy to catch it by continuing the swing, but I've not worked out how to sort the resulting mess out yet!  I kind of need to reverse the direction the stick is moving in.

I'll add those to the list of things to have another go at when I get home.  This place has got me excited about diabolo again, it seems!

Sean

• Administrator
2 diabolo mini-genocide
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2004, 04:08:45 PM »
Quote from: barnesy
There's a one diabolo trick I remember Matt Hall teaching at one of his BJC workshops.  I'll have to describe it in text:... [description follows]

That sounds exactly like a one diabolo mini-genocide to me. There's a cool variation where you combine a slowcide with a mini-genocide. Antonin will often throw it into long sections of improvised 1 diabolo sequences - he does it so well and so quickly that it's hard to tell what's even happening. Arjan taught me that trick via online video... maybe we can get him to do a tutorial on it?

barnesy

• Administrator
2 diabolo mini-genocide
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2004, 04:44:48 PM »
Yeah, I think Matt linked it together with a slowcide in his workshop.  My attention span didn't make it past the mini genocide though, I really like it.

More info on that kind of trick would definitely be useful for me.  I'm trying to use it for tricks with two, even though I'm not really good eough at that sort of thing with one yet.  Glad to hear it is called a mini genocide - I'm useless at trick names!

norbi

• VotW Contributor
2 diabolo mini-genocide
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2004, 09:55:35 PM »
I thought the question asked what the best u had ever done yourself. I quickly changed it to 3 diab suicide. The 2 diab mini geno i am talking about is a trick i created a little while back but cant do it much becuase of a  grinding problem that messes up one of the diabolos, maybe some new-skool sticks would be better instead of my bits of dowel. I decided not to keep it till Vegas, i'm gunna post a video of some new stuff soon, 1 and 2 stuff (maybe even 3!)* It will include silly stuff, better stuff, stupid stuff, 2diabminigeno (ooooooh) I havnt watched that vid you posted cos i'm still downloading the chinese birds. I'll post that vid soon though.

*probly not 3

Arjan

2 diabolo mini-genocide
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2004, 11:37:17 PM »
A 2 diab genocide is nice!! Can`t do that jet

@ Sean:

Yeah I could do a tutorial for that kind of thing (slowi/genocide combo)
But we have to start another good poll to see what we all want to see.

kragen

2 diabolo mini-genocide
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2004, 11:53:24 PM »
Does anyone know where some guides for the one diabolo genocides / genocide related tricks are?

I've looked around but I cant find anything, there are a couple of mightily impressive looking video's around, but no guides.

I really want to have a go at learning after seeing Norbi's vid's they look awesome!
Justin
Gravity Vomit - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.

Matt

• VotW Contributor
2 diabolo mini-genocide
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2004, 01:24:12 AM »
I'm going to be teaching a workshop on genocides and such at WJF.  Much of it will be review for people like Norbi and Sean, but add in the workshop the MFP will be doing and I suspect there is going to be a LOT of mini-genocide/genocide material covered!  I can't wait!
Many Thanks to Sean for all his work and inspiration.  Respect to the MFP!

Matt

• VotW Contributor
2 diabolo mini-genocide
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2004, 07:49:42 AM »
Oh, yeah, one more thing.  

Could anyone tell me how to slow down the video on .wmv files?  I'm using a Mac and I can't learn anything from the .wmv files because I can't slow them down.  Most frustrating.  

Diabolumberto's video is just begging to be played a thousand times in slow motion!

Help!
Many Thanks to Sean for all his work and inspiration.  Respect to the MFP!

barnesy

• Administrator
2 diabolo mini-genocide
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2004, 08:15:35 AM »
Have you tried Videolan? http://www.videolan.org/vlc/.  It has  a button to slow playback down which seems to do the job nicely.  I think it only supports WMV 1&2 though - I've not seen anything on mac or linux that plays WMV3 yet.  This is why I like mpeg so much - you always know it's going to work on anything!

norbi

• VotW Contributor
2 diabolo mini-genocide
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2004, 10:18:14 AM »
Heya Matt, nice to see you on here. I dont think us mac users can do such a thing, yeh it sucks i know. Good old quicktime files are the way forward (or mpg, they mostly work on QT aswell)

see ya there.

norbi

• VotW Contributor
2 diabolo mini-genocide
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2004, 10:26:56 PM »
Well anyone watching this thread in hope of a video link....

not yet, lol. Wait for video of the week next week, hope y'all enjoy.

MattF

2 diabolo mini-genocide
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2004, 04:06:00 PM »
Matt to slow down videos you could also use Adobe Premiere. Its also good for adding music to videos as well as video editing.

Matt Pang

• VotW Contributor
2 diabolo mini-genocide
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2004, 11:28:50 PM »
I'm lucky enough to have seen Norbi's 2 diab mini-genocide first hand....its Amazing!

norbi

• VotW Contributor
2 diabolo mini-genocide
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2004, 12:25:28 AM »
Yes, but u havnt seen my latest creations.
oh u just wait...

Matt Pang

• VotW Contributor
2 diabolo mini-genocide
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2004, 09:58:29 AM »
Ooooh...can't wait till tomorrow to see them! See ya then!

p.s (got no cred btw)

norbi

• VotW Contributor
2 diabolo mini-genocide
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2004, 01:34:25 PM »
haha, very nice. You knew that i would check the forum for recent posts, so u replied here instead of on my phone. Genious, well i will only be able to show you a couple of them indoors, one is an idea for a 2 diab full geno (which WILL work, even if i have to use carbons and wide axles)

Catch ya 2moro

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal