Author Topic: MP3 Freeware mixing program.  (Read 6504 times)

Diabolo88

• Donator
MP3 Freeware mixing program.
« on: June 04, 2008, 03:44:54 PM »
So, I´m trying to put my first "real" act together and I want to use a couple of songs on my computer for it.
I´m looking for a good freeware program for mixing mp3. Preferably it should be easy to use.

It should have functions like cutting/editing one song into another, fading into another song (I don´t know what those functions are called though) and speeding up/slowing down the songs.

Eventually I´d like to also be able to use the songs in videos (though I´m far from that point yet because I don´t even know how to edit)

Anyone know of a good (free) program and where to get it? Thanks for all help!

Ben.

• VotW Contributor
Re: MP3 Freeware mixing program.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 04:19:22 PM »
for mac i use garage band but since you are probably on a pc i would try and download audacity from somewhere. it isnt great but for what you specified it would do the job.

Monregi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 05:32:13 PM »
Try this off-line mixing programs..ProTools or Cubase, also sony soundforge would do the work but it´s not multitrack sound editor.
Good luck

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 05:37:34 PM »
Thank you so much for the replies. I´ll be looking at all of them.

Hathaway

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 06:32:48 PM »
Try this off-line mixing programs..ProTools or Cubase, also sony soundforge would do the work but it´s not multitrack sound editor.
Good luck

For those law abiding citizens on this forum those programs may be far too costly! Ben is quite correct in saying 'Audacity', its free takes up absolutley no space on your hard drive and is very versatile in the effects area if you have any! It is in fact perfect for cutting songs like you say. If how ever you want to beat match the song then there is some free DJ software called Kramixer, although that can start to get a tad complex.

Marijn

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 06:43:48 PM »
Good luck

I am not sure, but I think my father has Cubase and it wasn't exactly cheap to get it... :-\
''I have been practising some basic 2d suicide stuff to widen my arse''

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 08:42:27 PM »
(As has been mentioned...) Audacity! It will do everything you've mentioned and much more. It's free, cross-platform compatible, relatively easy to use, and very lightweight.

Mind you, I've always done audio mixing for videos right in a video editing program. For basic manipulations like you mentioned, almost any decent video editing program (that probably doesn't include Windows Movie Maker, but it's not really decent now is it?) is capable.

When I've mixed audio for other purposes, Audacity has does done the job nicely.

spinnin pig

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 10:21:42 PM »
for the video editing as sean said just download the free trial of sony vegas then delete it then download it again
works like a charm
 ;D ;D
tricks im happy with
2d stuff
grinds
sticktrap
sticktrap double release
sprinkler/sprinkler suicide

Ben.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 10:53:31 PM »
or just get logic pro. it is really cheap  ;)

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 11:00:33 PM »
for the video editing as sean said just download the free trial of sony vegas then delete it then download it again
Wait a second... I didn't say that!

If you're looking for decent, reasonably priced, and legal (!) video editing software, the 'home' versions e.g. Premiere Elements or Final Cut Express (and Vegas probably has something similar?) are very close to their full siblings at a fraction of the cost - especially if you have student pricing.

If you're on a mac, iMovie isn't half bad actually and included with your computer. But, um we were talking about audio software, no?

MOONSHEILD

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 04:12:38 AM »
http://www.virtualdj.com/

they have a trial version this is good software for mixing music together but i dont know how much the trial version can do but id agree most of the video edditing packages sean said should do the trick i used Elements in one of my modules this year as addobe after effects just was making things to complicated.
!!!!!!!!!!!Will diabolo for food!!!!!!!!!!!

I bought a diabolo with the last of my cash.

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 11:33:49 AM »
I'm going to sing the praises of Audacity again.  It's not fancy or anything, but it is free and quite functional.

Songs that you want to patch together are inserted into the project file as seperate tracks that you can move about, crop, delete and add effects too.  It's not difficult to use, but a sense of rhythm is always handy when splicing samples together.  The more you zoom in on the sound file, the smaller your time shifts are, so if you need to really fine tune something, just zoom in and nudge to get it **** on.

And if you download the Lame MP3 encoder add-on, it will export files into MP3 format for you.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal