Author Topic: Filming with model aircrafts?  (Read 6317 times)

Diabolo88

• Donator
Filming with model aircrafts?
« on: June 04, 2008, 05:36:43 PM »
OK, I don´t know where this question would fit so I´m making a new thread. If it´s already been discussed somewhere or is better suited someplace else I´m sorry.

I am wondering if anyone has ever filmed something using a model helicopter or similar? I´m thinking it would be really cool to mount a camera on the front of one and film some tricks and patterns while in flight. Coolest would be flying it through maybe a 3D high or following one diabolo in a pattern from the ground up and then down again (might take some slick piloting though). Or maybe just general filming from the sky.

Has anyone tried it before? If so, how did it turn out? Did you have to use a special camera or just a normal one worked?

Was also thinking it would be cool if someone was doing diabolo near a building and you just dropped a camera down using a weight to keep it steady and a homemade "parachute" to keep it slow. A 3rd person could catch it (though maybe that wouldn´t look so cool if you broke the camera :P)

mofro

• Donator
Re: Filming with model aircrafts?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 07:24:06 PM »
sounds a little sketchy if you ask me.... 
**** fixed and bring on the slack!

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 07:28:30 PM »
Yes I know it does. I saw one of those models yesterday and it´s just something that´s been in my head since then (haven´t been able to shake it). If you could get a very small camera (like one of those "spykits" on TV) it maybe would be easier to film with?

tomangleberger

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 08:10:17 PM »
Brilliant idea. Wish I'd thought of it first...

How about a kitecam? I spent a lot of time messing about with kitecams a while back. Using a modern lightweight digital camcorder should be much easier.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKGupz_9mGc

I'm surprised Dave P. hasn't done something like this...

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 08:27:49 PM »
It'd be mighty impressive if you could pull it off with any of these things. I think the main issue would be stability of the camera. After all, it is connected to a motor of some kind. I can't really comment from experience though, common sense just says it might be little tricky.

-Leo
Behind your back is your front.

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 11:33:23 PM »
Actually we almost filmed some stuff with a boom or crane attached to camera.
We didn't have a dolly or anything like professional filming equipment (which
would by the way be just plain awesome). Instead we just taped videocamera
to a small crane and filmed from up. We wanted to film with over 5 meters
long crane, which we had. But our filming schedule was really tight and we had
the filming crew and cameras for only 5 days. With the long crane you could have
had really nice shots, too bad we didn't have time for that.

The whole project was 2002 when we were making our diabolo dvd, which was
released just less than a month after the diabology. Which was pretty inconvenient
since diabology was so much better. Not down playing our product, diabology just
had just a little more.

Anyway, if you had a dolly for a day i think you could do wonders with that. Actually,
i might just go and talk with some filming students and ask if they were interested
in little filming... Also the kite thing seems pretty interesting. Somehow i might rely
more on the kite than to a helicopter. Seen some of those small flying things drop
down and break badly. And with a camera it begins to sound more exciting.

Biggest problems with booms seemed to be the time. It takes really long time to set
up everything, compared to just regular home video style filming. And when you get
everything working, it's much harder to get good shots because the camera is way
up there and you're down there. Some kind of monitor down on the ground would help
to get the shot right, since you can't see the screen on the camera.
«Diabolo, whiter than the whitest!»

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 01:01:10 AM »
I have no idea about any of the technical stuff, just saw a big modelhelicopter on a field (I don´t think something like that could break easily actually, but it was a big model so probably fairly expensive too).

That kitecam seems really good (didn´t even know such a thing existed). Maybe driving a kite steady through pattern would be difficult (I have no idea never kited)? But for just filming from flight that looks awesome (and probably much slower/steadier than a motorized helicopter/plane would be as well).
I wanted to see the whole "driving through the pattern" thing so bad but yeah, maybe people don´t want to risk whatever one of those models cost for 10 secs of film.

However when you talk about cranes that sounds like a good idea too. Maybe you could just set up a string between a tree and the ground(like a hang-glide), do 3D high over the string and then just send a camera through from one side to another in a sling? That way you wouldn´t be risking so much at least.

@tomangleberger

Any chance you could try and film some diabolo with that kite to see how it looks please? Where do you get a kite and camera like that btw (I want one now ;))?

Jesse

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 01:35:30 AM »
Not really the same thing, but a person I know works in downtown Vancouver and her office is situated quite high in that skyscraper. There's a tennis court on the roof of a smaller building that can be seen from the office. It could be possible that I'd diabolo on the roof while someone filmed me at the office.

Dan

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 03:16:20 AM »
Cool idea  :) always great to have some extreme angles in a diabolo video (any video for that matter).  The problem with that kite idea is that there would need to be wind.  Making for some very tricky 2/3 high filming and possibly low tricks aswell.  I hate wind!

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2008, 03:44:48 AM »
Me and my friend did something like this (Not filming anything in particular though) about a year back.
We used some little camera that broadcasted to a receiver.

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2008, 04:17:31 AM »
I was thinking about getting some of those "Spy Glasses" the sun glasses with the camera in them for some POV shots for tutorials and such.
Diabolo Acquired - Thurday, 2/08/07
Vertax Skill Acquired - Thursday, 4/12/07
2 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Tuesday, 5/29/07
3 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Eh, No?

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 10:57:13 PM »
I was thinking about getting some of those "Spy Glasses" the sun glasses with the camera in them for some POV shots for tutorials and such.

Spy Glasses? Haha that would be awesome! But ain't they really expensive?

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 11:53:31 AM »
There's a programme in the UK on Channel 5 called The Gadget Show and they did a feature on recording your own action scenes with equipment and "stuff" you can buy such as small camcorders for the weird and wonderful shots (you can see the feature HERE)

The camera I think you'll find the most interesting is the Oregon Scientific ATC2K which is a tiny tube camera that records straight onto SD card and you could put it on vehicles (maybe not a helicopter), up a tree, in small confined spaces etc.

And then there's this fellow from whom you can buy a helicopter with a camera attached HERE for quite cheaply it seems.

As for people with hopes of spy glasses with cameras in, you can build you own with instructions from Instructables.com.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal