Author Topic: The next step? (advancing after first tricks)  (Read 34940 times)

Purplegirl

The next step? (advancing after first tricks)
« on: April 03, 2005, 07:35:26 PM »
Hi everyone,

I just couldn't resist the Diabology DVD and watched it in total awe!!!
I'm a member of a local juggling club but unfortunately there are not many there who diabolo and those that do can do no more tricks than myself already so I'm kinda stuck as to where to go from here...

I have 4 diabolo's, the Finesse G2 (my fav!), Henry's Jazz, a mini Henry's Viper one and MB Medium harlequin. Just got the MB carbon fibre sticks and they are awesome :)

So, what can I do so far... not a lot really.

I can whip some speed up, of a fashion, throws (with associated catches ;) ), over the leg (both legs), simple orbit and wrapped orbit, suns, RTW stopover and then loose stick and catch it as it comes back around, climb the string, stick grinds (both hands and tossed from one to another)... that's about it really.

Just wondered if anyone had any idea's of what to try next that's around that level... recommend a trick? book? anything? :)
I've been having a look at the sites that are posted in and around these forums and my jaw hits the floor at pretty much all of it!

Anyway :) new around here and wanted to say Hi :)

Thanks

Leanne

Martijn

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2005, 08:19:10 PM »
Watch the Diabology DVD and learn from it! :wink:

Arjan

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2005, 10:02:35 PM »
Learn whatever trick inspires you! I think you have the basics already. Well what is concerned as basics.

Purplegirl

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2005, 11:46:23 PM »
I think that Diabology is way beyond me at the minute... but I just noticed that the RTW trick I was doing is actually a right trapeze and I was also doing a Chinese suicide too - wow... didn't realise that :)

Hoop

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 04:31:38 AM »
Hi, It looks like you are at about the same level as me.  :)   I am waiting for the Diabology DVD to come to the US.  I am also trying to learn 2 diabolos now.  Have you done around the arm orbits?  Also try the flux capacitor trick on www.diabolotricks.com.  That is a cool looking trick that is about our level. :)  Cat's cradle and coffee grinder are fun too.  If you want to practice passing diabolos with me, just tell me when.  I'll stand on the beach here, and you stand on your beach and we'll throw them back and forth to each other!

lemony

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 11:34:26 AM »
as Hoop said, www.diabolotricks.com is very useful to work through as is www.thediabolo.com

once you've got a good grasp of the fundamentals, start looking at some videos, diabology may be too advance for now but there are plenty of vids out there which may be more realistic. i found http://www.firetoys.co.uk/diabolotricks.htm quite handy when i started and i still can't do all of it now
The diabolo wiki please contribute in any way you can.

Spink

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2005, 01:29:49 PM »
I found arm orbit tricks helped me push forward when i when i was stuck in a rutt, plus all the tricks can be translated to your leg.

If you want any specific help just start a thread or pm me. :)  :idea:
3rd Base + Hubstacks =

chak1984

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2005, 04:41:08 PM »
:lol: hi~

When i first started i learnt a lot here~

http://www.diabolotricks.com/

You can also try this one

http://www.diarhythm.com/e/index.html

you can aim at one or two "advanced tricks" here~

It is fun to try something difficult,although you may not make it~ :wink:

Purplegirl

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2005, 05:19:02 PM »
Thank you all :) there are some awesome tricks on those sites

Arjan

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2005, 05:35:55 PM »
Do whatever trick you want to do, maybe that trick is listed as hard, but maybe not for you.

Matt Pang

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2005, 11:07:42 PM »
Can i recommend the donald grant books, there are 5 in total i think, each one concentrating on different elemenst, e.g "Stick Grinds and Suicides" "Baffling Body moves and crazy Cradles" they were my source of tricks for a very long time when i started, and they are just wicked! You should be able to get them from butterfingers www.butterfingers.co.uk

Hope it helps!

Matt

wes

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2005, 05:54:44 AM »
about diabolo tricks, have you seen this topic on this forum? http://Diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=2&start=0 Even though you can't read other languages, you can see some videos on their website. I also knew the website and learned many tricks from here! :D

Purplegirl

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2005, 02:48:54 PM »
Ah... I just managed to get 4 of the Donald Grant books off Ebay :) (all except "Two hot to handle") and that's going to be a great help...

It's great having a few tricks to try in book form as I can do them easily outside without having to run in to see the computer every few minutes ;)

Thank you all for your help :)

Hoop

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2005, 05:22:25 PM »
Hi again Purplegirl, I was wondering how you have progressed in this last month?  What are some of the new tricks you are working on now, and how did you like the DG books?

Spink

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2005, 01:27:16 PM »
Hi purple girl

How are you getting on with those inverse trapese i showed you at the brum convention?? :)
3rd Base + Hubstacks =

Purplegirl

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2005, 09:51:01 AM »
Hi guys...

Well, Spink, those inverse trapese releases are as sweet as on my right side... but trying them on the left and the diab goes a flyin' into the ground! :lol:

Repertoire of tricks now: (making this thread seem like a running update - new ones in bold)

Half Sun (overarm stall) both sides, trapeze (L and R, double, triple, alternating),  Side Sun (both sides not all directions), string climb, trapeze grind, chinese suicide (double, triple) but not successful on left yet, speed whips, wrapped orbit thrusts, chinese power thrusts (not always successful), cats cradle, tigers cradle, inverse trapeze (right only), redone trapeze, grinds in various ways, x grind, basic whip catch (50/50), loop and hook with whip catch, suicide attempt, slowcide, spaghetti, chinese knot, around the right arm orbits, orbits around both legs (but not alternating yet), fritz release (both sides) *my favourite*, single fritz relase, alternating fritz release, macaroni, macaroni and cheese (not always successful), wet noodle, the double double, nice smooth throw start and working on the fritz start too.

Not bad for a months worth of work I think :D

The DG books have been great as my PC is not portable so the trick websites can't be taken around with me... have been throwing myself into learning new tricks from the books when at the club and off the websites when at home. got a lot of tricks running smooth on my right side now but still looking weak on the left. trying to get some sort of combo going is still a challenge and I'd really love to be able to do those flowing combo'd suns and stuff that Jibe manages so effortlessly :?

Hoop

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2005, 02:02:34 PM »
Very impressive!  I'm glad you're having so much success.  I was kind of hoping for a running update, it's very inspiring to read about someone starting from the beginning and moving along.  If you like the fritz release, you have to try the minetti whip, you'll love it.  It's so much fun and looks cool too!  It's on diabolotricks.com.  

You're right, Jibe's sun combos do look very nice and as a matter of fact, that is one of the first things I want to work on from the Diabology DVD.  I just watched it last night, so I couldn't play yet!   :D   Good luck to you!

seán_

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2005, 03:00:58 PM »
looks like your having a productive time Purplegirl.
The combos will come just build them up bit by bit. Suns into and out of moves are probably a good place to start you can then use the suns as bridges between moves (and also to keep the diabolo spinning).

Purplegirl

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2005, 12:27:54 AM »
Thanks guys :)

Purplegirl

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2005, 11:46:34 PM »
Hmmm... seem to be stuck in a bit of a rut at the moment and looking for inspiration. Would be much easier if more people diab'd at my club.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal