Author Topic: The next step? (advancing after first tricks)  (Read 37102 times)

Spink

The next step? (advancing after first tricks)
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2005, 12:53:13 PM »
Quote from: QUOTH
cant disagree with that will. i think ive gotta stop looking for new tricks and smooth out what i know ;)

Learn full and Mini-G's if you dont have them. (mini first)

I found i gained alot more sring control from the minis and better spacial awareness from full ones. :)
3rd Base + Hubstacks =

QUOTH

« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2005, 12:57:37 PM »
mini genocides? not exactly shure what they are. ill have a broswe around the site.

right now am trying behind the back orbits :)

argh, cant get infintie suicides

*jumps to the "infinite suicides thread"*
If you see me please feel free to come over and give me some advice. Thanks in advance.

I use red and black circus's, wear to much black and will be at the BJC.

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2005, 01:00:58 PM »
Quote from: QUOTH
mini genocides? not exactly shure what they are. ill have a broswe around the site.

In case you've not spotted it, the easiest place to look is this thread: http://www.diabolo.ca/forum/index.php?topic=149 - it's getting pretty big now, but is often the best place to have a look through before using the forum search.

Twilite

« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2005, 11:47:38 PM »
Missed this thread first time round, but seems to be what I was looking for.

When I started reading the thread, I thought I was at a similar level to Purplegirl, by the end, she was miles ahead! Need to keep up!

I got the basics, then got stuck for new things to try and stopped diaboloing as much due to lack of inspiration. Was looking at buying a teaching aid, and have two things in mind; the five mini books things, or Diabology.

Which would you recommend for an amateur like myself? Diabology looks amazing, and I know it has a teaching section, but it sounds like it's above me? Maybe I should wait?

How did you find the books Purplegirl? Worth getting?
Thanks.
Curiosity may have killed a whole cat, but Schrodinger only killed half...

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2005, 10:46:14 AM »
I think Donald Grant's books are pretty amazing for the budding diabolist to move up in the world.  It covers most of the basic things needed to be proficient and how it all should work.  It then moves onto 2 which might be where lots of people want to be (kinda like starting juggling and wanting to be a numbers juggler) but alot of people are finding really good styles with just one (like a numbers juggler who thought 3ball tricks were cooler).  Diabology would be a good thing to move onto in my opinion though I've not seen the whole thing.

Chiok
(apologies for all the juggler examples)
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Twilite

« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2005, 10:28:39 PM »
Sorry to keep on, I will buy something eventually I promise! To get me out of my current progress and enthusiasm rut, what do you suggest I indulge in first. I've got some disposable income so money isn't really the issue. But what shall I get first out of the things below do you think?
At present I'm using a Henry's Jazz with cheap wooden sticks.

Diabology - Thought the tutorial section may help, but could be out of my range?
Donald Grant's books - For new things, but might be more usable with better kit.
Second Jazz - For 2D, not sure it's worth having two Jazzes though?
Alu Sticks - Better than wooden, but do I need them at my level?
Circus/Finesse/Other new diabolo - Make it easier to progress.

Want all, probably will get all over the course of the summer, just wondering what would be most beneficial to begin with? I often try and rescue failing enthusiasm by pumping more money into the hobby! Not always the most efficient method, but I feel this is worth it!
Thanks.
Curiosity may have killed a whole cat, but Schrodinger only killed half...

Purplegirl

« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2005, 10:59:48 PM »
The books would certainly boost your enthusiasm for trying new stuff and it's handy that they are more portable than a computer screen ;)

I scouted around and found the Donald Grant books on Ebay... bargain :)

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2005, 01:19:01 AM »
Twilite, definitely get Diabology. none of the tricks are out of range for anyone. in fact, it will increase your range. it goes from simple things like suicides, satellites, and suns to genocides, S fans, and 3 high and low. not to mention the freestyle part is amazing  :shock:

if you're going to buy a new diabolo, buy a Finesse or a Circus. dont get a Jazz. you'll be surprised at how much easier it is to learn on a finesse or a circus as compared to the Jazz. and there's nothing wrong with wooden sticks. alum/carbon sticks are better, yeah, but really wooden sticks will serve you well. if you want to upgrade though, henry's alum sticks are like 17 bucks, a good deal if you ask me.

keep in mind however, if you get alum/carbon sticks and a Circus, you're gonna need to get the plastic hubs, else you'll tear those crappy metal hubs up in no time.

Vojtas

« Reply #48 on: July 03, 2005, 09:05:12 AM »
Quote from: Matt_
keep in mind however, if you get alum/carbon sticks and a Circus, you're gonna need to get the plastic hubs, else you'll tear those crappy metal hubs up in no time.

That's RIGHT! Man just look at my metal hubs...  :D
What if the prophecy is true? What if tomorrow the war could be over? Isn't that worth fighting for? Isn't that worth dying for?
-Morpheus

Purplegirl

« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2005, 12:04:37 AM »
Hi guys...

Long time no see :)

I've been either incredibly busy or too ill to diabolo lately so it's good to be back...

I have a wonderful opportunity this Sunday at an invite only charity event with a crowd of around 10000 people ;)

I've been asked to front for my juggling club in providing a workshop there :) should be really cool... but there is also the possibility I may have to do a display too - eeeek! :)

Anyhow, just wanted to say hi and that I am still around and playing with my string :)

seán_

« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2005, 01:28:37 AM »
just remember the sunglasses this time ;)

Glad to hear you are still about, I was thinking about you today because a friend of mine who I taught to diabolo came up from Birmingham, She has let her diaboling slip recently and I was telling her that the midlands had a scene she could tap into.

Good luck at the event, remember that for most people anything you do with a diabolo is impressive. (thats what got me through todays performance anyway ;) )

Purplegirl

« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2005, 11:33:49 PM »
Haven't been around the forum for a while - have been a little ill sadly, and hadn't really picked up the diab for a while either... until a week or so ago... coming on nicely now and I have managed to get 2d on the go with a throw start :) whoooo... can only manage a couple of loops before I lose it but it's a start! :)

My 1d stuff is also coming along nicely and looking a lot smoother :)

Looking forward to the Leeds conv if I can make it :)

ScottMcG

What next...
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2005, 08:43:42 PM »
i was sure there was already a topic named this...but i couldn't find it so here...

im fairly new to diaboling, only been doing it for bout 2 weeks and im wondering what tricks you good people think i should go for next...
right now the best things i can do are infinite suicides and mini genocides
ive been wanting to try 2 diabolo but i cant fid my second one...which is pissing me off.

anyway any idea are apreciated..

Scott

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #53 on: September 22, 2005, 08:50:46 PM »
Behind your back is your front.

Sharpes

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #54 on: September 22, 2005, 09:20:31 PM »
damn, both of those in two weeks?! that's mind blowing
Jacob and Nate Sharpe

ScottMcG

« Reply #55 on: September 22, 2005, 09:25:06 PM »
is it??
im working on proper genocides, but theres not much chance to practice seen as ive got low ceilings and its crappy weather
im trying to think of some mini genocide variations for now..

Shawn Fumo

« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2005, 03:59:44 AM »
I remember hearing a story of when Bandai started their yo-yo team in Japan. They brought in a bunch of talented American players to perform their hardest tricks. Then they told the kids "those are the basics", and of course the kids learned them and became amazing..

Sometimes it is better not to know how hard stuff is, because it might not actually be that bad for you. :)   It is important to have a good foundation, but don't be put off trying something just because it is supposed to be hard. For instance body moves use some different skills from something like infinite suicide or genocides.

Also, it can be hard for veteran players to get a total perspective. If you are a very competent player and then someone invents a new kind of trick, it can be like starting from scratch and seem really hard compared to tricks that are now "old hat". But for someone really starting from scratch, it may be the new trick is on par with other tricks they're learning.

Shawn

Purplegirl

« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2005, 09:48:27 AM »
I seem to have reached a plateau on learning new 1d tricks but the ones I do are looking very smooth now and I am coming up with some new and wicked combos :) oh... and I am working on the 2d shuffle ;)

Purplegirl

« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2006, 10:38:56 PM »
I'm back again after a long absense...

What's new? Well... still struggling with the 2d shuffle but I have managed some nice new 1d stuffs :) inc duicide, orbits over both arms and one leg+shoulder :) not many new tricks but things are looking very smooth... so much so that a number of people, in the trade, have suggested I get myself a routine and pimp my diabolo services for corporate events and stuff *gulp*... :)

Hoop

« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2006, 03:03:43 AM »
Welcome back...  It seems that we are still on par with one another.   I managed to get the shuffle down about 5-6 months ago, or maybe more.  I'm still working on 2D tricks though.  I haven't made much progress lately, it's too cold.  Glad to see you are still with us!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal