Author Topic: What appear to be led handsticks  (Read 6180 times)

Paul

What appear to be led handsticks
« on: April 07, 2005, 05:50:34 PM »
I was browsing through diabolumberto's website when I came across some Jako videos. In the third video about halfway through he has these crazy hansticks that are lit up. Has anyone seen these before? the link to the video's is here  

http://diabolumberto.free.fr/jako.htm
Peace

Rusty

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005, 06:53:26 AM »
The sticks are great! I really liked the sprinkler exit where he lets go of both at the same time, the light sticks works very well here.

Rusty, Norway

DrRobotnik

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005, 11:07:00 PM »
I made my own handsticks with an ultra bright LED's in the end but proving my inexperence i used thin copper pipe and ended up twatting myself in the head after lossing control of a suicide. This thread brings back painful memories  :cry:  They did look good before i lost me nerve using them tho.

I'm in ther process of making a pair form aluminium pipe and will post vid of them in use if people are interested.

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2005, 11:12:39 PM »
Which end did you put them in?  The business end or the handle end, and where did you keep the batteries?  

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

DrRobotnik

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2005, 11:59:33 PM »
I did a little pic i did in  mspaint to explain. The sticks are nothing fancy just got bored one day.

lemony

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2005, 01:21:49 AM »
very nice idea... i'd imagine it would be reasonably easy to mount another led at the other end of the stick? that would surely make for some impressive looking genocides
The diabolo wiki please contribute in any way you can.

DrRobotnik

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2005, 01:24:44 AM »
Yeah just what i was thinking after fireblades post.....i'll get it in the aluminium version but will still be as crude as ever :P

lemony

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2005, 01:59:16 AM »
could you use something like heatshrink tubing to cover the join? that would be cleaner+smaller... not sure how stong it would be though i suppose

edit: i've added a bit to the wikipedia diabolo entry here ifanyone feels like checking it, ammending it or improving my rather average english.

DrRobotnik

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2005, 02:23:48 AM »
The 'thing' i made wont take any punishment. The same stick hit the ground 3 times and stoped working. At that point i had to cut out the tape to get the batteries out and sort the wires out. I enjoyed it coz it worked but its a realy rushed job. It was a hell of alot of fun to waste a day on.

I'm now using pluming solder to link a battery pack made out of a perfectly sized (but dangerously heavy) steel front forks from a motorbike (it was mine after a crash) to the shaft of the stick. The trouble comes threading the wires through a small hole in the top and around the outside. i also want to add a thread to the end of the battery pack but that means providing enough wire to be able to turn but will get rid of the sticky tape. BTW  the sticks are going to be longer so they balance.

I think its time for a re-design :shock:

Any ideas are much welcome

[edit] muchos drunkos, if that makes no sense ignor it please  :?

lemony

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2005, 03:14:45 AM »
i'm also a bit drunk and my technology skills were always limited so this mightn't be sensible but...

The rubber washers it's mounted with should give a little bit of heavy shock absorbtion for the electronics then pad them out with some scraps of foam, your cork etc... to absorb smaller knocks. Wrap the end tube in tennis racket grip to stop it hurting as much if you crack yourself with it.

There's probably a better way to attatch the bit with the switch as well but i can't really think of one at this time of night.

The thick bit at the end need only be an inch and half long or so... meaning that the added weight shouldn't be too much of an issue.

anyhow, just an idea... i'm sure someone has a better one.

DrRobotnik

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2005, 03:53:57 AM »
very nice :D
I sunk LED2 mostly into the shaft to stop the diabolo snapping the connections. Oh one thing which iseems an obvious thing we've missed, we might aswell put a large hole at the top of the stick for the string and a small one  at the bottom so the knot ends up in the shaft (like henrys light wooden sticks).  BTW sticky tape (not to mention blue tac) does kick ass :P........i'm going to try to put plastic through a metal leathe tomorrow.....god i dont know lol.  

Expect slowness tomorrow, i'm pissed:P

Arjan

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2005, 01:55:43 PM »
To bring up a old topic:

Did someone had any progress on making some kewl light sticks?

I have the following idea:

Using the see through babache sticks (the new ones).
If you would put a very strong LED on the end, near the handle, pointing to it, the stick glows a little bit, and where the cap used to be there is a lot of light coming out of it.

Is there anyone who thinks he`s able to make this theorie work good in practical?

Paul

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2005, 03:35:24 PM »
I thought about that but I have not yet had a pair of these sticks in my hand to examine them properly. I shall be buying some soon and I'll have a go. The new finese light kits a really good but obviously its a shame you cant see the sticks, plus suicides would look really cool if the sticks were lit as well as the diabolo's!
Peace

Arjan

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2005, 03:53:34 PM »
Yes a whole lot of possebileties without setting up a UV performance, with the lamps and stuff. Just simple.

looby

• Donator
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2005, 05:09:03 PM »
just a thought but in the UK especially (those of you will know) we have pantomimes at various locations all over the uk normally at christmas. To the point, they always sell flashy/glowy things for the kids to wave around and get bored of after five minutes. One time I went (a long time ago) they had a pretty normal stick version which was lit up along the hole shaft and had a weighted handle where a battery went. I never thought much of them but about 3 weeks ago my friend who drums for a band brought a set (his younger sister got them from disneyland i think-still the same principle) and used them during one of their songs where they worked great! I'm wondering if anyone had thought along the same lines and if so i guess the only modification needed is to drill a small hole in the end to insert some string. Admittedly they wont be amazing and probably bad quality, but still they could work if it was just for a five minute show off in front of friends.
Rennes July 10-17th 2011!

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2005, 10:18:56 PM »
What you speak of do sound familiar now that I think about it.  If you look in pound stores and other cheap tacky places, you can often find sticks of sorts that flash when you push a button.  Though I don't recall seeing any long enough to work well as handsticks.  most are about 10-14mm in diameter and maybe 150mm in length.  But a good source of already wired LEDs and batteries.

Now that it's been brought up again, I'm gonna have another think about it.  I've finalised my handstick design and have begun making some.  Takes a while though, sketchy production techniques.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal