Author Topic: my custom wooden sticks  (Read 3480 times)

Aquaticbeing

my custom wooden sticks
« on: April 11, 2006, 03:42:31 PM »
i have been in this forum for a while now but didn't had the necessity to register, until now. i managed to make myself some wooden sticks with the knot holder configuration of the henrys alu. it was kinda easy to make, so i don't understand why babache, henrys and such keep making those wooden sticks with the side-to-side hole..

i made those because i got tired of waiting at my juggling store for the alus.. one week after i made these they phoned me just to tell that the alus were on their way. portugal sucks eh :lol:

the sticks and the handle are only one piece, the wood is a kind of hardwood (actually it's way more stiff than the regular hardwood used in the sticks i see here in pt). the opening on the side of the stick is obviousely bigger than the hole that leads to the tip of the stick, in order to house the knot inside the wood. the handle is square shaped, the angles are polished and i found this "square shape" to be much more ergonomic than the regular circular shape.

they measure 36.5 cm

tip to the end of the hole - 6 cm

handle - 15.5 cm

sorry for the poor english :oops:

Martijn

my custom wooden sticks
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2006, 03:58:13 PM »
Yeah, I also made my wooden sticks like that a while ago. Here's a pic:

wooftang

my custom wooden sticks
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2006, 05:24:08 PM »
some pretty sweet sticks there

Graham

my custom wooden sticks
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2006, 06:25:51 PM »
Interesting - I've done something similar with a pair of handies before, but the tip broke.
I've been thinking about making my own custom wooden sticks for a whgile now, cause I prefer the feel of wood. I was thinking of taking a bit of beech dowel and threading the end so I could use MB extreme tips with them, and also getting a nice handgrip to go on the end. Haven't got around to it yet though - I can't get hold of any beech dowel around here, nor can I find a place that sells foam handgrips. Guess it'll have to wait...

Chiok

• Donator
my custom wooden sticks
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2006, 07:58:54 PM »
@ phunky:
I wouldn't recommend threading a piece of wood to fit an Xtreme tip because wood just won't hold the thread well enough for the metal to wood thread.  Wood requires a much larger pitch thread.

But the string out the end of wood sticks is a good innovation, not a new one as JiBe has been doing it for a while, as have others (myself included).  Although I had trouble with the hole out of the end as it caused the wood to split from too much force and the fact the hole is across the grain.

I like the square faced handles though, interesting ergonomics.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Graham

my custom wooden sticks
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2006, 10:14:50 PM »
Chiok: Good point. Might be able to thread both ends of a small piece of metal (differently), one to screw into the wood and the other threaded for the extreme tips. Or trim down one of the plastic extreme attachments, but that'd probably break then. Anny other suggestions appreciated :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal