Author Topic: 6-Point Star Cradle  (Read 4007 times)

Aaron Z

6-Point Star Cradle
« on: August 10, 2008, 12:52:58 PM »
[www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-ub9Fd1yKc]
(Enter the URL in your browser to get the new version, video annotations don't work when embedded)

This is my freshly invented 6-point star cradle.
Unfortunately, youtube compressed the heck out of the video, reducing it's overall quality.
I'll remake the video if necessary.

---------------------------------------------------------

TUTORIAL:
(The sooner people learn a new trick, the sooner new tricks can be developed from it, AMIRITE?)

- Throw a C-Whip over the left handstick and under the front cup

- Point both sticks upward

- Use a finger from either hand to take hold of one of the two strings above the one that sits horizontally between your sticks.
  (This makes sense once you go through steps 1-2)

- With either finger holding a the string OPPOSITE to it, pull your fingers back into your grips along with the string.
  (When I say opposite, I mean left hand finger holds the string on the right side.)

------------------------------------------

I hope this makes sense to everyone, as I said- I'll improve the tutorial and video if necessary.

Aaron Z

Re: 6-Point Star Cradle
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 12:57:44 PM »
Oh yeah, forgot to mention.

The trick is MUCH easier to present using a bearing Fly, wide axle.
If not using this diabolo, I'd go with any wide axled diabolo with LOTS, OF, SPIN.

This is a messier attempt at the trick, but I had limited time with the camera available.

Also, if anyone can point me towards some good editing software that I can use to add text instructions to my videos, it'd be much appreciated.

Jem

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 01:14:43 PM »
Can you pop it up and out while maintaining the six points?

Aaron Z

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2008, 01:22:02 PM »
Sadly, the diabolo itself extends the string into the sixth point of the string, so popping it up would make it a 5-point star at most.

And you wouldn't be able to pop it up following these steps anyways, because the axle of the diabolo has several strings interlacing around it.

I don't think it's possible to make a six-point star without the diabolo sitting where it is, because that part of the string needs some weight on it to create the 6th point.

Mebbe... 2 diabolos?   :o

Jem

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2008, 01:54:28 PM »
Yeah I went away and did the move and saw that the interlacing string is a problem. It's just that I don't think a cradle is complete without being able to pop it up and over.

Ah well, let me know when you have the 2d version down  ;)

Robski

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 01:59:57 PM »
I think I saw a 2d version in one of DiaboloBro's videos a while ago, so this is not a trick that you invented.

Squiggle

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 02:58:48 PM »
I think I saw a 2d version in one of DiaboloBro's videos a while ago, so this is not a trick that you invented.

How so? 

Nice trick... too lazy to go and try, but n1.

luabduch

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 03:12:09 PM »
cool..I like it..

you can use the ulead video studio to add text in your videos...
watch my video (brazilian championship) I did it in this video...
it's easy to work with the program....but you need to download the crack or buy the shareware version...

Ethan

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 06:18:30 PM »
im pretty sure that it was a different entry that Al thought of in the movie, so other variations of the 2D star, are still open for discovery
"In a ball and stick model, what do the balls represent?"  -Bio Teacher

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 08:12:03 PM »
why not pop it out and use your finger to hold the 6th point?
Diabolo Acquired - Thurday, 2/08/07
Vertax Skill Acquired - Thursday, 4/12/07
2 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Tuesday, 5/29/07
3 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Eh, No?

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 08:54:44 PM »
I do a star that looks exactly similar to this but it´s made differently (posted it as a "crusadeknot" on youtube but should rename it perhaps since your startposition seems similar too). It´s a cool trick ;). Can yours also be turned into a normal star by grabbing two more strings?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGFOVgjl6J8

^This is my version.

What is the first thing you do when you whip in your trick? Is it a reverse J-whip but you also catch with your sticks somehow? This is the only thing that´s unclear to me but maybe it´s the same just all in reverse?

@Moffett

If this really is similar to mine you need two fingers to hold the right and left point so it would be hard to stretch point six unless you put a stick in a "crotchgrip" or something :P.

Midoryu

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 04:53:32 AM »
OMG!  That's a Taibolo!  I've stared at mine for too long to not be unable to recognize it.

This trick is sort of like what you do with rubber bands XDXD.  Except I'll try to find out how you could do a six point with a five point inside the six point (that was from a rubber band trick too).  Gotta phone my cousin...:P
If you juggle and you know it, do [insert complex siteswap notation].

Aaron Z

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 07:04:18 AM »
Diabolo88:

Your trick is very much the same as mine, apart from the entry. For my entry, I throw a C-whip (Overwhip) across the left handstick and catch it with the front diabolo cup.

I haven't experimented with it much, I discovered it late at night which is also why the video and tutorial were quite poor.

Anyways, someone said that they "think" they saw diabolobro do a 2D variant, making this a copy. Well, I haven't seen that video, and I think you should have more than a "think" before making yourself sound so sure.

Still, this is here to help people think of paths into new tricks, not to claim the trick myself. As you can see, diabolo88 had already extended the trick into making a second star a while back, hopefully people can keep building on it likewise.

@ Eric M.

Try the trick out and it's pretty clear  :P

---

Thanks for all the feedback, now I gotta find some time to shoot the Azacide. (< It might have already been done, but at least now it'll be available  ;)  )

looby

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 01:35:53 PM »
Anyways, someone said that they "think" they saw diabolobro do a 2D variant, making this a copy. Well, I haven't seen that video, and I think you should have more than a "think" before making yourself sound so sure

Sorry 'ard!
Rennes July 10-17th 2011!

Aaron Z

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2008, 10:08:48 AM »

Sorry 'ard!

Say whaaaat?

I gave the video an edit using YouTube's new features, including a better tutorial that plays on-screen, and BACKGOUND MUSIC!... which is still being 'Processed'  >:(

Give it a second look if you like.

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2008, 02:36:36 PM »
Still, this is here to help people think of paths into new tricks, not to claim the trick myself. As you can see, diabolo88 had already extended the trick into making a second star a while back, hopefully people can keep building on it likewise.

Well I don´t claim it either since mine is different ;).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal