Author Topic: 'Recent Posts' Box  (Read 3236 times)

Aaron Z

'Recent Posts' Box
« on: August 24, 2008, 08:23:44 AM »
Hello.

Since the recent update of the site, I've mainly noticed that the box on the forum index that displays which topics have recently been posted in has grown much shorter.

I think it should be returned to it's previous size, if not larger than before.
This is because some posts are occasionally pushed out of sight underneath other new ones, making it harder to track your interests without the "Show new replies to your posts" button.
However, if you haven't posted in such a topic, you'd have trouble ever finding out about new posts.

Also, if someone has created an entirely new topic, which would also appear in the Recently Posted box, and suddenly a surge of posts arise in other topics, the new one may get very little traffic because you'd have to browse through the forums to find it.

William

• VotW Contributor
Re: 'Recent Posts' Box
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 09:23:28 AM »
I agree. But you could always try to use the "Show unread posts since last visit." and the "Show new replies to your posts." if you posted in it.
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

nev

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 10:17:17 AM »
I think you'll find it's now "Recently updated topics" - i.e. it does not show every recent post - just the topics which have had a post recently - so if one topic has 10 posts in quick succession it will still only show up once on the list - not 10 listings.  I prefer the new setup - its much cleaner
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 01:11:23 PM »
Good eye Nev. Yes I installed a mod to change it to recent topics instead of recent posts, and because of that, reduced the size slightly. Hopefully this reduces some of the noise on the forum and also keeps recent threads on the "main page" a while longer.

Really, there are many better tools for checking recent posts anyways that are worth looking into. Have a look at the following. The images link to the page they refer to:

looby

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2008, 06:27:51 PM »
Here here. 

The 'three words game' just about did it for me.  If you think a new topic might get lost in other replies when it only shows other threads that are active, think how much easier it will get lost showing all individual posts (i.e with the case of the 'three words game).

Good addition, definitely a keeper
Rennes July 10-17th 2011!

tipiphil

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 09:24:40 AM »
I have just noticed that the 'Recent Topics' option has disappeared from the navigation bar.  Is this a result of the upgrade to Beta 4?

Could we have it back please, I found it useful.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 03:20:53 PM »
It's a result of me not reinstalling it after I upgraded to Beta 4. I'll gladly reinstall it - give me a day or two to get to that see below. I was just thinking that it was similar to this layout. Now that I think about it, that doesn't show all recent threads, just new ones. Plus, you have to be signed in.

Edit - woops, just looked it up and it isn't compatible with Beta 4 just yet.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2008, 03:36:40 AM »
It was just updated yesterday and I have re-installed it. Glad you find it useful.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal