Author Topic: I'm new, and I want to buy a Sundia...  (Read 9890 times)

Infantry001

I'm new, and I want to buy a Sundia...
« on: August 30, 2008, 08:38:54 PM »
Hey guys, I'm Kevin. I'm 15, and I enjoy diaboloing(?).

My dad's going to Taiwan in a week, and I was wondering is the Sundia building the only place to buy a Sundia diabolo? And around how much are they going to cost?

Aaron Z

Re: I'm new, and I want to buy a Sundia...
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 11:46:01 PM »
Taiwan is pretty big on skill toys, so chances are that you'll find a few stores selling Sundia products or other brands of diabolo.

So the Sundia building isn't the only option for buying diabolos in Taiwan, although it is probably the cheapest. Buying straight from their store, you could probably grab a Fly for about $20-30.
I'm not sure about the price of Suns there, but I'd think it's safe to assume that they'd be a fair bit cheaper than $40.  ;)

Infantry001

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 02:53:21 AM »
Cool, thanks.

Also, any advice on what handsticks I should buy, and if I should buy Sundia's string (if they sell it separately)?

Aaron Z

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 05:14:35 AM »
Sundia thick string is unsuitable for use with anything but bearing diabolos, in my opinion. Both thick and thin Sundia string are relatively weak, and will fray and snap at the point where they connect to the sticks.
(see below for explanation - Sean)

As for sticks, Sundia Carbons are very, very reliable and high-grade sticks, but are breakable. For sticks that can stand up to abuse, aluminiums are the way to go.

Sundia makes both Carbon and Aluminium sticks, so you or your dad can get either or both when he goes to Taiwan.

*CORRECTION* READ READ READ!!!

Above I said that Sundia string breaks easily, I've now been informed by Nev that this is NOT TRUE. It is AS strong as Henry's string, the breakage was due to my sticks.

Thanks for the heads up, Nev  :D

fzzyrn

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 06:01:13 AM »
do you know which sundias you want to get and how many of each?
A good way to figure out how many is to take the number that you can do right now and add 1.

If you're doing primarily 1 diabolo, get flys. If you're doing multiple, get suns. You can also learn 2d on flys, but its a bit more complicated.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 06:42:34 AM »
If you're doing primarily 1 diabolo, get flys. If you're doing multiple, get suns. You can also learn 2d on flys, but its a bit more complicated.
I'm not sure of the reasoning behind this advice besides assuming he got the flys with only bearing axles?

If you want ratchets/bearings get flys. If you want a diabolo that's a bit more flexible and tougher get suns. That's about it.

Then again, he never even asked. So this is all just on a tangent.

fzzyrn

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 08:40:01 AM »
I'm assuming he already knows some 1d stuff and he's going to sundia for the flys (kind of a specialty). It was really more to warn him off using bearings for learning 2d

sorry for any..... misunderstandings?

Infantry001

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 10:54:18 PM »
So for 2d stuff, its better off going with a no-bearing diabolo? Why would that be?

fzzyrn

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 03:00:35 AM »
one, its usually easier to learn with fixed, as some tricks don't work with bearings
two, bearing diabolo's axels don't spin, so the diabs cannot shuffle themselves.

allsoppy5

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 07:46:12 PM »
argh i need a new fly! (as pete will know) and i can't get on diabolomoves.com! Has it moved?
one, its usually easier to learn with fixed, as some tricks don't work with bearings
two, bearing diabolo's axels don't spin, so the diabs cannot shuffle themselves.
Yes they can and the do spin unless they are stopped by something. I Quite often leave them to shuffle themselves.

fzzyrn

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 11:33:45 PM »
maybe my flys are just weird... i think they may need to be tightened a bit then.

but genocides are easier with fixed axels, concur or no?

Ben.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2008, 12:12:45 AM »
argh i need a new fly! (as pete will know) and i can't get on diabolomoves.com! Has it moved?Yes they can and the do spin unless they are stopped by something. I Quite often leave them to shuffle themselves.
wrong. they require a lot more effort to keep shuffling compared to circus.

genocides, may well be harder. vertax gens may be easier,
tbh it is all about preference.

Niclas

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2008, 09:36:12 AM »
argh i need a new fly! (as pete will know) and i can't get on diabolomoves.com! Has it moved?

'' In the meantime - here is a fully working mirror of the shop www.diabolomoves.net/diabolos '' quote from NEV.
Your like diabolo news reporter Niclas, always bringing out the updates fast. Nice work.
http://wwww.youtube.com/DiaboloNiclas

monkiatzu

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2008, 09:21:20 AM »
argh i need a new fly! (as pete will know) and i can't get on diabolomoves.com! Has it moved?Yes they can and the do spin unless they are stopped by something. I Quite often leave them to shuffle themselves.
lmao has diabolo moves moved? i think u answered that hehehe (the irony)
i thought it would be cheaper to by sundia gear from taiwan, like maybe a 25% discount as theres no shipping for starters.

Infantry001

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 03:28:57 AM »
Thanks for all your help, guys! My dad got back, and I got 2 Suns and a Fly :) I am very satisfied.

Now, time to learn how to do vertax and 2d...  :-\ (Wish me luck!)

monkiatzu

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2008, 06:08:59 AM »
good luck

waverly

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2008, 03:07:57 AM »
hi~I'm from Taiwan!!!! :D
you can go to this website:
http://tw.myblog.yahoo.com/andes_corp/
if you can read Chinese.tell me about you!! are you Taiwanese?!
or
http://www.sundiasports.com/english.html

hope this information will help u.
you can e-mail me if you have question, you can e-mail me.
wei.formosa@gmail.com
I'll be glad to help if i can answer your questions! ;)

Diabolique

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2008, 03:56:18 PM »
 ::) ive had a sundia fly for over 2 years and its comin 2 christmas and i was wantin a sundia sun but my fly is very scratched and im worried about it breakin but i just wanted to ask. is a sun more durable? please rep quick before christmas!

[mod edit - please keep the smileys down, apologizing for it in advance isn't going to help]

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2008, 06:12:02 PM »
So for 2d stuff, its better off going with a no-bearing diabolo? Why would that be?

I tried to do the fan movement with my bearing sun. But I found that as soon as you put the left wrap on it the diabolo will just fall down lol. Dunno about other people though.. But I think 2d is hard with bearings because of the wraps..

Correct me if I'm wrong please  :-|

Duncan

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2008, 06:16:29 PM »
I tried to do the fan movement with my bearing sun. But I found that as soon as you put the left wrap on it the diabolo will just fall down lol. Dunno about other people though.. But I think 2d is hard with bearings because of the wraps..

Correct me if I'm wrong please  :-|

A fan with a bearings is pretty much the easiest thing you'll do - it'll last forever no matter how bad at them with fixed axles you are. That being said, learn fans with a fixed axle so you can learn where you're problems with fans lay - you'll discover how to do them better by being able to spot where flaws in your technique are. If you can do an everlasting fan with fixed axles, you'll just laugh at doing fans with bearings.

Also, 2d with bearings isn't hard - just different. There's loads of very weird and wonderful tricks that people have discovered thanks to bearings.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal