Author Topic: S-Fan Exit  (Read 20383 times)

Sean

• Administrator
S-Fan Exit
« on: November 15, 2004, 01:01:41 AM »
A video of mine is up on Diabolumberto's jongle.net trick of the week (hint: look under "Les Tricks", November). There are some excellent past tricks of the week there if you haven't already seen them.

[Edit - It is also now available with music on diabolo.ca]

My trick is a 2 diabolo entry into an s-fan with a hand catch, a few little variations on the fan position just to show that it is an s-fan (ie. it can go on forever), and then an s-fan exit. The slow motion video clip at the end shows that s-fan exit in slow motion. I will try and do a short tutorial on s-fan exits in the future. Essentially, this exit is based on doing a stop-over on the right stick and then throwing the diabolo out the side of the triangle of string that develops. Practice it with one diabolo first.

I'll release a video shortly that I put together last month with some more s-fan variations in it.

Diabolo on guys! And, sorry about the shameless plug!  :roll:
Sean

milka

S-Fan Exit
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004, 01:35:20 AM »
Amazing  :shock:  

Congratulations !

S-Fan Exit
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 03:48:06 AM »
:o  I love the finger toss into the fan!  Too cool.

Julian

Donald the Trekky

S-Fan Exit
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2004, 09:29:15 AM »
very nice

Arjan

S-Fan Exit
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2004, 02:32:32 PM »
As you know, respect for this paticulair exit.

Sean

• Administrator
S-Fan Exit
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2004, 05:41:06 PM »
Well, some guys on Jongle.net were curious about how that s-fan exit works... and I know I've spent some time explaining to it to some of you guys on this forum one on one. I posted something about it on jongle.net and I thought I'd translate it here too.

So, you do an s-fan and exit as if it were a normal fan... but the difference this time is that you do a stop-over on the right stick (for righties). You then turn your hand towards the other hand and a triangle of string is formed "magically" ;). So, you can now pop the diabolo out of the side of this triangle.

Here's a picture of that position with the triangle:

Practice first with one diabolo on the same backside of the string position as you would be in a normal s-fan. Get into the stopover and pop the diabolo out.

With this exit, the s-fan can be used much of the time that the normal fan would have been previously used. The advantage being that this fan can be done forever or at least as long as you can take the pain in your arms! ;)

[edit - Arjan has mastered a different s-fan exit. It's flashier but also much harder to pull off. Maybe he'd post a link to his video here?... come on Arjan... we're waiting ;) ]

Sean

Martijn

S-Fan Exit
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2004, 07:59:38 PM »
Really cool video, Sean! A nice trick... I understand it (the knot stealing => slowcide part) and I tried it myself. Maybe it's easier with finesses with longer axles... So you can grind it on your fingers instead of catching it... :D

Arjan

S-Fan Exit
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2004, 10:10:52 PM »
A link to actually my first succesfull S-Fan I pulled of... in front of a cam  :lol:  

http://www.circusplanet.net/diabolo/filmpjes/arjan/s-fan.wmv

Matt

• VotW Contributor
s-fan exit
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2004, 07:30:07 AM »
Dear Sean and Arjan,

Thanks to both of you for those great exits.  Sean, I learned yours about a month ago but it still freaked me out from time to time.  Then I saw Arjan's exit and thought, "Hmm, that might be more my cup of tea..."  And at last, I've got it!  Very cool.  It's not 100%, but tonight I stuck around after work and pulled several.  I just have to work on making sure my stopover on the left hand doesn't miss the string.  Then it's money.  SWEET!
Many Thanks to Sean for all his work and inspiration.  Respect to the MFP!

barnesy

• Administrator
S-Fan Exit
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2004, 08:07:36 AM »
Hi Matt.  It's good to see you here!

I can't do an s-fan yet, but I've not seen mention of the first exit I thought of when working the trick out with one, so thought I'd chip in with it.  

Instead of a slightly awkward throw from a left hand stopover, you can just do two stopovers on the left instead of one.  That will bring the diabolo back on top of the string.  It will fall out of the stopover if you let the string slip off the end of the stick.

That's a modification of an old trick, so maybe everyone already knew it!

Sean

• Administrator
S-Fan Exit
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2004, 03:40:34 PM »
Quote from: barnesy
Instead of a slightly awkward throw from a left hand stopover, you can just do two stopovers on the left instead of one.

I think that's the same exit that Arjan uses in his video. The exit in my video uses a right hand stopover not a left. Keep in mind that I'm right handed and Arjan is left handed, so that confuses things a bit.

The magic knot on the non-dominant side is the somewhat 'obvious' exit I think... at least it is the exit I first thought of using, but I never got it to work. Arjan's video was the first time I saw it pulled off on video. The problem with that exit is that the already slow diabolo has to travel against its spin while in a half twist of string along the full length of string. It is travelling in the normal direction but it is on the backside of the string. It is a flashier exit, but I think it is harder to pull off cleanly after a long s-fan.

Arjan

S-Fan Exit
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2004, 03:59:33 PM »
Well, I don`t know. If you pratice on it, it`s not very hard. But the same with your exit Sean, I think is hard, but I need to practice on it.

Elmeri

• VotW Contributor
S-Fan Exit
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2005, 02:04:33 PM »
Ok...
 My little problem (this time) is to get to that RH-stopover, if I could do that I could to the whole thing.
  First of all, every time I try to do S-fan exit I do a 2d stopover (meaning that instead of one I take both of the diabolos in the same side) and in that position it´s impossible to continue. Well, my only (s-fan) problem (with S-fan correction) is to separate the diabolos to each side (the wrong sided one to rigth and the other on left. Any tips?

P.S. I´ve got my wrap start to 3 allmost solid but I´m still not able to move my left hand correctly  (maybe I´m stupid or something or then it´s gonna take much more time to learn it)...

Sean

• Administrator
S-Fan Exit
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2005, 02:30:19 PM »
Quote from: Elmeri
My little problem (this time) is to get to that RH-stopover

Think of it as the same motion as exiting a normal anticlockwise fan. Instead of finishing with a right RH backwrap put it into a stopover.

Well, my only (s-fan) problem (with S-fan correction) is to separate the diabolos to each side (the wrong sided one to rigth and the other on left. Any tips?

If you mean they are tilting to the outside, you must find the hand motion that corrects that and does the opposite. Try widening your hands, pushing your hands towards the middle when they are in front and pulling out to the outsides on the way back. Maybe I'll do a short video on s-fan corrections some day.

I´ve got my wrap start to 3 allmost solid but I´m still not able to move my left hand correctly  (maybe I´m stupid or something or then it´s gonna take much more time to learn it)...

No you're not stupid. There's a reason why 3 diabolos isn't easy to learn. :)

...but back to the s-fan topic.

Sean

Dave P

• VotW Contributor
S-Fan Exit
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2005, 02:46:24 PM »
Quote from: Sean
Maybe I'll do a short video on s-fan corrections some day.

That would be nice!

Elmeri

• VotW Contributor
S-Fan Exit
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2005, 03:26:44 PM »
I meant that every time I do RH trapez I pick the "wrong" diabolo, one which isn´t under the string.

Now if I want to open my s-fan I do RH trapez then LH trapez release (quite hard), I´ve managed to do that once.

barnesy

• Administrator
S-Fan Exit
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2005, 03:35:45 PM »
That's something I'd been wondering about.  How do you tell which diabolo is on the dark side?  I can't run a fan well enough to see for myself, but can only imagine trying an S fan with two different colour diabolos so I know which one to exit with.  Or are there other ways?

Dave P

• VotW Contributor
S-Fan Exit
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2005, 03:43:29 PM »
It's the one by your left stick, so if you finish by pushing down with your left hand the darkside diabolo should pass under the other and end up on the right.

Sean

• Administrator
S-Fan Exit
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2005, 03:47:06 PM »
There's no need to guess which one is the right one. Assuming you start a traditional s-fan (for a RH person that means starting on the backside of the LH string facing the left side) then it is the same diabolo that comes around on the backside of the string as in a normal fan or vortex. (Basically it's the diabolo closest to your left hand.)

If you want, you could start by capturing a different coloured diabolo on the backside to start the fan and then follow this diabolo around. Once you get it though it's not hard to do it by feel.

You should be able to exit a normal anticlockwise fan first. Don't try and learn with an s-fan. Then, getting the diabolo into the RH stopover from an s-fan is the exact same motion. The hard part is the part after that where you throw the diabolo up throught the triangle of string.

Sean

Elmeri

• VotW Contributor
S-Fan Exit
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2005, 05:35:49 PM »
Ok...

I can do a c-fan and I use RH stopover to get out of it. But how I start a ac-fan? Is it just c-fan 180?

I think that I can maybe be able to work some solutions tonigth... :?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal