Author Topic: Blinded by the light  (Read 3266 times)

Blinded by the light
« on: October 21, 2008, 01:37:48 AM »
Anyone here a night juggler using a light kit? How do you keep yourself from getting freakin' blinded everytime the diabolo zooms past your face? I've tried wearing shades, but then I just cant see ANYTHING except the lights which totally throws off my depth perception. I've lit only half the Diabolo, and it just loses the effect.

Lately what I did was use red leds on my end (red being easiest color on the eyes) and the rainbow on the audience's. Maybe someone's got some other tricks up their string.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die

William

• VotW Contributor
Re: Blinded by the light
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 11:14:41 AM »
Avoid staring directly at it? Try looking ahead and if it passes straight past your face trying squinting or even closing your eyes completely..
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 12:32:42 PM »
Just a thought. In the eye there are two kinds of cells that percieve world, rods & cones. In short others are used to see in dark others in light. The ones with you see in light see better when you look straight forward. The nightvision works better when you don't look straight to the object that want to see.

What good comes from this eh? Don't know. If you want to see the object in dark, don't look at straight to it. Led diabolo is the light source and if you look at it your eyes will adust to the light, and you lose the darksight or some of it.

Well this is just speculation of what happens really. Listen to William he said it already.
«Diabolo, whiter than the whitest!»

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 02:43:56 PM »
Hm-m-m.

Actually - both are used in light or dark. Cones are used for color, but are less light sensitive and rods are more light sensitive but not color sensitive. So, with the theory in mind, when the diabolo wooshes past your eyes and you dont look at it - it will blind you more because you'll be seeing it primarily with your rods which are more light sensitive (that's why if you've been in a dark room for 10 minutes your eyes can adjust very well - especially to movement). If you did look directly at it, you'll focus your cones on it, which provide for higher resolution vision, and are less light sensitive. (That's why if you dont look at something you'll see it better)
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die

willum89

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 03:53:53 PM »
Just an idea but try staying in a well lit room for awhile causing your pupils to adjust to the light. Then when you're performing the bright LEDs won't seem as bright. Get what I mean? Once your pupils have contracted a bit your eyes won't be as sensitive to the LEDs as opposed to when your pupils are dilated, like when it's dark and your eyes are trying to pick up all the light it can.

Might even help if you actually keep staring into the LEDs, though somewhat counter intuitive. The bright LEDs would keep the pupils contracted and not be as blinding. The other situation is you're avoiding the lights, causing the pupils to dilate due to the darkness, then when the diabolo passes your face the dilated pupils pick up more light than they bargained for.

I don't have any light kits so I can't actually try this theory out. Please let us know if you figure something out or if any of this helps at all.

Hathaway

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 04:24:00 PM »
Or suck it up, man up. An just put up with it, its not that bad.

Hathaway

• Donator
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 05:00:05 PM »
Haha if you are actually getting blinded by diabolo light kits then you should probably see an optician, they really aren't all that bright.

allsoppy5

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2008, 09:03:26 PM »
What lights are you using? I find henrys lights are dimmer than babache (or other way round cannot remeber =P) so if you find one too bright swap to other!

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2008, 09:07:22 PM »
You actually know the rod and cone stuff :) Now there you just answered the question
yourself. I suppose the light kit in the dark is always a struggle with seeing stuff. "Rods are specialized for vision in dim light and for movement detection." (Eysenck & Keane - Cognitive Psychology). So i'd say, don't look at the light.

Another thing is that the people who are watching don't see the string. So why would you do tricks that require hard stuff with string. If you don't have led sticks, why to do minigens or stuff that requires stick releases. If do have LED sticks, then you can guess the location of string pretty easily. LED stuff isn't that hard actually. ;)
«Diabolo, whiter than the whitest!»

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 09:58:55 PM »
Just an idea but try staying in a well lit room for awhile causing your pupils to adjust to the light. Then when you're performing the bright LEDs won't seem as bright. Get what I mean? Once your pupils have contracted a bit your eyes won't be as sensitive to the LEDs as opposed to when your pupils are dilated, like when it's dark and your eyes are trying to pick up all the light it can.

This..actually - is a real good idea. I'll most defn'ly give it a go.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal