Author Topic: Before starting diaboloing on stage  (Read 6147 times)

zwiggelbig

• Donator
Before starting diaboloing on stage
« on: October 28, 2008, 09:01:58 PM »
Hey, yesterday I did my first performance ever! And I'm gonna post a video anytime soon to get some tips.. But anyways I learned one thing..

I cannot walk on a stage and start diaboloing right away! I MUST do something before it to feel more comfortable because I was soooo nervous really.

Now I'm wondering do you guys and girls have some tips for things you could do that just takes like 30 to 60 seconds before you start diaboloing?

Thanks in advance!

n3mo

Re: Before starting diaboloing on stage
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 02:39:43 AM »
i generally walk on and put my extra diabolos and sticks around the stage, takes a few seconds, maybe it'll calm some nerves.
i think really the best thing to do is keep performing - doesn't have to be diabolo, just get used to the stage (personally i got used to the stage playing piano solos), and you'll be fine =]

also, i like to start off a performance with tricks that i can nearly do in my sleep; it gets me less self-conscious of being on stage and helps me loosen up for the more difficult tricks.
- Princeton Juggling Club -

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 12:43:41 PM »
i generally walk on and put my extra diabolos and sticks around the stage, takes a few seconds, maybe it'll calm some nerves.
i think really the best thing to do is keep performing - doesn't have to be diabolo, just get used to the stage (personally i got used to the stage playing piano solos), and you'll be fine =]

also, i like to start off a performance with tricks that i can nearly do in my sleep; it gets me less self-conscious of being on stage and helps me loosen up for the more difficult tricks.

Yea I gotta get used to the stage.. And do some easy tricks first but the problem was.. The tricks I could do in my sleep even went wrong because of the nerves :P

But maybe I could do something with the diabolo or the sticks first. Like some people swing the sticks around the diabolo first or around their body..

Anyone got more ideas about that?

Duncan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 12:54:15 PM »
Lots of people start off with just letting the sticks and string swing and then a throw it on for a suicide start - heck, why not try some rope dart with just the sticks and string if you're feeling daring.

If you're the acting type, perhaps you could try to develop a character and a routine where you come out, discover the diabolos and play with them a bit before actually going into your routine. If you get some laughs and break the ice with the audience, it can really calm your nerves and increase your confidence.

If you're talking about being prepared backstage, I've found nothing calms those pre-performance nerves/excitement for me.

Nervousness is a good thing, though - if you're ever bored before going on stage, then all the joy of performing is gone: what is the point if its not fun or exciting[1]?

-Duncan

[1] money excluded

The Void

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 01:07:26 PM »
Now I'm wondering do you guys and girls have some tips for things you could do that just takes like 30 to 60 seconds before you start diaboloing?

Rem acu tetigisti. Fill time! The more you can fill up your performance with little non-diabolo touches, the better it will come across. My first tip would be to walk on and look up at the audience. Engage them with eye contact, let them know that you know that they are watching you and that you are there for them. So much better than just shuffling on, eyes down, and going straight into your Chinese whips. 60 seconds is FOREVER onstage. Every extra little 5 seconds-worth of pause, look, smile, foot tapping or whatever is pure performance gold.

It's not about the tricks, it's not about the prop. :-D

The Void
Spluttering wildly
Read the thread? Get the gear! VERTAX IS RUBBISH and other tees & hoodies: https://tlmb.net/tees

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 10:19:21 PM »
400mg of caffeine. Preferably via Energy drinks. (5L.)
Took away my nerves and replaced with energy.
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

aznalien

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 01:19:48 AM »
ya, similar to wat william said, i get nerves too, im very inexperienced on the stage, but what i do for perfromances not just for diabolo, i take all that nerve and "rediredt" it to energy to get myself hyped and pumped up, its just all a mental state i guess..
hahaha. TRU DAT BROTHA!

Marko

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2008, 09:02:44 AM »
Well there's some breathing exercises you could do before going on stage...
Some people feel that those help a lot. Getting nervous is normal and it actually
prepares you for your performance. Actually with all the adrenaline in your veins
you'll be more capable of doing tricks. At first this might not feel like it. But in the
end the whole getting exciting is good thing.

On stage. Take your time. First thing i usually do is not a diabolo trick. Usually just go
and say hi or do it nonverbally. Can do some magic tricks or just tricks with sticks & diabolo.
Or with a bag... i usually start with stuff that is not diabolo. The first performances are always
pretty rough. You'll get better. Looking forward for the video footage...
«Diabolo, whiter than the whitest!»

Diabolo88

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2008, 10:22:33 AM »
First off, congrats on your first performance :)

I have only performed my first few times this year so not an expert at this at all either ;). One thing that is good is to know the song you diabolo to fully and then between the tricks and combos you should have a bit of extra time for the accleration and correction if anythings has gone wrong in the combo ofcourse. Better with a couple of seconds extra than a few seconds too few. If everything goes well and you don´t need those seconds you can just throw in a simple extra trick ot two to fill them up. This gives you some reassurance that even if you fumble something (or drop in worst case) you can fix it and find your place again.

Practice some improvisation too. First time I performed I got so nervous the last half of the act "disappeared" so the last half was entirely improvised. That s why it´s good to know the song, always be prepared to keep diaboling even if you forget what to do.

60 seconds is FOREVER onstage. Every extra little 5 seconds-worth of pause, look, smile, foot tapping or whatever is pure performance gold

^Didn´t realise this in my first performance but second went SO much better thanks to pauses. If the audience aren´t jugglers they won´t know when to clap anyway. The pauses will let them know and if the audience can hear themselves clapping they will probably be happier in the end.

Do a cool combo or trick and then go into a pause, make it abrubt and hold it for a while and make sure it´s a nice-looking trick to hold too. Look around at the audience is perhaps better than looking some straight in the eye.

If you can do some big movement like a flip and then a still pause afterwards there will also be a big contrast (if big movement fits in your routine ofcourse). If acrobatics aren´t your thing an easy pose like kneeling down or something would look nice probably and also change the level of the diabolo. Check out William (the taiwanese one). He kneels in seemingly all of his acts too.

Getting used to that particular stage maybe you can learn Trespaces or some similar excaliburstart with one stick. Then before excalibur you will be able to fill up a lot of time with just swinging sticks around in nicelooking ways while at the same time getting a breather if you need it before going into it.

Oh and about the nerves, did you feel the same way once you started? I felt like puking the entire time until the diaboling actually started and then it all went away and became feeling of fun instead (adrenaline perhaps?).

About something to do actually 30-60 secs before breathing and drinking that engergy stuff William suggested is the only thing to come to mind. To not think about the performance would be pretty difficult.

Jesse

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 12:47:23 PM »
My advice is to not worry about dropping. My best performance so far was also the one with the most drops. Not saying that you should drop, but if you just laugh at it and enjoy yourself the audience will like it too.  :)

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2008, 11:15:17 PM »
First of thank you all for taking the time to react!
Lots of people start off with just letting the sticks and string swing and then a throw it on for a suicide start - heck, why not try some rope dart with just the sticks and string if you're feeling daring.
Yea I thought of that, and I think that should really help.. I can do those starts so I could figure some things out with that =)

If you're the acting type, perhaps you could try to develop a character and a routine where you come out, discover the diabolos and play with them a bit before actually going into your routine. If you get some laughs and break the ice with the audience, it can really calm your nerves and increase your confidence.
Hmm yea thats the problem.. I'm not an acting type yet.. I'm just to nervous while on stage.. If I look on William ( Australian kid ) He got such a great stage appeareance! Wonderfull to see.. And I'm the opposite of it. I fail my easy tricks because I'm to nervous.. But I think that will go better when you just do it over and over again!
Nervousness is a good thing, though - if you're ever bored before going on stage, then all the joy of performing is gone: what is the point if its not fun or exciting[1]?

I thought of this.. And yur so right! Why do you diabolo? You do it for fun.. And If you just went on performing with a diabolo because of the money and you diddn't like to do it but it was all for the money then theirs no point! If you love to diabolo its sooooo great to show others what you can do!
[/quote]

I'll respond to you others later *goes to sleep now *

Rogelio Lopez

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 06:59:54 PM »
The Void is right on.  I have performed circus acts many times on stage, including the diabolo which is my love. 

The Void says "It's not about the tricks, it's not about the prop."  So true since from my experience its about the moments when you "touch the audience."  The audience not only watches the tricks and the prop, they watch you and how you act.  Many times the audience; especially if it is a non-juggling one, enjoys simple tricks mixed in with a few complex ones.  The last thing an audience wants to watch is a boring person doing complex tricks.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal