Author Topic: Blog Post Tijn #5 | High quality video deinterlacing (Windows)  (Read 8766 times)

martijn

Blog Post Tijn #5 | High quality video deinterlacing (Windows)
« on: November 09, 2008, 11:21:28 PM »
For this week's blog post, I wrote an article that describes how to produce supersmooth high quality deinterlaced compressed video in Windows. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask them here.

http://diabolo.ca/high-quality-video-deinterlacing-windows/

Thanks to Sean for cleaning up some of my vague rambling :)

Hathaway

• Donator
Re: Blog Post Tijn #5 | High quality video deinterlacing (Windows)
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 12:58:30 AM »
Cheers Tijn, I found this a pretty useful read. Me thinks I shall do this in some upcoming projects, it doesn't seem to be all that much effort for the end result.

Loriot

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 12:59:32 PM »
High quality videos are always great to watch :).
Have a look at avidemux too, which also does a great job creating doubleframed, deinterlaced H.264 videos in one step. It also offers the new Matroska container, which is state of the art nowadays.
Look around the web for some tutorials.
(Don't be afraid to spend some time to get in contact with the software you use. I think it will please yourself after seeing the great result independent from the software)

Katana

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 11:01:46 AM »
If you're using avi synth anyway there are much better filters than doing a basic bob/weave.
If you look at the dvd rip world which has a ton of experience with avi synth the most used filter for deinterlacing is telecide, i know it's mainly for telecining but does a great job for deinterlacing.
You might want to read through the avi synth manual which is on your computer in the docs folder if you have it installed. Also doom9 probably has the best guides and forums for encoding video/audio on the web.
I'd also use Lagarith instead of huffyuv for lossless compression, it's more stable, encodes quicker, supports YV12/YUY2 and RGB colourspaces.
Encoding with x264 codec to mkv is a good way to go, although i'd use MeGUI for it as it has a lot of stuff built in plus a update manager to keep everything up to date. Nothing wrong with xvid avi's still though, pretty much compatable with everything and look fine so long as you deinterlace and clean it up properly.

I have ton of experience with avi synth if you need any more questions answering.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 12:28:06 PM »
Interesting points. A few things:
-The process Martijn linked to is far from a simple bob/weave. It also involves an area based VirtualDub filter by Gunnar Thalin which has been ported to avisynth if you wish.
-Unlike the above method, the DVD rip world generally does not double the frame rate (right?) and telecide works well for this.
-I see that avisynth 3 will compile in Linux, which will be useful, and means that there is potential for a port to OS X.

Katana

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 12:56:23 PM »
Fair enough, if what you use works for you then by all means use it, I'm just saying explore other filters as well, as there are plenty out there. If you look in the avi synth manual in the External Filters bit it lists several deinterlacing filters that may work better or quicker and better.

I avoid vdub filters since they involve colourspace conversions to RGB (vdub full processing mode) and if your source video isn't RGB you'll have 2-3 colourspace conversions before the video is done. AVI Synth in fast recompress just serves the frames without any conversions, so it's best to stick to working in only avi synth filters.
In fact i only use vdubmod for converting to Lagarith and MeGUI for the final encoding process to xvid/x264. If you are making more complex scripts then AvsP http://avisynth.org/qwerpoi/Overview.html is a great piece of software.

DVD world doesn't double framerate (reduces it normally), and i don't see why you would either, if your video is 25/30/50/60fps doubling it won't improve it in anyway since you'd only be doubling up on frames and it wouldn't look any different. You can double the framerate after deinteralacing anyway so it doesn't matter what you use to accomplish the deinterlacing. I'm slightly less knowledgable on the MJPEG encoding front so correct me on that, but MPEG2/DV is very similar to dvd encoding if not identical.

Loriot

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 04:37:45 PM »
DVD world doesn't double framerate (reduces it normally), and i don't see why you would either, if your video is 25/30/50/60fps doubling it won't improve it in anyway since you'd only be doubling up on frames and it wouldn't look any different.

Motions will look nicer and more fluid with the doubled up framerate, don't they?

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 04:54:26 PM »
DVD world doesn't double framerate (reduces it normally), and i don't see why you would either, if your video is 25/30/50/60fps doubling it won't improve it in anyway since you'd only be doubling up on frames and it wouldn't look any different.
I can't say I fully understand what is going on, but the frames aren't simply being doubled up. Did you look at the example video Martijn posted frame by frame? Basically you are splitting the fields into their original 59.94 or 50fps non-interlaced frames and then somehow filtering them back to their original aspect ratio. The result is a good compromise between temporal smoothness and frame based clarity. http://www.100fps.com/ does a much better job of explaining it than I can.

martijn

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 05:11:33 PM »
Quote from: 100fps.com
Analyzing the two fields and deinterlace only parts which need to. The main difference to "Area based" is that it gives you a 50fps movie instead of a 25fps movie, thus leaving you with perfect fluidity of motions. To say it more academically: High temporal and vertical resolution.

Katana

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 05:15:32 PM »
He's using a pure interlaced source, which is what you get from analogue recorders, in that case follow his advice if you can achieve the results you want with it. Though the example he's showing just looks like basic interpolation on interlaced frames which can be achieved with a number of filters, even telecide will do that and maintain the framerate so long as you don't use decimate to filter out leftover frames. He talks about motion compensation at the bottom being the best thing and there are avi synth motion compensation filters like TomsMoComp out there.
Some of the page though is outdated for digital sources where pure interlacing is rarely used and progressive or telecined material is the norm depending on the camera you are using, though i'd go for a camera that could do purely progressive nowadays as it's much easier all round.

I'd check out the Doom9 site and guides, and the forums if you have some in-depth questions, the coders behind avi synth hang out on those forums it's the go to place to post new filters for coders.

AVI Synth is all about script experimentation really, just find what works for you, but don't ignore any new filters and techniques available, there is probably a filter out there for every video problem you can think of.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal