Author Topic: VotW: 24 April 2005, Tom  (Read 13402 times)

Sean

• Administrator
VotW: 24 April 2005, Tom
« on: April 25, 2005, 01:34:25 AM »
This week we have a yoyo inspired trick by Tom Derrick. My cultured sources ( Seán_) inform me  that in yoyo jargon this trick may be called the Gyroflop.

http://diabolo.ca/votw/tom_1d_180_twist.mpg
Streaming version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=790-j1Qgcw4

viiru

Video of the week: April 25-May 1, Tom
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2005, 01:44:05 AM »
cool!

I've been doing yoyos quite a while but never realized that this trick could be adapted to diabolo also...

Just wait a while and I'll try to do my neatest yoyo stuff with bolos :)
It's just a world spinning around your diabolo

kragen

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2005, 01:47:39 AM »
wow, that is cool - I definitely like that!

looks like it could be adapted into a nifty way of getting into excalibar too....
Justin
Gravity Vomit - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2005, 01:49:29 AM »
is that a spiniabolo? i've tried to do that before but the diabolo usually stalls about halfway into it. either he spun it up incredibly fast, or he's got a spiniabolo. or perhaps that is the secret super efficient method  :roll:

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2005, 08:47:05 AM »
i have been trying to work out a diabolo version of that, but using the string of that cradle is inspired. Go Tom!

Awesome.

p.s. (pre-signature) A good amount of spin does the job nicely, he uses Henrys Circus, i dont think Finesse could take that much contact without stopping.

p.s.b.p.p.s (pre-sig, but post p.s.) you dont even really need that much speed.

seán_

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2005, 01:03:33 PM »
Great trick Tom :)

those teflon hubs dont hurt do they?

The Void

Re: Video of the week: April 25-May 1, Tom
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2005, 02:14:15 PM »
Quote from: Sean
This week we have a yoyo inspired trick by Tom Derrick. My cultured sources ( Seán_) inform me  that in yoyo jargon this trick may be called the Gyroflop.
http://diabolo.ca/tricks.htm

It is indeed called a Gyroflop. Anyone interested in yo-yo should check out the English language yo-yo forum.
Now can someone work out how to translate Mach 5 to diabolo, please?

The Void
Older school than thou
Read the thread? Get the gear! VERTAX IS RUBBISH and other tees & hoodies: https://tlmb.net/tees

seán_

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2005, 02:33:57 PM »
Quote from: The Void

It is indeed called a Gyroflop. Anyone interested in yo-yo should check out the English language yo-yo forum.
Now can someone work out how to translate Mach 5 to diabolo, please?

The Void
Older school than thou

I was worried about calling it the wrong thing. Very nice to see some yoyo diabolo crossover.

I think the trick Spink and Ginger Tom were working on (and have nailed so I hear) falls into the Mach 5 category (need to see a mach 5 clip to be sure but its what I was trying at BJC)

Seán

The Void

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2005, 03:11:25 PM »
Quote from: seán_

I think the trick Spink and Ginger Tom were working on (and have nailed so I hear) falls into the Mach 5 category (need to see a mach 5 clip to be sure but its what I was trying at BJC)
Seán

Mach 5 Video

Should've done that before, I suppose. ;-)

The basic idea is that the yo-yo/diabolo stays still in the middle of a string cradle of some sort, whilst the cradle rotates around it. Looks best when the rotation is done slowly.

The Void
Ida Loopino, where are you?
Read the thread? Get the gear! VERTAX IS RUBBISH and other tees & hoodies: https://tlmb.net/tees

Tom Derrick

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2005, 08:50:37 PM »
Thanks for the positive feedback everyone.

Matt_: I have a Henry's circus with teflon hubs. I get quite a bit of spin on it, but it can be done with a reasonably slow spin. It's mostly technique.

Norbi: The cradle was the only thing that I found that could both hold the diabolo in place and rotate it around it's axis.

Sean_: Cheers for recommending the hubs to me, they reduce wear on the string significantly. The only thing that was slightly painful was the cost. In retrospect, I would have bought an extra couple, as I'm looking to buy a third diabolo soon.

Cheers,
Tom

Spooned

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2005, 08:59:05 PM »
:shock:  Mach 5 is über cool!
Diabolo or Diablo

Dax

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2005, 09:09:09 PM »
ye definitely a cool trick tom. you're going to have to show me that one soon!!

Ed

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2005, 09:23:36 PM »
Vey nice trick but i dont think it's to good with the finesse or i am probably not very good at it.

Matt_

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2005, 03:24:54 AM »
Quote from: Tom Derrick
Matt_: I have a Henry's circus with teflon hubs. I get quite a bit of spin on it, but it can be done with a reasonably slow spin. It's mostly technique.

ah, i was thinking so. my friend showed it to me on yoyo, and he can do a full 360, but even when i use his 'good' yoyo (i have a $15 Kickjam) i can barely get it to a half.

PS. damn you europeans and your easy getting of teflon axles :p i'd kill for those right now!

Andy

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2005, 08:00:28 PM »
That mach 5, i'm sure i've seen it done with diabolo - if I remember rightly at the nottingham convention during one of those spinning top and yoyo vids that were playing just before the show. Anyone else remember?

seán_

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2005, 09:01:29 PM »
I showed you a bad diabolo version of it at Perth Andy. I picked it up in Sheffield I think, or maybe at one of the leeds nights from one of the Pontecarlo lads.
theres a vid by Tom  and some discussion on   yoyo inspired moves here.

but as for the yoyo vid I think I have seen    a few yoyo inspired moves in clips of Japanese yoyo conventions that seem to be good sources of diabolo clips as well. So theres a good chance it might have been a simmilar one to what was shown in Nottingham.

nik

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2005, 01:12:51 PM »
yea its easy to do, i reckon theres loads more yoyo stuff to steal.
they seem to be mainly from trapeze or cradle positions this must be the basis of lots of yoyo tricks i guess.
mach 5 is done by getting into a trapeze then putting your other stick in the loop (like cats cradle) but from the front and putting this stick under the diabolo so you trap it between the  two sticks!
 hope you can understand, wish i had a video camera...... :)

jordak

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2005, 04:14:19 PM »
...I tried doing this...Once it got to 80 ish degree rotation it just fell of the string...How does the cradle stay under it?
Diabolo may be very technical - but don't overlook the artistic side ;-)

CM

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2005, 09:29:01 PM »
Crazy trick....
How did you think of it?
YO!

Tom Derrick

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2005, 10:37:33 PM »
Quote from: CM
Crazy trick....
How did you think of it?