Author Topic: Christmas help, please?  (Read 2436 times)

Wetterdew

Christmas help, please?
« on: November 20, 2008, 01:44:11 AM »
Hi everybody!  I'm new to this forum and I've only tried using diabolos once (but I got the thing rolling on the string when I did try it).  I'm going to ask for a kaleidoscope, a slinky, and a diabolo for Christmas this time, but which kind of diabolo should I ask for?  I'm new to it but I really like them and I think that I'll really get into it, and I bet I can learn a ton from you people!!

If you could send me a link to the details of a diabolo for me, that would be great.  I don't mind what the colors are too much, so thanks!

Aaron Z

Re: Christmas help, please?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 09:29:05 AM »
There are many online stores from which you can buy almost any diabolo in existence:

www.juggleart.com.au   -  A great, cheapish store for people around Australia looking to buy items
                                     individually.

www.firetoys.co.uk   -  A store in the UK with very fair prices and a huge range of diabolos.

www.diabolomoves.co.uk  -  A store in the UK run by an actual member of the forums. The very
                                       BEST place to buy Sundia and Taibolo brand equipment, diabolos,
                                       handsticks, string, and all the accesories.

All of these sites give a brief, or in some cases, quite in-depth summary of each diabolo, and may help you decide which one to begin with.

In my opinion, the Sundia Fly diabolo with a bearing axle is the way to go for beginners. The bearing axle makes keeping spin while you learn your first steps all that much easier. They are also very nice all-round diabolos even when you become a more advanced diaboloist. The bearing axle can also be fixed, so that the Fly will operate like any other diabolo.

The Fly also has wide and narrow axle variants, I'd recommend the wide axled one because of it's increased flexibility. (Ease of grinding tricks and the like aren't restricted.)

------

Of course, there are other options to choose from. Many people would recommend a Harlequin, a smaller diabolo made by 'Mr. Babache'. This diabolo also comes in two variants, a larger and smaller version. Because of the diabolo's durability, it will easily stand up to the abuse of a learning diaboloist.

Between the two variants, I'd recommend the smaller one for a beginner. Smaller diabolos are usually easier to control and get to grips with for new people. However, if you're already quite comfortable with the basics of using diabolos, the larger version will have a longer 'Play-Life' before you feel that you need to replace it.

-----

The Finesse, Circus and Sun diabolos, made by Mr. Babache, Henry's and Sundia respectively, are the fixed-axle diabolos that I would recommend above all else, though, after Sundia Flys.

All three of these diabolos are very easy to customize to your liking, and are extremely durable. They are of professional quality and you may never be drawn to buy a 'replacement' for them at all.

The three of them are pretty much the 'Jacks of all trades' as far as diabolos go, and there are no purposes that these diabolos are incapable of serving.

-----

That's all I've got time to write, sorry.
If you've got an interest in any of these diabolos, either look one up on one of those stores (Above) or search them into the forums here for lots more information.

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 11:39:39 AM »
if you really want to get into it, I suggest get a good durable one. A circus or a finesse. They are expensive but really good! And for sticks depends what you want if you want cheap get wooden. And for really good ones xtremes

Jatz

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 12:32:11 PM »

Wetterdew

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 08:41:45 PM »
Thanks for all of the help.

I'll get a Sundia Sun diabolo with a Mr. Babache Xtreme set of handsticks.

http://diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/store/comersus_listItems.asp?idCategory=73
for the Sundia Sun diabolo,

and
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Babache-Xtreme-diabolo-handsticks/dp/B000OM0VJ4
for the handsticks.

Are these good places to buy these?  I live in North Carolina of America (the east coast of America).  I just want to get them safely and at a cheap price.  I would get the Xtremes on diabolomoves.co, but they don't offer them together.  So I'll have to buy them separately...-_-

If I'm about to do something I'll regret, please tell me if I'm doing the right thing or not.  Thank you VERY much for your help!   :-D

fzzyrn

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 10:47:48 PM »
jugglingstore.com has the sundias and sticks for more or less the same price as diabolomoves (diabolomoves is a bit cheaper but you make up for it in international shipping)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal