Author Topic: Regular Umbrella  (Read 13645 times)

Hoop

Regular Umbrella
« on: April 28, 2005, 05:20:32 PM »
Would someone please be kind enough to do a tutorial or an explanation of this trick?  Not the excalibur version, just the one where it is going left to right in front of your face and over the sticks.  I've seen a few pictures and videos of it, but no good description of how to do it.  By the way, how do you know when you're ready to learn excalibur?  That looks wild!  Thank you! :)

Martijn

Regular Umbrella
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 05:24:59 PM »
I've filmed the trick for my website. You can download the vid here: http://www.circuspla.net/diabolo/video/1d/umbrella.mpg

Hoop

Regular Umbrella
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 05:56:37 PM »
Thanks Martijn, it looks cool, but what the heck is going on there? :lol:   It looks like it start with a clockwise sun and then each opposite stick lifts on the strings as the diabolo passes.  Is that anywhere near correct?

Martijn

Regular Umbrella
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2005, 06:35:33 PM »
Yes, you start with a sun (can be clockwise and counterclockwise, that doesn't matter) And you 'pull' the diabolo to the left when the diabolo passes to the right. Then, you pull the diabolo to the right when the diabolo goes to the left. Repeat this, and do it faster :wink:

It's a bit like armstalls. Go into a right armstall for example, then swing the diabolo to the left (sun) into a left armstall. Now swing it to the right and catch it in a right armstall again. If that goes well, you can try to pull the diabolo before it goes in an armstall => umbrella.

Hope it helps. Good luck! :D

Vojtas

Regular Umbrella
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2005, 07:09:57 PM »
Quote from: Hoop
How do you know when you're ready to learn excalibur?

There is no "when", you know. Just try it - it's not that hard. With the Sean's tutorial (download here) I think it's really easy.

mod edit: also info hereand more posts in the tricks sticky
What if the prophecy is true? What if tomorrow the war could be over? Isn't that worth fighting for? Isn't that worth dying for?
-Morpheus

Hoop

Regular Umbrella
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2005, 08:07:26 PM »
Cool, thanks.  Okay, not to sound like too much of a newb, but is an arm stall where you catch it to the side of your shoulder and the string is laying across your bicep?  I use that to start the trick called minetti whip, but I don't know what it is called.   :oops:

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
Regular Umbrella
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2005, 10:53:17 AM »
yes I could believe that to ba an armstall i'm not very good at names either.
Behind your back is your front.

J_J777

• VotW Contributor
Umbrella
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2005, 04:03:09 AM »
I've been trying to get the trick umbrella but have only succeeded in getting hurt... How do you keep the diabolo up?  How do you make it go left to right etc....  Help would be great.

Datafinderx

Regular Umbrella
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2005, 09:35:43 AM »
I have the same problems with this trick. I don't get it. When i try to pull the diabolo back, it swings under waist level on the other side, but not above my arms...

James

Regular Umbrella
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2005, 04:46:07 PM »
I have the same problem too.  Can anyone help please? [-o<
Step 1 - Download mIRC (http://www.mirc.com)
Step 2 - Connect to server irc.quakenet.org
Step 3 - Join channel #diabolo.ca

Hoop

Regular Umbrella
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2005, 05:01:54 PM »
Hi James,  I am still trying to learn this trick.  I am coming close, (I think) by trying to get a sort of rhythym going with the diabolo almost bouncing itself back and forth.  I just have to work on getting my hands down and out of the way so that the strings don't get crossed.  I haven't practiced it much though because it always flies out so far away.  Good luck.

ronnie2tone

• VotW Contributor
Regular Umbrella
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2005, 09:33:06 PM »
Couple of things that helped when I learnt this trick

It helps to keep in mind that for every switch back and forward a little bit of up is needed as well. (Damn that gravity :x ) Just enough to keep things on the horizontal.

As the diabolo reaches its outer limits the sticks should both be pointing  at the diabolo, same for both sides. Helps keep the movement fluid and smooth

Start out slow and get a feel for the movement. As you become faster the diabolo go across flatter (real word?)

Hope this helps.
Tossing the diabolo on a daily basis!

Mithew

Regular Umbrella
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2005, 02:07:04 AM »
i was wondering, are there any tricks that can be done with or out of the umbrella? its a pretty cool trick on its own, but i want to find some combo's aside from a 360 umbrella
There are 11 types of people in the world.  Those who can count in binary and those who can't.

Chiok

• Donator
Regular Umbrella
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2005, 12:37:16 PM »
I don't know about with or out of umbrella tricks, but if you watch Donald Grant videos (namely the BJC05 Priam Vs Donald renegade) he uses umbrellas alot in his speeding up for the diabolo and combines it with suns as well.  Not sure if it does speed it up, but it looks mental.  Also Jonas Zeller does some umbrella combos with his Renegades.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Hoop

Regular Umbrella
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2005, 05:40:57 PM »
Well, this is more motivation to learn it.  I just need sound advice now!  This is not to say that the advice from the posters above is not sound. :)

Squiggle

Regular Umbrella
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2005, 10:49:16 AM »
IVE FINNALLY GOT it as ronnie2one said start out slow . and for me it  fealt real unco so my problem was just not really trying to get it back up and going 2 fast

jus keep trying for all those who cant do it u will get ti soon

windchill

Re: Regular Umbrella
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2006, 12:09:17 AM »
hey, sorry for bumping a year old thread.. but the link to the video is now dead.. is there somewhere else i can find a tutorial video of umbrella?

Martijn

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2006, 10:15:06 AM »
Hi, I uploaded the video somewhere else, the link is working again now :)

windchill

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2006, 04:34:24 PM »
thanks!

CASERocks

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2006, 10:43:43 PM »
I just learned the umbrella last night. I used to think it was a hard trick, but I started out slow and gradually increased my speed.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal