Author Topic: Is there a record for High Toss? (29.55m)  (Read 35736 times)

seán_

Is there a record for High Toss? (29.55m)
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2005, 03:32:37 PM »
Oops sorry didnt spot the earlier reply.
One final point from me that Dr Matt brought up on our long drive to Brum. Since the diabolo is not so likely to reach terminal velocity and since we are making plenty of fudges with regard to the friction issue, it is justifiable to use 10 as the value of G rather than the fancy 9.81

Spooned

« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2005, 05:48:56 PM »
Hmm, interesting stuff (in too deep) apparently (according to the internet http://www.recordholders.org/en/members.html) the highest throw is 29.55m. But like most of t'internet dont know if its true or  not. (:roll: damn liars.)

@Sean_ surley the buttered toast should be replaced by chicken tikka to futher the stain and hence the levitation factor would be higher :lol:
Diabolo or Diablo

seán_

« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2005, 06:14:16 PM »
now all we need to know is the difference between standard and freestyle.

@Spooned: surely chiken tikka would fall off, unless it had a lid thus negating its floor attracting properties. the only serious research I have seen has used buttered toast although some people have postulated strawbery  jam might also be of use

Ed

« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2005, 07:00:01 PM »
When you see the record on that website there is a link next to it which reads: PHOTO
When you click it it comes up with a guy doing a 1 Diabolo trick, does anyone know what sticks he is using?

Mattias

« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2005, 07:02:43 PM »
Surely I had to read those tiny texts annoying the crap out of my eyes :P

To add to the topic. I will have to try to time my throws next time I go out to juggle

EDIT: Maybe not add as much as keep it on-topic
Need help? Try these before creating a new topic:
Search and
Trick and Video Archive

Hoop

« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2005, 07:04:19 PM »
Does it make a difference how long your string is when going for record heights?  Also, do you throw as if you are juggling,*(catch on right, roll to left and then launch) or just have it bottomed out in the middle and toss?

Mattias

« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2005, 07:06:01 PM »
for high toss I would have the diabolo on the middle of the string with stiscks close together, then at the same time jump, pull sticks apart and throw arms uppwards.
Search and
Trick and Video Archive

Hoop

« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2005, 07:07:45 PM »
That's pretty much what I do!  That little jump is funny though, isn't it?

Mattias

« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2005, 07:33:37 PM »
haha, indeed it is. No idea if it is necessary though.
Search and
Trick and Video Archive

mrpink

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2005, 08:18:32 PM »
twentynineandahalf?? Even I can do better than that
(with one of those tiny little diabolo thingies annyway).
Out and toss and steal  this german record before I do...
I think the jump is pretty funky too and if well timed (just before diabolo leaves the string i belive...) it will increase the velocity of the diabolo.
Maybe it helps to scream as well  (some discus throwers do that...)
And wearing a silly hat is verry good as well.

Arjan

« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2005, 08:44:01 PM »
Quote from: Hoop
Does it make a difference how long your string is when going for record heights?  Also, do you throw as if you are juggling,*(catch on right, roll to left and then launch) or just have it bottomed out in the middle and toss?

String lenght does have something to do with the precision of the throw. Maybe also with the height. But offcourse each advantage has it`s disadvantage.
I would say a shorter string than normal could throw higher, because when you pull the sticks open, the string will be straight much faster.
But I don`t think this works with a 15 centimeter long string.. so, there is another value to consider. (The words in this post are not chosen right, replace some to make it logical)

BlueNovember

« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2005, 09:47:54 PM »
The ideal string legth would be taut when your arms are almost fully oustretched.

You can no longer accelerate the diabolo once the string is taut unless you are moving the string vertically upwards; ie jumping. Therefore the longer the diabolo is moving upwards under a non-fully taut string the better.

(For the interested, this is from Impulse = Change in momentum/Time. :P It's the same principle that car seatbelts work by; Increasing the time taken for your momentum to be reduced to near 0 will decrease the impulse on your body.)

A lighter diabolo, longer strings, longer arms, and taller person would acheive the best results. If you're on the top of Everest you'd also have the advantage of weaker gravity (marginally) and thinner atmosphere, but that's pushing it a bit.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2005, 11:38:55 PM »
The height will be greater with:
1. a greater force applied
2. applying that force over as long a period of time as possible

(which together represent impulse)

A longer string will allow for the force to be applied over a longer period of time; however, muscle strength is not constant over all muscle lengths and when above an optimal muscle length, will not produce the same force. You could therefore find a point where string length is optimized. The biomechanics of the throwing action are complicated, but there would be a length for each person where the force produced would be optimized, and this is unlikely to be at the point where your arms are completely outstretched. I think we could best discover this through trial and error rather than complex biomechanical models on a phpBB forum. ;)

As to the small jump: it will either add to the length of time the force is applied for or will contribute a greater force over the same time (depending on the timing) and thereby increase the impulse as well. Therefore, that silly jump, if timed correctly, will contribute to the maximum height reached by the diabolo. And add infinitely to the coolness factor of the diabolo. :roll:

In sticking with the small text fad:
And I thought 3 years of a kinesiology undergrad degree would be useless.

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2005, 10:07:54 AM »
Blimey, lots of physics there.  Here's my science,

Laminar flow is a flow described when the Reynolds number is below a certain value (5000 for a sphere?).  Anything above this and you have turbulent flow where Bernoullis equations don't apply and everything kinda goes out of the window when it comes to equations.
As for air resistance or drag, then there is skin friction drag and there is pressure drag.  blah di blah...  But there's a reason why golf balls have dimples, like the birdie and eagle diabolos.  Something to do with wanting turbulent flow to reduce pressure drag on an object.

As for the jump, don't know why it happens, but you always want to jump.  I think it adds a lil something to the coolness factor as well.

Chiok
(moving up in a masters of mechanical engineering)
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Hoop

« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2005, 04:54:03 PM »
Wow, you guys make me want to be an engineer. Does the height record attempt have to be caught on the string to count?  I think it should or else you haven't really succeeded in performing a trick have you?> Now... how about a longest toss (horizontal distance) record?

ronnie2tone

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2005, 07:42:33 PM »
Carrying on the horizontal theme, I've been mucking about with grind to grind catches, but where you launch the diabolo from the stick up and off to the left or right and run after it and catch it again in a grind.

Not measured anything so far but best must be about 18ft (~5 metres).

World record? :lol:
Tossing the diabolo on a daily basis!

Monregi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2005, 08:30:18 PM »
Yeah ronnie, the current world record is yours.

jw

« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2005, 11:23:50 PM »
Quote from: xfirebladex

Laminar flow is a flow described when the Reynolds number is below a certain value (5000 for a sphere?).  Anything above this and you have turbulent flow where Bernoullis equations don't apply and everything kinda goes out of the window when it comes to equations.

It's 1000 I believe.
Tthat ain't nice for the fortune cookie I always charge you twice.
Delivery is free but not from me I always want a dolla fifty.

Hoop

« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2005, 03:25:44 PM »
I propose a world record attempt at longest daisy chain of diabolo passing.  Several diaboloists (hopefully members from this forum and myself will be included) stand a good distance apart and pass a single diabolo without building speed (only what is generated from the catch and throw) and toss it to the next participant, to see how much ground distance can be covered.  This could be done at a large juggling event.  With the same configuration (maybe tightened up a bit) a world record attempt at most diabolos in play *(being passed) could also be made.  Or have these already been done?   :P

hammerhead

« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2005, 03:45:45 PM »
or alternatively film it with a heght guide (basically a huge ruler) in the background then watch the slow motion replay? you do, of course need an adjudicator(sp?) involved for it to actually be recognised as a record

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal