Author Topic: VotW: May 2-8, Nick  (Read 7856 times)

Sean

• Administrator
VotW: May 2-8, Nick
« on: May 02, 2005, 06:20:25 AM »
I've got a number of great videos lined up at this point. I decided to go with a video of yoyo inspired string tricks from Nick to fit in with the recent yoyo trick discussion.

Here's Nick's description of the video:

It features four “Eiffel  Tower” style tricks and a crossed-arm coffee-grinder/cradle trick. The first of the Eiffel towers is not one of my original creations, but was learned from a video of the 2004 West Japan Yo-Yo Regionals. I don’t want to take credit for someone else’s work, but I haven’t seen many other videos with it in, so I thought it needed a higher profile. The other towers are variations on this trick.

I think this video has enough in it to keep most people busy for at least a week. Great tricks, Nick. I think you're going to be doing a lot of explaining in this thread. :)

http://diabolo.ca/votw/nick_1d_string_figures.mpg
Streaming version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxqB-udT8w0

---

I've decided to hold off on posting Dave P.'s s-fan trick of the week (an s-fan exit). I've decided to film a compilation video/tutorial of all the main s-fan exits that we know of at this time. If it's alright with Dave, I'll either include his video clip in that video or release it at the same time in an s-fan exit bonanza. yeeha.

Cheers to Dave Barnes who is donating some of his precious bandwidth to the worthy cause of our videos of the week.

Martijn

Video of the week: May 2-8, Nick
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2005, 09:49:58 AM »
Nice tricks! Not really my kind of tricks (cause most of the time I end up in a wrapped up mess :P ), but I do like them m8. Respect! :D

@ Sean: Are you going to tell us how to correct the diabolo's in the S-Fan too? You promised to do so a while ago. I really like to see different exits (and entry's perhaps..) and how to correct... Thanks! :)

barnesy

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2005, 04:09:00 PM »
Very nice stuff!  I'm going to have to watch that again, but slower!

murifri

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2005, 07:38:29 PM »
I really can't find out how to work that trick the bit of string going from the central mess to my right stick just slips off and the whole thing goes haywire.  hmm need to look at it some more.

Spooned

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 07:57:18 PM »
Nice one, good to see some old school tricks in there (coffee grinder) but reversed? Coolio
Diabolo or Diablo

Nick

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2005, 10:44:56 AM »
Here is an attempt at an explanation for the first trick in the video. It starts with a Japanese under whip. Next I pinch the string against the stick with my right middle finger. Then unmount the loop in front of the diabolo and whip it over the near diabolo cup. This leaves the diabolo on a string hanging from your finger, not from the stick. This makes the exit a lot easier! Next spread the two strings from your finger apart. Then pass the string coming from the right stick tip and the string left of the spread pair down and underneath the far diabolo cup from the left hand side. At the same time bring your left hand stick around underneath the near diabolo cup. Hopefully you should now be in an eiffel tower figure. Hold for dramatic effect. Exit by doing an anticlockwise sun and then dropping the strings that you are holding.

Hopefully this is clear enough to follow. I should be in Birmingham tomorrow, so anybody should feel free to ask for a better demonstration.

An alternate exit is to do a horizontal suicide by throwing the left hand stick forward, letting it wrap around the strings once, catching it and the dropping the strings. Or catch the stick behind the back, drop the strings and go into a behind the back combo.

Murifri, which trick are you trying? I can post an explanation for you later.
City landmark might be feet lower if rebuilt (6,5)

Mithew

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2005, 07:36:44 PM »
those are cool. how did you learn those??? is there a website or video with looks of stuff like that?
There are 11 types of people in the world.  Those who can count in binary and those who can't.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal