Author Topic: The Golden Mean and Proportions in Diaboloing  (Read 7460 times)

Y3K

The Golden Mean and Proportions in Diaboloing
« on: December 31, 2008, 09:15:27 PM »
I was a little hesitant to post this, as I don't know how many diaboloists are mathematicians, but I thought that it was important that everyone know about this:

The golden mean, which is the approximated proportion of a Fibonacci number to it's predecessor (i.e. 1.61803398875... to 1). This proportion is often found in nature, and is so common that it is hardly noticed.

When someone diabolos with the golden mean in mind, the proportion can be found to have an obvious use whenever the diabolo string is divided by the diabolo. Do a trapeze, and compare the two sections of string made by the diabolo, and by the stick as the diabolo swings upward in a wide arc. Where do you catch a falling diabolo? One rarely catches a diabolo right down the middle of the string, unless ending a performance.

I hope that I have opened your minds to the power of this ratio, and I hope that this can help others trying to learn to diabolo.
www.wakeupfreakout.org   Wake Up, Freak Out--then Get a Grip.

Jonny_

Re: The Golden Mean and Proportions in Diaboloing
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 11:27:05 PM »
WTF

Chickeneater72790

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 12:39:06 AM »
The more common name for the "golden mean" is Phi (ϕ) I believe.

and also:
WTF

William

• VotW Contributor
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 12:26:26 PM »
I always knew it as the golden ratio, but yeah I know what you're getting at. Also about catching it in the middle at the end of a performance: The golden ratio is also supposed to be aesthetically pleasing (it's why artists use it in their paintings) so it should look better slightly to one side.
Behind your back is your front.

Robski

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 05:09:25 PM »
Also knew it as the golden ratio.
I always had it in mind but never applied it to diabolo; maybe from now on I will.
Intresting.

Niclas

Your like diabolo news reporter Niclas, always bringing out the updates fast. Nice work.
http://wwww.youtube.com/DiaboloNiclas

Darragh

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2009, 08:01:21 PM »
having studied pure math for 4 years and having a degree in applied math i can tell you there is only 1 important ratio in diabolo

style : consistency

beam me up Scottie
From lost to the river

Ethan

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2009, 11:48:11 PM »
interesting ideas, cool to think of it that way

and of course
WTF
"In a ball and stick model, what do the balls represent?"  -Bio Teacher

mike.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2009, 06:27:51 AM »
WTF

i believe that this has been talked about (porportions of string and such) but uhh

WTF
can't believe its not butter

monkiatzu

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2009, 11:53:41 AM »
yea i understand what you mean, not many people do lol
but this ratio isnt fixed as it is in other aspects of nature.
could this contradict that it is a golden ratio??
maybe not, i still havnt investigated it to much extent, but i will :)

EDIT:
ok after my research on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio i guess it can be applied to diaboloing
the formula is (a+b)/a = a/b = phi
this is some pretty interesting stuff (yea im a math nerd)
i suggest  everyone who said wtf should read wikipedia and try and work it out lol
its pretty cool

thanks for the post :)

Ben.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2009, 01:05:47 PM »
it's not really that relevant at all to be honest.
seriously i see no use whatsoever in applying this ratio to diabolo.

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2009, 10:29:22 PM »
Well yeah, it pops up a lot in nature and art but has little (if anything) to do with diabolo in my eyes.

Just for a Bit of mathematical trivia:The ratio of the Fibonacci sequence converges to it and it's something like (1+sqrt5)/2 (-It gives the right answer on my calculator so I think my memory is correct.)

If someone can find a practical use for this in diabolo I'd be impressed. I can't exactly think why any special number in maths would have anything to do with diabolo except for pi with circular motion and rotation. Or 'e' in some sort of population study of diaboloists... Nah i'm pushing the boat out a bit now.

EDIT: The formula monkiatzu posted could be used to find an aesthetically pleasing height of a throw with another throw or one length of string to another. Which, in the grand scheme of things is "about as useful as a c*ck flavored lollipop" -to quote dodgeball.

Ben.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2009, 08:12:58 AM »
Well yeah, it pops up a lot in nature and art but has little (if anything) to do with diabolo in my eyes.

Just for a Bit of mathematical trivia:The ratio of the Fibonacci sequence converges to it and it's something like (1+sqrt5)/2 (-It gives the right answer on my calculator so I think my memory is correct.)

If someone can find a practical use for this in diabolo I'd be impressed. I can't exactly think why any special number in maths would have anything to do with diabolo except for pi with circular motion and rotation. Or 'e' in some sort of population study of diaboloists... Nah i'm pushing the boat out a bit now.

EDIT: The formula monkiatzu posted could be used to find an aesthetically pleasing height of a throw with another throw or one length of string to another. Which, in the grand scheme of things is "about as useful as a c*ck flavored lollipop" -to quote dodgeball.

well using fibonacci numbers you will never be accurate of the true value of the golden ratio, but it becomes more accurate as you increase the fibonacci pairs.

Cack flavoured eww

-Leo-

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2009, 09:53:53 AM »
Hence the
The ratio of the Fibonacci sequence converges to it

Ben.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2009, 04:12:12 PM »

Midoryu

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2009, 10:05:32 PM »
Well, aside from the 11 "WTF"'s (including mine) said by the people in this thread, and the very bad taste in candy in some others, I'd have to say this is a very interesting idea that nobody could imagine what the hell it will ever be good for.  Personally, I think the comment about string length could be on to something though, seeing as how in my MB Energy set I see MB trying to tell me to set the string length according to my height proportions (eg. chest height to one diabolo).  Remember Leonardo Da Vinci?  He stated that some of the average relative measurements on a human is always in the same ratio (which one, I don't know, but I think it might be the Golden Ratio.  Even if it's not, I'm 100% certain that it's always in a constant ratio...and while the comment's still fresh in this set of parenthesis, I think it had something to do with the Vitruvian Man as well).  And if I'm totally wrong, which I doubt I could be in this case, get the super-smart adults like Sean or The Void to clarify everything about the ratios to the measurements on a normal human.  Anyway, as for string length, it could be applied that you could compare the string with your own body height so that you are taller than it by 1.61803399 times, or something to that degree.  If we push harder, I'm sure we'll find SOMETHING related to the core of this topic.

As for the rest, I'd like to say, "What do the moderators think?  Is this information useful?"

..."Are the attitudes towards this idea useful?"...
If you juggle and you know it, do [insert complex siteswap notation].

Ben.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2009, 10:31:11 PM »
although it could be put into use, string length is subject to preference, some people like long some people like short so using a formula to say this is how you should have it to be aesthetically pleasing or whatever would be irrelevant to how particular people play.
no one would notice it anyway.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal