Author Topic: Slow Motion and General filming and picture taking camera  (Read 5638 times)

ecuador16

Slow Motion and General filming and picture taking camera
« on: January 07, 2009, 07:45:02 PM »
i know that the best option for slow motion video filming and picture taking in the diabolo related area would be the new d90 but its way to expensive seeing that i just got a macbook aluminum (woot) but i found this recently announced camera
What are your thoughts on it video and diabolo geeks
no offense

Is it a decent camera for someone who is not a serious videographer who just wants to shoot some decent video

here is the link
http://i.gizmodo.com/5122401/casio-brings-1000fps-slow-motion-video-to-point-and-shoot-cameras

William

• VotW Contributor
Re: Slow Motion and General filming and picture taking camera
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 10:34:25 PM »
I think 1000fps would be a huge overkill for a diab video.
Still - I would LOVE to see some good hardcore webs with it.
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 11:21:36 PM »
I think if you just want to shoot some decent video, you'd probably be more satisfied with even the least expensive camcorders. Granted, I don't know anything about that particular Casio, the picture quality, auto-exposure, auto-focus, and all sorts of manual video controls tend to be much better on a real video camera. They aren't too expensive now either. However, if you want a digital camera that can also take some good video, then that might fit the bill. Keep in mind, that although you can take some awesome short slow motion videos at 1000fps (there are some on the forum already), the majority of the time you'll be shooting at normal speed.

I just upgraded to the D90 camera body a couple weeks ago. That is certainly not what you are looking for if you want a camera you can just set up and shoot with. If you are willing to spend lots of time setting up your shot on a tripod, jumping through hoops to set a manual exposure, set a manual focus, lock the exposure down, then you can get some amazing shots. If you want to follow something moving or just take a video of yourself diaboloing without too much thought, it is not what you want. It goes up to 720 progressive HD, which is nice, although you can probably get the same if not better quality with a much cheaper camcorder. Where the D90 really shines in video is the full creative control you can get out of your SLR lenses. In particular, the shallow depth of field just can't be recreated without ridiculously expensive professional cameras. Keep in mind also, that you're limited to ~5 minutes so the sensor doesn't overheat. Not sure if the Casio would have that limitation.

Bottom line - if you primarily want a video camera, you're still probably better off with a video camera (although that line is blurring more every year). If you want a digital camera primarily and the ability to record video secondarily, something like the camera you mentioned would be good. If you can deal without the 1000fps you can probably find a better camera/video combination at a cheaper price. 3 or 5 times optical zoom ain't much these days. You're giving up a fair bit for that slow motion fun.

dpreview.com is a good place to watch for in depth reliable reviews. Nothing up yet, but I'd bet they'll add something shortly. Their detailed reviews include more detail than you'd ever want:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Casio/

ecuador16

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 11:34:58 PM »
okay thank you guys
what i really want is that hd video in a small camera factor the 1000 fps just seems like a bonus
i dont really care about the zoom that much but would be really nice
what about those small camcorders that record to flash memory and shoot hd video?

and sean
is that d90 as good as the reviewers on wesites say it is
i would love to get one but in reality i just think it would be cool to own one but i really wouldnt have a need for it or what to do with it

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 11:43:23 PM »
The big improvement of the D90 over the D70s I had (or the D80) is the reduction of noise at high ISOs, and a better viewfinder/LCD screen I suppose. The rest is just gravy for me. Being able to play with artistic effects in the video is great... not sure if I'll use it for much diabolo filming though. 

You say 3x optical zoom is enough, but I think once you use the thing you'll realize it's not much. So much about getting good photos is about getting in closer. A good optical zoom really helps with that. They've been doing 10x optical zooms for many many years already.

I don't know the camcorder world too well at the moment unfortunately, maybe someone else can chip in.

If you want the D90 for a digital SLR camera, the D40 or the D60 would be sufficient for most people - especially as an introductory camera. Compared to the lenses, the bodies are cheap and are always upgradable. You'd probably be better off with a D40 and a better quality lens. The differences between the D40/D60/D90 are rather subtle and all are capable of taking practically the same quality image. The D40/60 are lighter too.

ecuador16

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 11:56:14 PM »
well isnt the biggest difference that the d90 is the only one that can shoot hd video or any video at all

Eric Moffett

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 12:14:59 AM »
If you would like HD video in a small form factor go for Canon's HV30. I only suggest the HV30 over their flash memory and HDD camcorders is because although it's not true 1080p like the HDD and flash memory camcorders it records in HDV not AVCHD and although AVCHD has proved superior to HDV. HDV is easier to work with, has less artifacts (like the picture tearing in panning on some of the AVCHD cameras) since it's well established and developed as a format. Besides it's just as expensive and just as small.
Diabolo Acquired - Thurday, 2/08/07
Vertax Skill Acquired - Thursday, 4/12/07
2 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Tuesday, 5/29/07
3 Diabolo Skill Acquired - Eh, No?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal