Author Topic: I am too confused!  (Read 5294 times)

Shadebob

I am too confused!
« on: March 22, 2009, 07:24:56 PM »
Hi everyone, I am a relatively new diaobler and am in the market for some new gear. I got a Mr. Babache Finesse and fiberglass hand sticks for Christmas. Now my birthday is coming up and I am wondering what all to ask for at my level.

I want a light kit, but does the added weight make it unpractical for use when the lights are turned off? And if so, is the light kit easily removable? Also, my diabolo is really scratched up and dirty(green is the color), will it still light up nicely?

Then I was thinking of getting another diabolo or two to start learning 2d and I was wondering if I should just get another finesse or get two new circus diabolos.

I just got overwhelmed by the amount of stuff on-line, since there are now juggling shops near where I live (I've checked), what does everyone recommend I get.
"Your Life Is Yours Alone! Rise Up And Live It!" -Terry Goodkind

mike.

• VotW Contributor
Re: I am too confused!
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 09:28:35 PM »
Hi. You will probably find your answers in the equipment sticky.

try to search for things before posting a new thread and post in an existing one, it makes things sooo much neater.

Mike
can't believe its not butter

Mr.D

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 11:29:51 PM »
(I think) the major part of diaboloers use finesses for 2d, so no problem there.
Many also add extra weight to their finesse(s), so dont worry about weight.

Check out the equipment stickys
If you try and don't succeed, cheat. Repeat until caught. Then lie.
http://www.questionablecontent.net

Shadebob

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2009, 12:41:57 AM »
I did check out the equipment sticky. That was the first thing I did. I was wanting some personal experiences from experienced people to share with me their opinions.

But now I plan on getting another finesse, but I still don't know about that light kit. All the links in the sticky were to discussions about home-made light kits. I was looking into buying the Evolution Kit 4 (Illumination) from juggling store.com.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 02:23:24 AM »
I did check out the equipment sticky. That was the first thing I did. I was wanting some personal experiences from experienced people to share with me their opinions.
So you're saying the 4.5 years and 1000s of posts about personal experiences didn't cut it for you but 1 or 2 more opinions is exactly what you need? There are more opinions than you could ever want in these 3 threads:
Favourite Diabolo Poll 2005-2007
Favourite Diabolo Poll 2008
Favourite Diabolo Poll 2009

but I still don't know about that light kit. All the links in the sticky were to discussions about home-made light kits. I was looking into buying the Evolution Kit 4 (Illumination) from juggling store.com.
So, this 18 page thread: Diabolo light kits (Ev. 4, Vega, Diabglo...) DANGER wasn't enough? All it took was typing "evolution kit" into the search bar (when you're not already viewing a thread because then it searches in the thread) or... just looking under the first link in the lights section of the equipment sticky. How hard was that?

I don't think most people would leave the finesse light kits on all the time. There's the possibility of breaking them from really high drops. Otherwise, I think they've greatly improved from the first generation. I had a set of those. Broke all the LED wires when I spun them too fast. Now that's quality for ya.

Shadebob

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 06:21:53 AM »
Thank you Sean for your opinions about the light kits.

I would like to say that your tone was a bit harsh for the first bit though. I didn't mean to say that the equipment sticky is useless, it is in fact very helpful when you know exactly what you want to find. It is just so big that when I started reading it, I got hopelessly confused with all the options and such.

I hope to be a relatively frequent poster on this forum, but now am rethinking that if posts by an experienced and overwhelmed new member are met with such hostility. So should I not come back until I already know what I am talking about? Or is it all right for me to make a few mistakes?

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 04:39:11 PM »
You're right. I'm sorry about that.

If you have any ideas for how we can make Diabolo.ca more user friendly for new members please let me know. After having worked on it for so many years, it's easy to lose perspective on what it must be like for someone arriving for the first time. That's what makes your ideas so valuable to us.

Shadebob

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2009, 11:37:03 PM »
I think the site is very user friendly, I just tried to learn too much at one time I think. All the advanced terms and such in most of the posts. Thanks for the apology.

To be on topic though, I have decided to get another finesse and trick it out with the finger grind axle and the led kit. Thanks for everybody's opinions.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 02:58:42 AM »
Just keep in mind that the wide axle will make them a bit less stable, especially at low speeds. They can also make some corrections with 2 diabolos more difficult. Not a problem once you get proficient at it, but they might not be the best choice to learn 2 diabolos with. Not that you can't get them now and use them later. I used to use them a lot and really liked the feeling of them. With regular axles the Finesse (or any of the major 5 inch diabolos) will be great to learn 2 diabolos with.

Chiok

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 11:25:26 AM »
The brilliant thing about them all is that if you don't like it, you can change it back to how it was via the plug-n-play functionality of the nut and bolt.  Do have fun though!

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Shadebob

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 04:08:26 PM »
Okay, I will keep that in mind for the 2d practicing. Thanks for the tip. Have you seen the duncan version of a diabolo with twist caps instead of a bolt? Wait, there is probably another topic on it, will go check and talk in that one instead.

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 03:24:08 AM »
Yeah, there's a thread on those. Stick to your Finesses.

Hathaway

• Donator
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 09:47:59 AM »
Definatley stick to your finesses!

Bish

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 01:05:54 PM »
don't worry about extra weight, it just makes the diabolo spin longer (so I've heard) light kits look REALLY cool so i would recommend getting one.

Shadebob

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 08:39:40 PM »
Thanks, I am off to the post office now to pick my new finesse and light kit up! If I can get some pics I will be sure to put them up. Thanks again for the advice everyone.

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2009, 01:22:40 AM »
I'm curious why everyone has to go to the post office to get their stuff, I always seem to get mine right to my door?
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

Terminator

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2009, 02:10:05 AM »
I dont know.  I always had it delivered to my door by UPS.  Must be painful to go all the way down to the post office. :P

martijn

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2009, 09:02:43 AM »
That only happens in some cases if you're not at home when they're delivering. Doh!

Shadebob

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2009, 10:02:57 PM »
Or if you are like me and only have a p.o. box. ha ha

How I wish for a mailbox sometimes...

Oh, and I was testing out the kit last night when some random girls came up to start taking my picture with the diabolo. So I should have some pics pretty soon. I will just put them in the what is it? Photo book thing on the forum...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal