Author Topic: Genocides - Mini Genocides  (Read 62355 times)

Andy

Genocides - Mini Genocides
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2005, 07:26:57 AM »
Hey, anyone got any tips for doing the mini-genocide after the whole infintie suicide to genocide thing? I've managed to get it some times but its always really sketchy as usually the diabolo slips down the string and hits the end of my stick making it wobble everywhere. If this doesn't happen then I never get enough height on the diabolo to do the mini-genocide though!
I'm using carbon fibres and i bet someones gonna say get aluminiums, but is there any other way i can improve these without buying new gear?

kragen

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2005, 12:22:57 PM »
which is easier - the mini genocide or the full one?

I know how to do the trick now - its just I ALWAYS miss the diabolo, if i do manage to catch it then I miss the handstick! :P

Think I've managed to pull it off once with the diabolo still spinning at the end of the trick - even then I caught the string :P
Justin
Gravity Vomit - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.

seán_

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2005, 01:30:29 PM »
Personally I got the mini one first, but now I would say I find the full version easier.

As for missing the diabolo, try and concentrate on getting everything in line, both the sticks and the swing.

Where the diabolo lands/ is caught will have a bearing on your success, so a bit of playing about with that might help.

On the full one I find it easiest to catch it quite close to my left hand, this lets the right handstick have a relatively casual swing. On the mini I try not to launch/catch too low and right.

Dont be too proud to catch the string and sort it all out later.

kragen

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2005, 05:20:33 PM »
yeah - maybe im just being an idiot and trying to "catch" the diabolo rather than just letting it land where it wants to.

I might have a go with the mini genocide as well and see if that makes things any easier.
Justin
Gravity Vomit - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.

Sharpes

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2005, 06:14:00 PM »
To Andy:

I think you're talking about a mini genocide with an extra wrap, like you do when you do infinite mini-genocides (diabolumberto's latest vidoe, trick of the week, and antonin in diabology). Antonin and diabolumberto do it where you just let go of the stick, making sure it unwraps on the correct side of the string, and then just as it passes 12 o'clock (going counterclockwise), pull up, and do the mini-genocide, the same holds for doing it on the left side (letting go with the left stick from a frontwrap). just let go, and pull just as it goes past 12.

I like to pull twice after letting go, once to propel it around, immediately after letting go, and again just after it's vertical. I find it let's me control where the diabolo goes a lot more. Hope that helped

-jacob
Jacob and Nate Sharpe

martijn

« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2005, 07:00:25 PM »
Quote from: Sharpes
I like to pull twice after letting go, once to propel it around, immediately after letting go, and again just after it's vertical. I find it let's me control where the diabolo goes a lot more. Hope that helped

Yes, I do that too. It helps me also with infinite suicide to genocide.

Sharpes

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2005, 04:13:02 PM »
I've been trying to do antonin's infinite suicide to genocide, as in popping it way high and having the stick spin like 3 times (I can do the regular pop off an catch immediately. I'm using carbon fibre's, and having no success, the highest i can get it is like 2 feet above my head.

-jacob
Jacob and Nate Sharpe

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2005, 02:55:34 AM »
Quote from: Eduardo
I made this picture, this is the way I do it, I'm not sure it is correct, but at least it works to me (once in a while :P)

ps. for righties

thank's i actually working on this your draw will be very usefull
to be or not to be that is or that is Not the question...

Alex

« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2005, 04:40:17 AM »
For mini-genocides, I actually just drop the handstick and then pull up on the string, so the handstick pulls the diabolo up.  I find it much easier than swinging the diabolo.  Of course, I don't know how well it will work for differen equipment.  I'm using regular G1 Finesse, and Henry's Carbon Fibre handsticks.

viiru

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2005, 12:47:10 PM »
One of my favourite genocide variations is worth a try. Looks much more aerial than normal geno.

First do "dot the i" trick with rather loose wrappings. When your left handstick is swinging freely downwards, launch the diabolo straight up with the left handstick, and "hitting" your hand forward at the same time(normally you would spin the string clockwise, but do it counterclockwise), and catch a handstick behind your shoulder. as a result, you'll get an "inverse" genocide and a lots of respect :).

A bit hard to explain, i'll try to make an video out of it today.

Is there a possibility to do genocide with two diabolos (both flying)? I have a faint memory that I've seen that done here in Finland but maybe I've been dreaming or so :).
It's just a world spinning around your diabolo

diabololi

« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2005, 12:59:58 PM »
Yeah, that would be prety amazing, I guess it would go into a sprinkler.

Spooned

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2005, 06:31:25 PM »
When i try a minigen the string always just wraps around the diab instead of flying off and recapturing it, any ideas about what happensor the side I throw it off, 'cause it seems to be the way that you throw it to the opposite side you would for a proper gen?
Diabolo or Diablo

JGherkin

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2005, 06:51:21 PM »
Possibly when you release the stick its going the wrong side of the string to let it unwrap? Try slowing it down and making sure you release on the right side (thats right as in right/wrong not right/left)  :)

Andy

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2005, 06:51:39 PM »
ah, the stick is going round the diabolo, but instead of undoing the backside, it is making a sun type knot. The way to get around this is to hold the stick being released either more forwards or backwards, depending on which backside you are trying it from. hope it helps...

Spooned

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2005, 07:47:08 PM »
Thanks guys, almost there now  :)
Diabolo or Diablo

Twilite

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2005, 03:55:29 PM »
I was trying these today, and have the general movement there, but am having a problem with (I think) the beginning.

---NOOB QUESTION FOLLOWS-----

To start, you back wrap, that correct? Now the terms I've used in the past didn't include 'back wrapping', but I presume it's one of two things. I've tried both and neither worked too well, but I thought I'd clarify which it was supposed to be before I went any further...

1. BackSIDE, as in the start of a coffee grinder or fritz, where there's a half cross in the strings?
2. Or a wrap around the axel like before an infinite suicide?

I presume, after reading the answer below about making it unwrap properly it's the second, but earlier on someone said about it being equivalent to an open string, if you crossed your arms, which would be the first of my two, and no one corrected that, so I'm a little confused!

I can get it close (just missing the catch) with an open string though, as a result of being unsure which way to start, which I thought was strange? Any room for variations there?

Thanks.
Curiosity may have killed a whole cat, but Schrodinger only killed half...

ronnie2tone

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2005, 01:00:59 AM »
Quote from: Spooned
When i try a minigen the string always just wraps around the diab instead of flying off and recapturing it, any ideas about what happensor the side I throw it off, 'cause it seems to be the way that you throw it to the opposite side you would for a proper gen?

I used to suffer from this as well. The solution for me was to concentrate on dropping the open stick as straight as possible and trying to keep it as straight as possible. It usually  :wink: goes to the correct side of the string

(This way also works when you are continuing onto your 2nd mini-gen as it doesn't matter which side you catch the 1st mini-gen, just aim straight)
Tossing the diabolo on a daily basis!

seán_

« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2005, 02:03:57 AM »
Twilite, it might be a bit confusing since there are several tricks mentioned in this thread
If we are talking about the base 1d tricks that most people learn first then it's backside.

Backside (or darkside) means the diabolo is on the other side of the string (such as you do for the tricks you mentioned) but not neccesarily with a cross because you can have your hands crossed instead of the string.

This is the case in the genocide and mini G mentioned in the at the start of this thread. (the diabolo will look like its on an open sting but your right hand will be over the left (or right depending on how you got the diabolo to that side)).

QUOTH

« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2005, 07:39:07 AM »
ok, this thread so far has been ALOT of help but id like a few things cleared up, if anyone could be so kind to give another newby some advice.

whats the difference between a genocide and a nmini genocide, iev read through the thread but cant spot the difefrence? and i just want to be shure that norbis video is of a mini genocide?

next question, whats the purpose of pinching the strings. is it just to help throw the diabolo directly up?

havent tried it yet, but i will today at colledge :D
If you see me please feel free to come over and give me some advice. Thanks in advance.

I use red and black circus's, wear to much black and will be at the BJC.

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2005, 10:40:53 AM »
Quote from: QUOTH

whats the difference between a genocide and a nmini genocide, iev read through the thread but cant spot the difefrence? ...

next question, whats the purpose of pinching the strings?

tada, you've worked it out. The difference is that the regular genocide is where the whole string swings around in a huge circle (becoming less and less popular these days i find, apart from out of infinite suicide) AND the mini-genocide is where you pinch the string, becuase as you may notice, its only half the size of a normal genocide, and hence.... mini.

Hope that clears it up for you.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal