Author Topic: Genocides - Mini Genocides  (Read 62346 times)

seán_

Genocides - Mini Genocides
« on: November 17, 2004, 03:44:41 AM »
in the thread on 2 diabolo mini genocides Kragen asked:

Quote from: kragen
Does anyone know where some guides for the one diabolo genocides / genocide related tricks are?

I've looked around but I cant find anything, there are a couple of mightily impressive looking video's around, but no guides.

I really want to have a go at learning after seeing Norbi's vid's they look awesome!

So I thought well if a guide doesn't exist this forum is probably a good place to gather peoples thoughts about this family of tricks.

First  of  having a look at Norbis videos (and others) is a great starting point.

I see there as being three distinct ways of doing these tricks. (but I am willing to be proven wrong)

a) Horizontal to the body, off to the left or right of centre (eg. Norbis earlier videos)

b) In front of the body in line with the right arm (the Way Andy P. does them)

c) In front of the body from infinite suicides (French style / Norbis newer videos)

I learned a) first, (mini genocides then genocides then overcides). Then at Bristol I learned b) from  Andy P. who sees it as a good method to be able to sight the diabolo and string. I havent played around with c)

How I learned to do a mini-genocide a) method. (pics to follow)

-First watch Norbis video of a mini genocide
-Then find yourself some space, you are about to do something that might come as a shock to others.
-Throw the diabolo a bit to the right and recapture so your left hand is over the right. let the diabolo settle at the bottom (this is for when you are learning, in practice all this becomes one movement) with  both sticks vertical and in line, left hand still over right, right hand lower than the left.
-Pinch the string using two fingers of the Right hand. I use my middle and index fingers but I think others use finger and thumb.
-Swing the whole thing gently to the left to about 8 o'clock.
-Swing  smoothly to the right and  as it rises let the right handstick slip from your grip.
-Keep hold of the pinch grip, you are aiming for the diabolo to be released so that it travels vertically up.
-Allow the right handstick to travel in a circle so that as the diabolo falls the string will catch the diabolo and start to encirlcle the axle.
-Do your best to catch the right hand stick (you can let go of the pinch grip now if not earlier I dont think its a conscious thing).
-A few things can happen you can find yourself in a string climb(nice) or you can miss the grab and end up with a double or more wrap to deal with. You'll work it out.

The important things I think are to keep everything smoothe and in line. Having somebody to spot you to make sure that the diabolo is being released vertically (or pretty near) and that you are swinging the string in line with the diabolo. Play about with different ways of holding the string and different paces of swings untill it works for you.
If you pinch the string close to the diabolo it will spin quicker and vice versa.
You can physically move your right hand (and whole body)  to help the catch if you haven't got the launch  quite right its if you have gone out of line where real problems seem to occur.

Once you get this, the Genocide is fairly simmilar in my opinion, just don't pinch the string and swing the right stick in a big circle using your left hand. The release is vertical / back towards the centre with a bit more height to allow for the bigger circle.
Where you can have problems is by swinging the string out of line. thats why I try and keep the left stick in line with the string. I have my knuckles facing up as I swing and release but turn my hand over as I pass 12 o'clock (I think but I'll give it some thought tomorrow night at juggling) again having somebody check your alignment (or use a video camera) should help.

heres a video of me and Mattf doing genocides, we start kind of simmilar, I catch closer to the left stick (closer than I usually do but its all good), matt ends in an infinite suicide.
[video]genocides, two different finishes

b) The way I was taught this (for Genocide)

-From around the arm orbit position turn your body 90 degrees so that you are now sideways on to the traditional way you diabolo.
-Scoop catch/scoop sun.
-Bring your left stick so it is vertical and in line with the string as the diabolo starts to rise in front of you.
-let go of the LEFT stick to allow the diabolo to rise up in the air (vertically for preference).
-Let the left stick swing in a big circle to recapture the falling diabolo.
-Catch left stick and deal with situation.

Again what you want to be looking for is trying to keep things in line. this method is good because you can see easily if you are out of line.

c) havent got a clue but suppose learning a) or b) wouldn't hurt as would learning infinite suicides

Seán_

( hope this is helpfull and isn't me trying to pass on my twisted methods. I can think of plenty of members who  would be better placed to explain this family of tricks but maybe this gets the ball rolling.)

(nb. I edited the mini genocide bit as I had said pinch with the left instead of right also I realised that when I do a genocide I launch towards the centre rather than straight up)

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2004, 07:05:22 AM »
Wow, that was quite thorough. Thanks for putting that together and getting this started. I'm interested in where this will go because I'm quite weak at genocides and I'd love to learn more.

I think some basic genocides and genocide variations would make a great video tutorial. I believe Norbi had mentioned doing something like that for us... or am I wrong... I can't remember off the top of my head. You up for doing that shortly, Norbi? I think there is definitely demand out there.

kragen

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2004, 02:08:18 PM »
Neat - thanks im definitely gonna have to give that a go :)
Justin
Gravity Vomit - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.

MattF

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 07:37:53 AM »
Sean showed me how to do a mini genocide last night. It seems a touch easier than i anticipanted. I tried it a few times before but had complete;y the wrong technique, so cheers for the info Sean. I will try to master it this week ;)

Eduardo

Re: Genocides - Mini Genocides
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2004, 05:58:16 PM »
Quote from: seán_

-Pinch the string using two fingers of the left hand. I use my middle and index fingers but I think others use finger and thumb.

I don't know if I'm wrong but should'nt the pinching be with the right hand instead?

And another question, I try this, but when my string hits the diabolo axle, it wraps once or twice on it and the diabolo goes down on the string, hitting the right stick and going to the floor. Any tips on what I'm doing wrong?

JGherkin

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2004, 07:03:25 PM »
If that were happenin its prolly worth tryin it on the other side, I dont no for sure but that'd be the first thing i'd have a look at trying, not a fellow lefty by any chance are you?   :P  either that or maybe thats wot the instruction were written in?? I haven't given a shot at followin them yet

Eduardo

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2004, 07:55:57 PM »
No, I'm not left handed, I'm telling this because of Norbi's video, it seems he pinches with the right hand...

norbi

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2004, 08:29:11 PM »
Yes i pinch with my right becuase it goes smoother into string climbs and Not-So-infinite suicides.

seán_

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2004, 02:47:36 AM »
Oops, yes that should be Right hand for the pinch, sorry

As for hitting the floor, try catching the stick after one revoloution and go into  a string climb like Norbi does or chinese whip (or simmilar wrap move). If I miss and get a couple of wraps around the axle I try and get rid of at least one quite quickly by sending it over the left stick.
It might be worth playing around with where you grip the string,  how far to the side you do this trick and how high of the floor you release and catch the diabolo and if you catch the stick below the level of the diabolo (which may lead to the diabolo slipping to the floor Eduardo) or above.
Just change these around a bit and see if that helps.

Seán_

Arjan

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2004, 02:59:58 AM »
Well, a genocide is possible at any side, from any position. But at the "wrong" side the stick goes very fast around, because of the spinning of the diabolo, but it is possible to do it. These tricks look very cool in combo`s

Eduardo

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2004, 09:57:08 AM »
Woot!! I pulled it, twice last night, now I'm having a hard time catching the stick, most times it either hits my hand and bounces or I just miss it (I don't know how) and it wraps several times on the axle... but I'm very very happy for those two succesful ones.

kragen

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2004, 01:37:16 PM »
bah, ive just had a go at doing this and I cant manage it...

-Throw the diabolo a bit to the right and recapture so your left hand is over the right. let the diabolo settle at the bottom (this is for when you are learning, in practice all this becomes one movement) with both sticks vertical and in line, left hand still over right, right hand lower than the left.

So after this step there will be an open string, but only if your left hand is to the right of your right?

-Pinch the string using two fingers of the Right hand. I use my middle and index fingers but I think others use finger and thumb.

Wherabouts do you pinch the string? At this point a picture would be good because I completely cant visualise this :S

Also when the diabolo hits the string again wherabouts is the righthandstick in relation to the left?

I've been trying to piece together this method with one of norbi's video's but I cant seem to find one in which he follows this method... im completely lost :S

thanks for any help :)
Justin

Eduardo

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2004, 03:48:12 PM »
I made this picture, this is the way I do it, I'm not sure it is correct, but at least it works to me (once in a while :P)

ps. for righties

Arjan

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2004, 03:54:13 PM »
Your picture is down  :cry:
Hmmm now it isn`t anymore... nice!

kragen

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2004, 04:44:35 PM »
ah cool! :D

Thanks that makes things a LOAD clearer.

I will give that a try tomorrow...
Justin

murifri

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2004, 08:02:40 PM »
I broke my Henry's carbon fibre at juggle club on monday.  I was practicing the genocide into infinite suicide a little too close to a wall and the stick hit a light fitting.  I got the stick back and it was all bendy.

Now what does this have to do genocides i hear you wonder...

A mate lent me some Mr. Babache aluminums until I could get down to the juggling shop to get some more sticks.   But low and behold, as soon as I try anouther genocide it works like ca charm.  The aluminum sticks are so much better for genocides and infinite suicides, the extra weight really helps to keep the stick rotating and the diabolo in the air.

But the ones I'm using now are far too long, so next set of sticks I get are going to be much smaller aluminiums, the wide world of genocides beckons.

seán_

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2004, 04:48:46 PM »
Quote from: Eduardo
I made this picture, this is the way I do it, I'm not sure it is correct, but at least it works to me (once in a while :P)

The drawings right, thanks for that I was hoping to get a pic but have lent my camera out.

I tend to pinch the string about a third of the length from the left stick. Although I said release straight up for both tricks I believe I release so the diabolo comes back towards the centre for the genocide so that i can catch it near the leftstick (I like to end the trick in a stopover, infinite suicides are for those who can't catch the stick ;) )

heres a video of me and Mattf doing genocides, we start kind of simmilar, I catch closer to the left stick (closer than I usually do but its all good), matt ends in an infinite suicide.
[video]genocides, two different finishes

I'll try and get a mini genocide on tape but it would be fairly simmilar to the way Norbi does his (without the style or the string climb ;) ) Norbi, mini genocide

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2004, 05:23:20 PM »
Nice little video! This thread and videos like that have finally convinced me to delve further into the world of genocides. There's been some serious neglect of these tricks on my part in the past!  :roll:

Sean

seán_

alternative way to get into Mini g
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2005, 08:24:14 PM »
In [Tutorial] Arjan's 2 diabolo mini genocide, by norbi there is an excelent description and video showing how to do a 1d minigenocide.

Basically the differences between the one described earlier in this thread are, the use of a finger to rotate the string upon launch rather than a pinch (you can see this on the diabology educational video as well) and the method of getting the diabolo on the darkside of the string.

Norbi uses a couple of inverted stopovers as a magic knot on the Right side then throws it across to the left and does a mini g (the Right hand will be over/infront of the Left in this version a small point which will make it feel a bit different at first)

I have been using magic knots on the left to enter mini g's and genocides recently, its very simmilar I just like doing knots on that side and means you can enter it from different tricks.

mitchelljuggles

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2005, 04:50:20 AM »
Ive been playing around with some genocides of late. the other day was using wooden sticks and something went wrong! the string wrapped around the axel and i copped the wrong end of the stick on my eyebrow. :oops: Its a very cool trick and i plan not to let a mild concussion keep me from mastering this one!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal