Author Topic: Competition tricks  (Read 4795 times)

Terminator

Competition tricks
« on: April 06, 2009, 10:16:51 PM »
So I have a competition coming up on April 26 and as have only diaboloed for half a year,  I have no very good combos.  I can do do 2 diabolos but very few tricks and my best 1 diabolo trick would probably be an infinite suicide.  I need tips on stage presence for competitions and good combos I can practice. :-D

Chiok

• Donator
Re: Competition tricks
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 11:13:00 AM »
Just a few background questions:
What is the competition for?  What type of competition is it?  How long do you have to perform?  Why do you think diabolo is the best way to win?

Performing is well discussed on these forums, so a read through a few previous threads should get you the general information you need.  But I can understand wanting to have some personal advice.

Chiok
www.gravityvomit.co.uk - Gravity pulls down, we throw up.
University of Bath Juggling and Circus Skills

Terminator

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 12:35:26 PM »
Oh.... it is a diabolo competition and I have to perform for 2 and a half to 3 and a half minutes.

LaNgErZ

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 03:51:39 PM »
moyo

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 04:03:25 PM »
Hello!

I think that you are going to perform to non jugglers? If so.. Then show all the cool looking tricks!

If you have a high space then throw in a high throw if not bounce your diabolo like 10 times on your string above your head.

Do a elevator pedal. Or a regulair lift!

A whipcatch always looks good! If you can do a duicide after it then do it!

Inifnite suicide is also great =) Maybe you can try to do a around the leg and then make a trapeze on your right side and come out in a infnite suicide? So.. Just try to think of all the tricks that just look great! And in the end.. You can do 2 diabolos a 2 diabolo shuffle always looks good enough =) Maybe do a 2 over the leg if you can and end in a leg stall with 2 after a view shuffles?

I hope you can do something with this =)

Ramon

n3mo

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 04:17:30 PM »
are there judges? ones who know diabolo?
if they know diabolo, you can try some technical tricks that aren't quite as showy.
if they don't know diabolo (like the ones i've been in...) just treat it as a performance - if you can get the audience to respond favorably, its good.

make up your own combos - see what tricks you have that you are comfortable with, and see if they can string together, especially if the tricks 'orbit' the same way. doing basic suns, for example, can lead you straight into arm satellites, and if you add one or two arm satellite variations, you've already got yourself a pretty sweet combo.

good luck with the competition!
- Princeton Juggling Club -

Terminator

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 09:12:43 PM »
they know about diabolo.

Shadebob

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 07:28:01 AM »
I just wanted to pop in here to say thanks a lot to zwigglebig for that under the leg to infinite suicide idea. I know it isn't anything groundbreaking, but it just opened up a whole new way of thinking to tricks I can do!

And as for contest moves, I can't even think of a routine, except for the one I do that goes from macaroni to a complicated fritz release to a sun. It doesn't last long and isn't hard, but I think it is a pretty good combo.
"Your Life Is Yours Alone! Rise Up And Live It!" -Terry Goodkind

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 09:09:41 PM »
I just wanted to pop in here to say thanks a lot to zwigglebig for that under the leg to infinite suicide idea. I know it isn't anything groundbreaking, but it just opened up a whole new way of thinking to tricks I can do!

And as for contest moves, I can't even think of a routine, except for the one I do that goes from macaroni to a complicated fritz release to a sun. It doesn't last long and isn't hard, but I think it is a pretty good combo.

Haha great! Np for that =) It feels good that you had something about the things I said  :-D Hmm.. Im not good at routines or combo's either.. I really suck at them I don't have a routine myself either.. If I perform I just do something.. Or think of the tricks I'm gonna do and add them in a certain order.

I can do 1 great body combo Ceri-Anne teached me and I'm really happy for that! I wish I knew more body combo's but I myself can't think of any =| Well maybe you could write down the tricks you can and then set them in a certain order on the paper? Like really cool tricks at the end or at the start and all your middle tricks in the middle =)

PcwizCube

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 03:21:12 AM »
Ah.  April 26.  Time limit is from 2:30 - 3:30.  That sounds familiar.....

It's the ANJCS (previously known as ACS) diabolo competition.  Association of New Jersey Chinese Schools.  I've been there twice, in 2007 and 2008.  I got 3rd place in 2007 but in 2008 a lot of good people came =(

Hopefully, like 2008 we will be performing on a stage, and hopefully all of the different color lights will not be on maximum so that when you throw the diabolo up you can actually see it (haha you actually can see it but one time I did a trick and I couldn't find the diabolo in the air)....

There will be judges I'm not sure but I think some of them are parents of the competitors???? 

Anyway, you've probably never been there before and the people are good...... well at least hard for me to beat.  They were good in 2008 I can't imagine what will happen in 2009... 3d this year? XD (yeah we stink but the time limit is nothing you can't really do much)

And what group will you be in?  There will be youth (Primary/Elementary School), Junior (middle school), and Senior (high school).  If your'e in Junior or Senior you will have some pretty tough competition, especially since you've only do it for half a year  :o  And for duo performance it's all ages

Videos from 2008:

1st Place Senior: Stephen Kuo CLS YoYo Compeition 2008

2nd Place Senior: ACS Chinese Yoyo Singles 2008

2nd Place Junior: ACS Chinese Yoyo Jr. Division Singles This guy is incredible quad exalibur genocide!!!! He should have gotten 1st

1st Place Duo: ACS Chinese Yoyo 1st Place Doubles 2008

3rd Place Duo: ACS Chinese Yoyo Competition 2008 Doubles 3rd Place

Videos from 2007:

1st Place Senior: ACS 1st Place Singles ( Better Quality/ Angle)

2nd Place Senior: ACS-NJ Chinese Yo-Yo Contest: second place solo

3rd Place Senior: ACS-NJ Chinese Yo-Yo Contest: third place solo

1st Place Duo: ACS Doubles

2nd Place Duo: ACS Doubles 2

I'm going to start out with some tosses, arm/back tricks, leg tricks, chinese aka unwrapped infinite suicide (if I can get the ending down), exalibur genocide.  Then two diabolo, idk, I stink at it.  Hopefully I can place.  I will try Tony Frebourg's 2d start I think that will help me tremendously :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal