Author Topic: What has diabolo done for you?  (Read 7533 times)

seaneatsmuffins

What has diabolo done for you?
« on: April 07, 2009, 05:21:52 PM »
Hi just wondering what diabolo has done for you guys. Well for me it has me going outside and getting more fresh air than when i didnt have one it also keeps me off the couch for an hour or two but tell everyone what it has done for you 
Nobody else like me

Alex!

• VotW Contributor
Re: What has diabolo done for you?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 05:22:15 PM »
Hurt me
STOP! HAMMER 'TIJN

The Void

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 06:00:29 PM »
Ask not what your diabolo can do for you, but what can you do for your diabolo?

The Void
With his brain on her knee, poor Jackie
Read the thread? Get the gear! VERTAX IS RUBBISH and other tees & hoodies: https://tlmb.net/tees

Hathaway

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2009, 06:09:43 PM »
Sometimes I wonder wether I'm just a man with sticks and a diabolo, or if I'm really just some sticks and a diabolo that has a man play with me.

seán_

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 06:16:09 PM »
Ask not what your diabolo can do for you, but what can you do for your diabolo?

'We do these things with diabolos, not only because they are easy, but because they are hard'

Diabolo has given me the opportunity to follow a new path in life, to work in interesting places, to travel, meet new people and friends... They've got me 'Layed, paid and waylaid'
Also in a roundabout way they also lead to tomorrows job (which I cant talk about yet but doubt that many have had a stranger one)

Mark

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 08:20:39 PM »
Injured Me But Made Me More Popular  :-D

GbH

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 10:50:28 PM »
What a good question.  I instinctively want to answer it, yet when I try to think about it, my head just explodes in a big jumble of stuff. 

Diabolo wasn't the first type of juggling I tried, neither was it something that particularly interested me to start with.  But thanks to that now-legendary workshop at the Bradford EJC in 1998, a chain of diabolo-related events were set in motion that would have a profound impact on my interest in juggling, my willingness to perform, my self-confidence and many of things that have happened in my life since then.  I realise this might sound a bit over-dramatic - it is just a toy we're talking about here, after all.  But that really is how things seem to have worked out for me. 

wagnerBCJ

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 11:47:03 PM »
made me popular and give me some fun!

Midoryu

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 05:29:10 AM »
Sounds like an 'English' question.

I'll answer with an 'English' answer:

It seems that Diabolo is not so different from Pandora's Box.  The knowledge of Diabolo can stick as much to one's mind as the contents of the Box can to humankind.  Knowledge is often described as a magnet to the mind; the mind is burdened forever once it comes into contact with information.  Thusly, any evil thoughts that get stuck to one's mind is a curse.  If one's mind is addicted to something, it is unlikely that such person will ever be rid of this hunger for substance.  Diabolo, therefore, has stuck to me as much as addiction has to the mind.  In fact, there is so much similarity between the coherence of Diabolo and addiction to the mind, it could be said that Diabolo is addiction.  Any consequent knowledge of Diabolo play will soon follow, like a quaking black hole that consumes more as its singularity increases with knowledge of the universe - the Diabolo universe.  Diabolo is, therefore, a curse; a curse to be intoxicated in hours of exhilarating exercise and ultimately the fate of never being able to let go of it.

...I'm getting nowhere trying to connect Pandora's Box with Diabolo, but it sure does reflect what I think.
If you juggle and you know it, do [insert complex siteswap notation].

Shadebob

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 07:34:45 AM »
While I won't know the long term effects this wonderful object has had on me, I can answer for the short term.

The discovery of the diabolo has finally gotten me excited about a sport/hobby like no other has ever before. It makes me feel like I did when I played in a youth sports league in my childhood. By this I mean that I can give this my all and nothing will hold me back. I may not win any talent shows or be famous, but I will give this hobby 100% until I can no longer hold the sticks.

And it has gotten me outside, more respect in my juggling club, and one or two chick's phone numbers ;)
"Your Life Is Yours Alone! Rise Up And Live It!" -Terry Goodkind

martijn

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 08:07:47 AM »
It's my most successful hobby as in terms of liking it and keeping it fun for over 5 years now. I would even go as far as saying it's one of my biggest passions in life, if not the biggest.

What it has done for me... meeting a lot of great people, travelling around in Europe and having a sh*t load amount of fun :)

Aaron Z

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 10:41:53 AM »
Made my right arm improportionally buff.

Crackers

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 01:55:18 PM »
Got me frustrated  :P

zwiggelbig

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 03:10:25 PM »

Diabolique

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 04:39:33 PM »
earnt me money: today i went out and busked for a few hours got around £17 but this guy asked me if it was my hobby and i replied it is my hobby and it is a very good hobby: it has made me rich!
i have earnt a few hundred pounds since i started diabolo!
and it has made people tease me :(
so what ? money is better than street credit (unless it affects your money :))

Paino

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2009, 10:32:45 PM »
it has made me no mony made me have a wonky nose and made me lose a girlfriend but i still love it :)

wgm

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2009, 11:19:45 PM »
Diabolo almost killed my juggling ability.
now i need to learn to limit myself

mykill

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2009, 12:10:30 AM »
nothing at all
fun and frustrating. sometimes feels good when ur performing and ppl clap :D
This was a 5 star post ★☆★☆★

Bish

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2009, 01:15:50 PM »
shouldn't the question be... what hasn't the daibolo done for you?

William

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2009, 01:36:23 PM »
Got me money, fame and possibly fortune to come.
Do I make the diabolo sexy. Or is it the diabolo that makes me sexy?
William - YouTube! "NO! If they're blue, you should not touch your nuts." - Aaro

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal