Author Topic: sundia tightening  (Read 4872 times)

alfster48

sundia tightening
« on: April 21, 2009, 07:15:18 PM »
Hey everyone.
i have a problem with the new sundia crystal suns i bought,
i have been playing with them non stop, and they are great!
its just sometimes when i practice for a long period of time the cups get very loose and it is extremely difficult to tighten them (since the nuts are quite small).
Can any of you give me tips on how to solve this???

thank you for your appreciation.

alfie 

seaneatsmuffins

Re: sundia tightening
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 08:24:49 PM »
you can just turn the cups
Nobody else like me

wgm

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 09:39:41 PM »
use a wrench or turn the nuts backwards and screw on with a wrench

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 12:08:34 AM »
you can just turn the cups
That only works with the new Sun plastic washers. I assume he would have figured that out if that was the case.

You need a screwdriver style socket wrench, or any socket wrench with a long neck. A T-style socket wrench or one of those 3 way ones would work too. Ideally you want 2 of them. A 10mm one works for me.

K

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 03:29:10 AM »
That happens to me sometimes. Ive found if you figure out which cup loosens as it turns towards you push on the nut as you twist the cup away from you. Also I have metal washers just incase it helps XD

-K
Im left handed. Get over it!

Donguacha

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 03:09:38 PM »
i have the same problem with my sundia fly. Do the methods in this threads work for sundia flys too o.O

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 03:25:24 PM »
Do the methods in this threads work for sundia flys too
Look, I'm not sure I understand the 'methods' described by others in this thread. It's simple - if they're loose then tighten the nuts. Tightening 2 nuts on a bolt works for any 2 nuts and a bolt. The flys have the advantage that each side is held firm so you can tighten each side independently. You can hand tighten all you want, but (unless you have the new Sun plastic washers) they're always going to come loose again eventually. You need to get wrenches of some kind.

If you're really having trouble, which you shouldn't if you use wrenches, you could use a little Loctite or other thread locking glue.

Toby

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 03:51:09 PM »
Heres something thats unlikely to help you but you never know. Instead of using a wrenches of some kind, you may happen to have a lightkit thats broken arround the bit where the nut its held inside the plastic. If so, break the plastic off, if it isn't already, so that you can pull the nut from the lightkit out leaving a cavity where it once was. The lightkit then acts as a small hand wrench that's easy to carry arround, uses something that would just be pointless otherwise by just pop the cavity over the nuts and twisting them tighter gripping the side of the light kit.

mike.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 06:24:15 PM »
well then, if you did that wouldn't they work as a wrench of some kind?
can't believe its not butter

ERIK da blue

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 06:28:37 PM »
Just turn the cups, and if that doesn't work, I find that taking them apart and putting them back together (still using the cups for tightening) works perfectly.
Sideways is rubbish

Hathaway

• Donator
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 06:45:16 PM »
The lightkit then acts as a small hand wrench that's easy to carry arround, 
well then, if you did that wouldn't they work as a wrench of some kind?
Way to read the post muggins. He was clearly explaining a way of turning something that would otherwise be useless into something useful.

mike.

• VotW Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 08:13:19 PM »
if you read his post he was saying that he didn't need a wrench of some kind by using the light kit as a wrench. i think that kind of proved himself wrong...muggins
can't believe its not butter

Sean

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 08:18:01 PM »
Dudes, it's all semantics. Let's get better to more important things like tightening nuts and discussing saw forums.

nev

• Donator
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 08:20:02 PM »
If your crystals suns have metal washers then they should have small locking washers on to stop them loosening.

If you bought them from me and they don't (some early ones did not) then tell me your order number and I'll send some free ones.

Once they are tightened (with 10mm spanner (wrench in US) or socket) they should not come loose with these in place.

If they have plastic washers then they will come loose occasionally and you can only tighten these by hand with the cups - loctite (threadlock) will hold them much tighter as will a bit of plumbers tape (PTFE) or a small bit of plastic bag wrapped around the thread before you tighten.

The best tools for tightening most diabolos are socket sets

As you can just change the socket bit for different size nuts or types / brands of diabolo.

NOTE - for the fly, you can't tighten by the cups - only by using a 10mm socket.  & Don't force the Fly too tight or you can bend the inner washer and bind the bearing (there needs to be a small gap on each side of the axle for it to spin) - Hand tight plus one more turn is plenty - if you do overtighten, take it all apart and flip the bent inner washers over to fix it.
www.Diabolomoves.co.uk/diabolos/ - shop for Sundia diabolos, Handsticks & String

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal